Sport Horse Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter is already killing me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter is already killing me.

Record breaking cold already most of last week. Dreading another polar vortex winter. The struggle is real.

Yup, recording breaking cold and snow here in Southern Ontario. Took everyone by surprise. Over 400 accidents in one night because people didn't have snow tires on.

Made barn chores extra difficult and painful, lol. But next week is supposed to be mild again and rain.

Today was only a high of +4 or 5 C but it felt lovely compared to -17.

Comment

We had 6" of blowing snow some days ago and were in single F digits a couple mornings.
      Had some 6' drifts against the barns.
      Almost got snowshoes out to walk to the barn.
      We are supposed to get snow again next Thursday-Friday.

Just a taste of winter in the fall, will see what real winter brings.

Comment

Ugh, yes, the cold plus I have a cold. I hope time flies and it’s mud season before I know it.

Comment

I was scheduled for driving lesson #2 on Wednesday, at 29 Fahrenheit the trainer rescheduled me, because driving you don't generate the internal body heat you get from say, a posting trot. Our limit for ridden lessons was 20 Fahrenheit, after that it's too hard for man and beast. Went Thursday at 40 Fahrenheit instead, and my feet were frozen regardless.

And all my mums froze.

Just hope we don't get 13 inches overnight like we did one time, it drifts up here from bare to twice as deep, ugh.
          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
          Incredible Invisible

Comment

These drastic shifts are the new normal. We have gone from -30C to above zero and raining in two days. Had two mild (gas) colics already. Not sure how to deal with the unstable polar vortex.
            Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

20’s/30’s earlier in the week, but dry and sunny. This weekend was high 40’s, windy, gray, and damp. The cold, dry, sunny weather was much better than the nor’easter. I hate the damp wind of wintertime.
              "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

Originally posted by CHT View Post
                These drastic shifts are the new normal. We have gone from -30C to above zero and raining in two days. Had two mild (gas) colics already. Not sure how to deal with the unstable polar vortex.
                That sounds like a day last week where we went from 66° F down to 19° F in less than 12 hours. That is always fun.
                ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Yup I'm over it as well. Moving a hundred miles south for the winter--it won't be warm but even a little warmer will help. I'm setting up my big camper for winter living on the water---should be interesting!

Comment

I have specific hobbies I only pursue in winter or summer --though I ride all year --summer I work on my mounted archery skills ---shooting, riding the course, building more targets. I take a lesson/training once a month in the hunt country to improve horse and me over fences --then practice at home. And I have a hosta garden I work on (can't kill them with my not-so-green thumb).

In the winter --I only fox hunt once a week and only jump when hunting. Rest of the time is "vegetable riding" --you know --you have to do it but it's not as much fun --checking fences, traps, working on transitions, backing, in hand work, tricks --brushing long fuzzy coats.

But winter is also when I have time to paint --I do oil painting to suit myself --I'm not very good, but I paint pictures of my horses, green grass, cats, kids, whatever strikes me. Right now I'm working on a painting of my dog sleeping on my couch. I paint by a window and can look outside at the cold and snow . . . .meanwhile, I am also writing short (1500 words --had to limit myself because I do tend to go on-and-on) bio of each horse I've ever owned --17 total. I was thinking about them one day --all the adventures we'd had together --and realized if I didn't write them down, no one would ever know how great those horses were--not even their names! ---so each one gets a 1500 word story about something we did together that captures their personality -then I will find a favorite photo to put with it. I think I will just use a 3-ring binder, but maybe I'll fancy it up and take it to Staples for binding. Right now I'm on horse four . . .but I do find that writing, while fun, puts me at the computer where I do tend to become distracted and post at Coth !!!

Maybe someday when I'm a very, very old lady ---and I can't even remember my name ---I'll read those stories and think, "my, what a wonderful horse!" and for that moment, my old friends will exist again.

I enjoy all seasons -but find planning ahead for days when I really can't be outside, helps.

Comment

• Original Poster

Foxglove I admire your coping strategies.

Comment

We got 8 inches of snow a week ago and today is the first day that there is substantial melting. I am crazy mad over it already and it is not even November 20th.

Comment

Foxglove
                          I am a total Grasshopper to your Ant
                          I slow down to near comatose in Winter.

Garden hibernates. I envy it.
                          Enforced exercise is layering up to feed horses & round up chickens. 3 X daily for the trek of 250' to the barn & back.
                          Barn Aerobics = shifting bales down from the rafter-high stack & picking stalls.
                          Horses get a cursory grooming, more if they have breaded themselves in mud.
                          Lessons go on hold or once a month visit from Dressage trainer. Temps below 30F & all bets are off.
                          Driving mini goes on vacation.
                          My Club had a drive Saturday, when weather cooperated: near 40F, sunny & little wind.
                          I rode along in a farm wagon behind a team of Belgians.
                          If we get the promised high 40s this week, I may put a saddle on the Walker & see if he & I remember anything.
                          *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                          Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                          Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                          Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I moved to Middle TN five years ago, partially to escape the nasty Pennsylvania winters.

This year, however, we went from 99* the second week of October to below freezing at night the last week of October, with a couple days last week that never made it over freezing during the day. I felt like we didn’t have fall this year, and spring was almost nonexistent as well.

I feel bad for y’all up north. I do not have it in me to do those kinda winters anymore!
                            "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

2DogsFarm --you should write humor --your posts always make me laugh! "breaded themselves in mud" --reminded me of Shake-and-Bake chicken ---lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Foxglove View Post
                                2DogsFarm --you should write humor --your posts always make me laugh! "breaded themselves in mud" --reminded me of Shake-and-Bake chicken ---lol!
                                I blush.
                                Best is when they've only done one side & I am so relieved they stayed clean(ish).... Then they show me the other side
                                *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I feel your pain ---Hail Caesar was a snow-white 3-Day horse my daughter showed for 10 years --of course the princess had to be rested to take that big horse over those really big jumps that don't fall down --so that put me (mom) in charge of Hail Caesar's turnout. He and I bonded over 4:00 AM cold bucket baths --he never complained --just stood like a stone while I scrubbed away ---he was a heart breaker, though ---I'd pull into the show grounds, put the flashlight on him and see a dazzling white horse --then he'd turn around and be solid green with poop in his ear. We did blanketing --he would have a spotless blanket and !!Surprise!! poop under it. I did learn to carry baby-wipes --ideal for wiping poop of hocks before they go into the dressage ring . . .

Comment

Our weather has always been ... interesting.

When local news stations get a new weather person, those always say how happy they are to be here.
                                    Our weather is oh so interesting, more than most any other place in the US, changing every minute, every season, all year long.
                                    We are where several air masses are squeezed and clash, from different directions.
                                    Some of those, a mere 100 miles one or another way those go makes a huge difference.
                                    That drives weather models crazy and makes weather people very happy.

We may have one summer we are 100F+ for a couple or three months, another one we only have a handful of 100F days.
                                    Some winters it snows first of December and we don't see the ground until some February thaw and spend weeks below freezing, days below 0F, while others we have been starting colts in short sleeves in January.
                                    With weather like that, when someone wants to get away from real hot summers or cold winters, they don't come here, because we have both.

This winter, they are calling for wet and warm for us.
                                    That generally means, plenty of snow.
                                    Already had a good start with the 6" a couple weeks ago and more to come Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxglove View Post
                                      I feel your pain ---Hail Caesar was a snow-white 3-Day horse my daughter showed for 10 years --of course the princess had to be rested to take that big horse over those really big jumps that don't fall down --so that put me (mom) in charge of Hail Caesar's turnout. He and I bonded over 4:00 AM cold bucket baths --he never complained --just stood like a stone while I scrubbed away ---he was a heart breaker, though ---I'd pull into the show grounds, put the flashlight on him and see a dazzling white horse --then he'd turn around and be solid green with poop in his ear. We did blanketing --he would have a spotless blanket and !!Surprise!! poop under it. I did learn to carry baby-wipes --ideal for wiping poop of hocks before they go into the dressage ring . . .
                                      I always wondered how horses managed to get manure under the blankets without opposable thumbs?

Comment

My coping mechanism was leaving. I had enough of riding in 10F temps.
                                        I paid my dues.
                                        Had zero intention of getting my own farm just to deal with full water buckets frozen completely solid.
                                        This past weekend, Saturday and Sunday both had a high in the mid-50s and it was "misting" all day both days, overnight lows in the 40s. I was not a happy rider. I rode with a friend on Saturday, and gave up after like 40 minutes. Couldn't feel my fingers. She laughed - "No wonder you left Ohio."
                                        My mom sent me photo of their snow/slush in Ohio on Friday. Definitely don't miss that.

I don't envy any of you up there with farms as these winters get worse. Sending warm vibes!
                                        Custom tack racks!
                                        www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

Working...
                                        X