Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Driveway
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Sort of a spin-off: What just for fun horse show classes have you ridden in or observed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sort of a spin-off: What just for fun horse show classes have you ridden in or observed?

Reading the thread about costumes for horses brought back so many memories of the "just for fun" horse show classes I used to enter with my horse.
    Costume was one of them, of course, but there were many others.

My favorites were:
    Water glass-ride at called for gait while holding a cup of water in one hand. Winner was rider with most water left at end!
    Egg and spoon-same idea but holding an egg on a spoon in one hand. Last rider with their egg wins!
    Break and Out-ride at called for gait and transitions had to be immediate. My horse rocked this class!

Fun classes weren't limited to just barn play days either, they were offered at most shows in the area. They weren't point earners at the local saddle club shows but they did award ribbons for them(and a bit of money at the fair, lol!) so if you were having an off day in the regular classes there was always a chance to not go home empty handed by entering a fun class or two!

So what were/are your favorites? What is the funniest one you've ever seen? Do/did you have a horse that excelled at a fun class?

Our club has a timed event called Dressage by the Letters. We use a driving size arena. 6' "gates" marked with cones at all letters including the CL. Enter at A, go thru gates in alpha order, exit after x.... Lots of fun.

Comment

Oh, so many! Ride a buck (I kick butt at this, especially on my current horse), ribbon pairs, dizzy bat, catalog race....I'm sure there are more. I LOVE doing the fun classes
      \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

Comment

Ring Spearing! Local riding club playday class.

Three tiny rubber rings hanging from strings, off an upside down L shaped bracket attached to the rail, about 20 feet apart. We were given what seemed to be a pool cue to be used like a knight's lance. Time and accuracy to count. Though you really had to go fast, if you missed a ring it was hard to make up the points.

It was weird but fun. It was eons ago, I have no idea if anyone still offers that class.
        I won a really nice silver platter for winning that class at one of our biggest club shows. Those were the days of really nice trophies.

Comment

I know ride a buck (bareback keep a dollar bill between your thigh and horse), but dizzy bat etc I’ve never heard. What are they?

Comment

One barn I boarded at would do a fall fun show. The best class to watch was the costume hobby horse class for the non-horsey husbands and fathers. One guy pranced around in a tutu and tiara. It was great fun.

The kids had relay classes, trail classes, costume classes and a trick or treat trail ride.

Comment

My barn had a Halloween fun show last year and had a fun relay race. Proceed at gait of rider's choice from starting line to end of arena. Dismount. Horse bobs for apples. Rider sidles up underneath a row of donuts suspended from a clothesline. Once both parties have eaten their treat, remount and proceed back to starting line. Horse must finish his apple prior to remounting; there is no penalty for a rider who is still chewing while crossing the finish line.

As my horse approached the line, we agreed that there would be no penalty if the horse finished the rider's donut, provided the horse finished his apple first. (I believed it plausible that my horse would select his own donut. Or four.) My horse won. He ate half my donut. He had a pretty good day.
              "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Comment

Old clothes race. A pile of old, oversized clothes was at one end of the arena. Riders are timed as they gallop from one end, dismount, put on clothes, remount (some horses objected!) and gallop back.

Comment

Bribe Your Pony

A Liberty-type class with a course of very small (< 2') jumps you had to convince your (untacked) horse to jump/follow you over.
                  Any kind of treat incentive allowed.

Friend's DraftX mare appeared to be aiming a kick at friend, who dared to withhold a treat for effort over every fence.

My own shareboarded QH gleefully took off jumping everything randomly & forcing me to walk him down when time was called

​​​​​
                  *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                  Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                  Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                  Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

We did the bribe class as well, but it was a full trail course with the bridge, weaving cones, poles and a log etc. Super fun! Here are some others we've had at fun shows.

Bubblegum race: timed event or race: ride to far end, get e piece of that really hard Double Bubble bubble gum, chew til you could blow a bubble over one inch, ride back.

Donut race: timed or actual race, depending on numbers. Ride to far end, halt, Eat a donut suspended on a pole without touching it, ride back.

Catalog race: timed event or actual race. Ride to far end, dismount, find a specified item in a catalog, tear it out and ride back, hand page to judge at end for verification.

Command class: gaits, transitions, halts, etc. called out with fairly fast count to three. Anyone not doing the command on 3 is eliminated until one remains (hand gallop to halt is a great way to weed out a group...) Halts also because command must be maintained until the next is given, and moving a foot on a long halt is elimination.

TP command class: variation on above, done in pairs. Each pair has a 6-foot length of toilet paper or crepe paper that they must hold onto as commands are given. Dropped or torn paper = elimination.

Not really a "fun" class per se, but my favorite show class was always road hack, a rail class that called for W/T/C plus extended trot and hand gallop. I loved it, and my horse at the time always placed well because he had a true 4-beat hand gallop while many, if not most just got a fast canter. I loved that class, but apparently it's a northeast thing because I've never seen one offered at shows around here.

Comment

Favorites (already mentioned above, but) were dollar bareback and command-break-and-out. Now I'm going to be feeling nostalgic the rest of the evening. Fun thread!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chall View Post
                        I know ride a buck (bareback keep a dollar bill between your thigh and horse), but dizzy bat etc I’ve never heard. What are they?
                        Gosh, we had to sit on the dollar, in other words, keep the dollar between our horse and our backside.

Comment

Originally posted by MsM View Post
                          Old clothes race. A pile of old, oversized clothes was at one end of the arena. Riders are timed as they gallop from one end, dismount, put on clothes, remount (some horses objected!) and gallop back.
                          We did this...but with a twist. It was a relay. Rider 1 is at one end of the arena with the horse. Rider 2 is at the other end. At the word go, rider 1 puts on the old clothes, which were very large jeans and Tshirt, (That alone added a challenge keeping them up, haha.) mounts, races to the other end. When they cross a line, rider 1 dismounts and gets out of the clothes for rider 2 to put on. Rider 2 then mounts and races back. I used to do this as a kid with my mom! And she was never much of a rider. We had it down to an art, though. As she was dismounting, I was pulling the Tshirt over her had and putting it over mine inside out. Then she was out of the jeans and she helped me get them on and away I went. Ah, what find memories! This was over 30 years ago. We won this classes a few times.

Though not necessarily a class, a few years ago I joined a western drill team. We were 5 women competing against large teams of teens who kicked our butts every time, but we had tons of fun!!

Comment

Not a “fun show” class, but when I was growing up, the Arabian shows used to always have ride & drive, as well as multidiscipline classes (western + saddle seat + hunt seat). They were pretty fun. I also always enjoyed native costume, which doesn’t seem to be as big of a deal today as it was in the 1980s.
                            Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

A few years ago I had a fun in barn Christmas show.

One of the "classes" I help was "pin the face on the snowman". I had a paper snowman on the wall, and riders had to pick up the face pieces, ride to the snowman, and stick them to the appropriate place (the pieces were slightly sticky).

Another was like the Dollar Bill class, but instead I made them carry a carrot under their leg and they had a saddle. Highly entertaining for me.

A non-riding class was throwing "road apples" into target buckets. Also entertaining for me.
                              Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Chall View Post
                                Dizzy bat: (Timed event) - gallop length of arena, dismount and grab a baseball bat. Put your forehead on the end of the bat with the other end on the ground. Circle around the bat a specified number of times, keeping bat in contact with forehead and ground. Remount and gallop back to finish line. (YOU are the dizzy bat )

Comment

Some classes I remember from the UK:

Relay jumping - jump a course, pass a whip to rider 2 who jumps course too. Fastest time/fewest penalties wins.

Horse and Hound: ride a horse over the jump course,then pass the baton to person 2 who leads a dog over same course

Bareback jumping class - no saddle!

Chase me Charlie - one jump, whole class jumps it in turn, and each round jump gets higher (or narrower if you prefer) - any refusals or poles down and you're out.

Simon says - commands are called out to the whole class, with "simon says" in front, like "simon says canter left lead" and those who can't follow the commands or follow commands without "Simon says" in front, are out.

Pairs class: both horse and rider to look as identical as possible

Best turned out: The class where clean and neat beats conformation and performance

Family pony: members of same family all ride same horse demonstrating how kind and well trained it is

Comment

We are way to competitive to have any real fun classes here. We do, however, have one jump and drive. I did it this summer with my friend riding my daughter pony. She had a bad season so wanted a good fun experience. Yup, pony rocked but friend forgot the change over and I was so scared I would stall out as I haven’t driven a stick in ages that we were by far the slowest round of the class🤣🤣

Comment

Duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post
                                        Not a “fun show” class, but when I was growing up, the Arabian shows used to always have ride & drive, .
                                        Welsh shows also. I loved that class when I could borrow a driving horse!
                                        Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                        X