Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Real Estate Spotlight

97 Spring Lane (1)

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual "Gee Whiz" video tour of Ohio QH Congress barn aisle custom build-out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Yeah, I do not blame exhibitors for keeping the horse stall area quiet and free of spectator traffic. These horses have to school in the show pens in the middle of the night, then some have to go through preliminary cuts, semi-finals, and finals in the their rail classes, and many do multiple types of classes. It is a grind. Plus, Congress is the Super Bowl for thieves. Very expensive tack in these tack rooms.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Comment

Goodness. How do they arrange the plumbing? You'd need one rig for the horses and four for the equipment and setup.

I do appreciate the dog corral. The number of times I've chased down the Corgi who jumped over or dug under the playpen set up in a stall...

Remind me never to complain about hanging drapes again.
      "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Comment

My first reaction to this was honestly horror — I cannot imagine what this would cost to put together at WEF

Comment

I'm pretty disappointed that there was only one TV and it was pretty small.

And can you imagine forgetting something, and trying to send someone back to get it? Oh, I need my ______ , it's in the maroon _______ .

Just standing up for us rainbow colored cooler lugging lawn chair sitting peons.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscotti View Post
            My first reaction to this was honestly horror — I cannot imagine what this would cost to put together at WEF
            I'm not understanding what WEF has to do with Congress? What am I missing?

Comment

I'm totally ignorant so this is an honest question: do the horses get any kind of turn out/hand grazing or is their exercise limited the rings in which they compete?
              "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

• Original Poster

No turnout, every square foot on the grounds is pricey. There are some grass areas, but since everyone HAS to take their dogs, grass areas are covered in dog poop. Hence why horses need quiet stalls, as they do spend a lot of time in the arenas and do get plenty of exercise. These horses are road warriors, or 3 year olds learning to be a road warrior.

Comment

Or a 2yo showing under saddle!
                  http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Plumcreek View Post
                    No turnout, every square foot on the grounds is pricey. There are some grass areas, but since everyone HAS to take their dogs, grass areas are covered in dog poop. Hence why horses need quiet stalls, as they do spend a lot of time in the arenas and do get plenty of exercise. These horses are road warriors, or 3 year olds learning to be a road warrior.
                    We had friends coming to some big competition here ask to bring horses a slow day to let them have room to roam a bit.
                    We advised them their horses would stress more going to yet another place than just staying there in their little safe spot in the world they could relax in.
                    They brought them anyway and later agreed, horses were tired from their short "vacation" in a new place, compared with those that didn't get to go, so they didn't repeat that.

Horses live by routines and do best the more everything stays the same.
                    Even with continuous changes, don't add even more to those.
                    In those many day shows, they get to exercise and train each discipline at certain hours, like reiners from 2 to 4 am in such and such arena, etc.

Comment

When we go we try to get the horses out 2-3 times a day and ride in the warm up arenas. There’s no point in trying to hand walk as it’s all cement or poop covered grass.

Comment

Just watched a livestream. Saw 2 yo HUS final class. Not the style that would win open HUS (but those arent 2 yo either!) but really performed well. It was nice to see them trotting out and cantering in an open frame. Impressive that when they lined up all the babies just stood on a loose rein. If you are showing horses this young under saddle, it was nice to see such a natural way of going. Also noted some Huge fake tails and really s-l-o-w walks. They announced results from, I think four different judges and then the overall results. They won money!

Also saw part of the 2 yo western pleasure class. I found that a little harder to watch as they were framed and slowed like the older horses and you could see the balance difficulties, But that may be because I am not generally a WP fan and I worry about the amount of training of these babies.

Comment

Originally posted by TMares View Post

I think cost of space, but it’s just a guess. I’m way more WTF than WEF.

Comment

• Original Poster

Re: getting horses out of their stalls....I just remembered that some entrepreneurial types with super broke geldings offer ponying services by the half hour or so at Congress. Great service for all the young halter and longe line horses. Yes, there are Longe Line money stakes classes for both western and HUS yearlings - open and non-pro.

Comment

Originally posted by sunkistbey View Post
                              When we go we try to get the horses out 2-3 times a day and ride in the warm up arenas. There’s no point in trying to hand walk as it’s all cement or poop covered grass.
                              I saw a lot of people with Soft Rides on the front for I assume the concrete.
                              http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

There are 2 covered hot walkers there as well. You can call or text them and they will schedule you a time so at least they can move around a bit. The footing was nice in there too.

Even though the stalls were done up so nicely and curtains were up on a lot of the aisles, we still walked down them as you really had no choice! We kept getting "stuck" and at a dead end. So some of the staff there said you can walk down any aisle you like. It was kinda weird but no one said anything....

Comment

Also remember, not all horses are there the entire time. Some are and some will leave when their classes are over. A big WP barn here in GA has trailers moving the whole 3 weeks/month of Congress. They ferry horses back and forth depending on what they are entered in.

Comment

Who would have guessed that my query about turnout would produce so many interesting responses. Thank you everyone. Though now I'm slightly worried about dog health and poop covered grass!
                                    "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

Originally posted by TMares View Post

That this setup would cost astronomically more at WEF or any major HJ show.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Biscotti View Post

That this setup would cost astronomically more at WEF or any major HJ show.
                                        Not to push my interests too much, but the above is exactly why many people (like me) own Quarter Horse Hunters, and due to AQHA's approving the English Special Events, where the Working Hunter Under Saddle and all over fence classes can be held at a nice H-J venue, alone or combined with an open H-J show, it is going to get better. The quality of horse is there, we just needed more appropriate facilities and H-J discipline specific judges . We now have those,(Currently 14 of 24 AQHA Specialized OF judges also have USEF R cards) so check out the AQHA English Special Events FB page.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
                                          Also remember, not all horses are there the entire time. Some are and some will leave when their classes are over. A big WP barn here in GA has trailers moving the whole 3 weeks/month of Congress. They ferry horses back and forth depending on what they are entered in.
                                          Yes, the Hunters were in and out in 5 days.

Comment

Working...
                                          X