Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Spratt_air 1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

What does your horse live with?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your horse live with?

Fun thread here!

My fancy warmblood dressage horse happens to be living with 4 pigs at the moment (he has also lived with goats) and he loves them. They share a huge, partially wooded, pasture, the pigs have a stall and concrete pad that my boy doesn't have access too (he hates the concrete anyway) and he has his own stall that the pigs also enjoy hanging out in. It's the cutest thing, the pigs sleep in his stall while I have him up at the main barn to ride and they get all excited when I bring him back.

This all started because he loves 24/7 turnout but can't be out with other horses as he is too dominant. So he got to live with the goats with their shed and pasture. And then the pig pasture needed mowing but the pigs were too small to take a mower in the field so I just moved him over there. It's the cutest thing.

What sort of weird creatures have your horses lived with?
    "I'm too sexy for my blanket, too sexy for my blanket, these mares-they should take it..." (J-Lu) - Featuring The Skypizzle Pony aka Classic Skyline

Hawks Nest We need a picture as proof! That sounds like the cutest thing ever!

But to answer the question, mine just have a boring mini for company.

Comment

Mine also has a pig! The pig has been with me for YEARS and spent most of her life at the racetrack and accompanying layups in their rehab so she has learned to buddy up with anyone who is unhappy in the stall. This horse came off the track with a WICKED weaving habit and good old Spoink jumped right into action. They are the best of friends now. The pig chooses to sleep in her hay inside her stall and they both love it. The pig has "piggy holes" in the 4 board fence so she can come/go into the pasture as she pleases, but has full run of the farm 24/7. Shes older now with arthritis and poor eyesight so she wont wander too far from the barn, but she LOVES when the big filly comes in to sleep with!

We also raise ducks who free range during the day and sleep inside the Alcatraz of duck stalls at night inside the barn. They have taken to laying eggs in one of my feed bins lately I am not so sure they are well loved by anything/one but me, but they all tolerate the quacking.
      "True love is taking away their pain, and making it your own. "

Comment

Chickens.
        My hens visit the barn - some 250' from the coop.
        They now expect a handout of oats & BOSS when I feed the horses.
        They also patrol the barn & stalls for bugs, mice & to pick apart manure.
        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by DoubleDown View Post
          Hawks Nest We need a picture as proof! That sounds like the cutest thing ever!

But to answer the question, mine just have a boring mini for company.
          OMG I have SOOOOO many! Most are on my phone though so a touch hard to share.

From early on: https://www.facebook.com/alice.vanbo...0227191856843/
          Somewhat more recent: https://www.facebook.com/alice.vanbo...20457544055504
          "I'm too sexy for my blanket, too sexy for my blanket, these mares-they should take it..." (J-Lu) - Featuring The Skypizzle Pony aka Classic Skyline

Comment

Hawks Nest that is the best! Made my day!!

Comment

I LOVE the pigs stories! My gelding would take about 5 years to accept pigs since he's heart stoppingly petrified of pigs.
              But mine loved the chickens before some hungry varmint came and took them.
              "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

My yearling lives adjacent to goats (no problem) and a pig (BIG problem). It's been about a year and we're still not over the pig. She grows approximately a foot every time she catches sight of her and puffs up, ready to pull a runner. The fact other people's horses have gotten over it gives me hope. I figure we have another two years still.

Comment

• Original Poster

Okay, I dug up the video of Pizz first meeting the pigs.

https://youtu.be/ZPaKE7QVgqQ

Enjoy
                  These days the pigs can (and do o.O) run between his legs, rub on his legs, eat his tail, snuffle is face, and share his food. But the first day he was utterly horrified at these moving squealing beasts.

Comment

A second horse, a hinny mule, 2 mini donks, and a llama...just a strange, happy little herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Edre View Post
                      My yearling lives adjacent to goats (no problem) and a pig (BIG problem). It's been about a year and we're still not over the pig. She grows approximately a foot every time she catches sight of her and puffs up, ready to pull a runner. The fact other people's horses have gotten over it gives me hope. I figure we have another two years still.
                      Funny! That big horse was gonna tromple that fat little oinker. Oinker must have been poisonous, right? My gelding would have been in the next state before he stopped. And no fence would be high enough to keep him in. LOL.

As a youngster he was put next to a herd of momma cows with about 50 baby calves, all brown and white. It took about
                      6 months for him to be OK UNTIL a new calf was born- BLACK and WHITE. So we started all over again. Who said horses don't see color?
                      "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

My horse lives with his two best buds and a flock of sheep! Used to be absolutely terrified of sheep, now he loves to follow them around and nuzzle the brave lambs!

Comment

I had three horses that I acquired at the same time, from the same location. They were a typical small herd, hung out together, one usually stood guard while the other two napped. Two were quite a bit older than the other, and since I'd gotten them when the two were already fairly old, they eventually died and left the one, younger pony by himself. At first, he was very happy, because the second to last horse to go had to be put down due to behavior associated with aging. She acted senile and had become dangerous. He was tired of her even before that, because she was always a very strong alpha. He seemed very happy on his own for quite a few months. But eventually, he started getting lonely. First, he adopted the alpacas next door as his herd. Everybody hung out at the fence line. He couldn't always get to that fence line, so he started improvising--he adopted a herd of mule deer. They hung out in the shed with him, shared his food, cuddled up close when it was cold.

When I realized how much he wanted a herd, I started boarding him so he could be around other horses. He seemed to appreciate it.

Rebecca

Comment

He used to live with goats, but now it's just the cats (who ignore him) and the chickens, who wander in and out and are afraid of him.
                            Author Page
                            Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                            Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Not mine, but I know a lady who has horses sharing a field with rheas and emus!

Comment

My neighbor has a few potbelly pigs, and he likes to think he's a pig. He would rather hang out with the pigs than my horses along the shared fenceline . He also licks my horses. Like, incessant, long tongue out licking. He's quite the character. He's a beautiful Appy. I think that he has hung with the pigs so long before I brought my horses home in July that he identifies as a pig now.

Comment

Originally posted by danceronice View Post
                                  He used to live with goats, but now it's just the cats (who ignore him) and the chickens, who wander in and out and are afraid of him.
                                  Your chickens are...well, chicken.
                                  My hens are totally not afraid of the horses.
                                  Nobody has told them 5# of feathers is not the same as 1000# of horse.

In fact, when I dared to get 3 new young chicks, the old gals were so put out they decided the nestboxes in their coop were now contaminated & began laying in the barn.
                                  First nest I found was in the mini's stall.
                                  Smart gals - he rarely uses it or eats the hay I put in there (preferring to mooch from the big horse).

They routinely wander in & out of stalls, whether or not a horse is in residence.
                                  I've even seen a hen attempting to eat oats from the same pan a horse is using.
                                  *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                  Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                  Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                  Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Free-range goats! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bgHwMa6yV7Xgi85m7

And two more pictures that shows the considerable degree of "interspecies cohabitation" going on at our farm. The 2nd pic is Ditto the cat keeping some chicken eggs warm. Or maybe she's just getting first in line for breakfast? And Goose the cat keeping my old departed Kip warm (or vice versa)

Comment

My boy lived with two alpacas for a couple of years. The first day they moved in beside him I was actually afraid he might jump out of his paddock to get away from them; I've never heard snorting like that to this day. They shared a fence line for about a year, and then started going into the field together, and eventually I just left the gate between their paddocks open and they happily had the run of it for a year.

He's not great with other horses (16.3, no boundaries, wants constant amusement, hind shoes, and a nervous mother - me) but the alpacas, despite being only a couple hundred pounds, he somehow respected a lot more. It probably didn't hurt that they all had the same eye level and the mom alpaca had really good aim when she spat. He was and has continued to be an absolute chicken, so unfortunately that experience didn't teach him any sort of confidence, but it was fun to watch. When they went to a friend's farm a couple years later I don't think anyone but me really missed them.

Comment

When I moved my TB up north.. he was in a large stall/run combo with a pig!

I just posted the photo on my Instagram. Can’t figure out how to upload on COTH 🙃

I would love another pig but my other horse goes after anything smaller than him. Vinny is terrified of all over livestock. We do have cows surrounding the property on both sides.
                                        https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

Comment

Working...
                                        X