Stallion Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

Walter Moore rear view
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Safety Vests?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Vests?

I need insight on whether I should wear a safety vest every time I ride, and what kind of vest would be the best choice.

I am 53. I rode from the age of 10 until I was 26. From 26 to 49 I did not ride at all. I started riding again 4 years ago at age 49. First I leased a horse, and I bought my own horse in Feb of 2018. Admittedly,I spend more hours loving, caring for and hanging out with my horse than I do riding him! I have a very sweet 2014 Gypsy Vanner Gelding who is 15.1h, and has a good brain, but of course he is still young. Luckily, he is not the type of horse that needs to be ridden every day...he is almost always the same even- tempered horse and never bucks, rears or bolts. I am not interested in competing at this point in my life. I always wear a helmet with chin strap. We take lessons twice a week...one day I ride, the other day my trainer rides him. We also go on trail rides with one or more other horses. He is not what I would call a spooky horse, but he has spooked in place before, and a couple of times he has taken about 3 steps to the side when frightened on a trail. I only "jump" him over poles, very small crossrails and over an occasional log out on the trails, almost always at a trot.

I have been hearing about quite a few horse related injuries and deaths lately, and it scares me. I know, just being around horses is very risky, I get that. For some reason, when I was younger, I didn't worry at all about getting hurt, and I did a lot more challenging riding and I competed as well. But now, the ground seems harder, and I have a small element of fear in the back of my mind, that keeps cropping up even more lately, every time I hear about a rider being injured, or worse. This fear does not inhibit my riding or prevent me from enjoying my horse to the fullest, but I do acknowledge that it exists. So, given the "wimpy" riding I do now, should I wear a safety vest every time I ride, regardless of where I ride, or are these vests only really needed/beneficial for riders jumping cross country or jumping courses of "real" fences (like I did when I was younger)? If I should wear one, what type is best for the pleasure riding I described? Will any vests protect from neck injuries? I appreciate any help or insight

I wear a vest pretty much every time I ride - be it cross country schooling a green spicy horse or trail riding on my good ol mr reliable - you can't predict an accident. I find they really do help when I hit the dirt. Try a few brands on and see what one you find comfortable for your body type (I prefer a tipperary, hate the beta ones, friends are the opposite).

Comment

No harm in westing a vest!

Comment

Agree, doesn't hurt to always wear one. I have an Ovation Comfortflex, it is SEI/ASTM certified and under $200.

Comment

I htink it's a great idea to wear one. Im similar age and have one and will likely start wearing it now that its cooler.

Comment

I am 68, I have osteoporosis, I have MS, and I have horrible balance and coordination. I've also ridden seriously for 49 years--as in I am nowhere near beginner status.

I did not get myself a safety vest until my riding teacher asked me to start working with a 6YO OTTB gelding, one with a good mind. I had seen this horse in passing and he is 15.3 hands versus the 14+ horses I usually ride. After she asked I took a GOOD look at Coach (the OTTB) and the first thought that went through my mind is that THIS was the horse I'd probably fall off of, in spite of over a decade of riding with no falls.

I went to my "local" good tack store and talked with the owner. My specifications were a certified vest, as light a possible, and as cool as possible. She guided me to the Tipperary Eventer Pro. Unfortunately this vest is too hot for me to use in the hot, humid Southern summers, but I put it on every time I ride once it is cool enough (when it is hot I have to use an ice vest--not much protection at all!)

I did fall off of Coach, AT A WALK, a horse outside the ring came charging down the outside of the ring fence, and Coach, obviously irritated that I would not let him run, gave a little hop, twisting his spine, and off I went--thud.

I had two cracked ribs even though I fell on rather deep sand. I do not know if my injuries would have been worse without the vest. When I finally got to the doctor and told him I had been wearing a protective vest his reaction was "GOOD" and he had nothing bad to say about wearing one.

Even though I ended up with cracked ribs from my fall, every time it is cool enough I wear my protective vest. My main reason is that I want some protection if I should ever fall off the horse and hit the wooden fence around the ring on my way down. If I was still trail riding I would definitely wear it out on the trail, same for riding in a field.

When it is cool enough I also put two of my ThinLine shims over my ribs, I do not know if that would do any good but some extra cushioning might help me if and when I fall again.

I had also gotten myself the Trauma Void EQ3 helmet with the MIPS system to ride on this horse. The helmet worked wonderfully, in spite of having a wonky neck my head and neck had no problems after I fell. I heartily recommend a MIPS helmet, my head and neck never felt better after a fall off the horse as in I had no problems at all except having to replace my helmet.

As a positive note about wearing the protective vest is that when I wear it my riding teacher does not get after me for my usually slouching back, so in that way it does help me ride better.

Comment

There is an active thread discussing this issue on hunter/jumper and several we've also commented on over the years. A search might give you lots of advice to read!

I wear one every ride since a very bad fall resulting in ribs, scapula and shoulder fractures. My surgeon recommended I wear one and I find them easy to get used to. Yes, they are hot and tight. They feel 'funny' until you become used to wearing it. On the upside, they work very well as a "sports bra" by holding the girls in!

I have had a Rodney Powell (heavy and hot) and Airowear Outlyne and Hickstead vests. I love the Outlyne as it's designed for women. Do go try on several styles if possible. Measure carefully when you buy one. Buying from Europe is not a bad thing (Amira Equi is a great company!).
              Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

I fell off horses countless time when I was young and never broke a bone. When I was in my 50's, I had a very mild fall - we were trotting along when horse teleported out from under me. I went off the side (may have bounced off the ring railing, I'm not entirely sure) and broke 5 ribs, thus providing additional support for the old maxim that after a certain age, you don't bounce, you break.

Before I started riding again, I bought a vest. Mine is an Aerowear Outlyne. I really like the vest and don't hesitate to recommend it, however, I'll note that I bought that vest because I am short and fat and that was the only one available at that time that came in my size.

I've had one fall while wearing the vest. Everything under my vest was fine, not even a bruise.

I will note that the Tipperary Ride Lite vest is often advertised as a non-certified, lighter alternative for recreational riders. I tried one of those a couple of years after I bought my Outlyne, but in my opinion, it's really of more use to protect against road rash and minor bumps and bruises and not a viable alternative to a true protective vest. (That's not a criticism, because the vest isn't intended to be that, but still thought it was worth mentioning because of the marketing of that vest.)
                "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post

I wear one every ride since a very bad fall resulting in ribs, scapula and shoulder fractures. My surgeon recommended I wear one and I find them easy to get used to. Yes, they are hot and tight. They feel 'funny' until you become used to wearing it. On the upside, they work very well as a "sports bra" by holding the girls in!

I have had a Rodney Powell (heavy and hot) and Airowear Outlyne and Hickstead vests. I love the Outlyne as it's designed for women. Do go try on several styles if possible. Measure carefully when you buy one. Buying from Europe is not a bad thing (Amira Equi is a great company!).
                  LOL,same sort of story here, had a very bad fall, had 10 distinct breaks to ribs, punctured lung, and a few other injuries. Family wanted me to ride in a vest, I resisted, but coach said I should try it, maybe I would be less tense when riding. Agreed to ride init once, discovered it was the best bra ever, hello sitting trot. I never ride without mine now, have had two falls since, with no major issues.

Being as I am a plus size girl I chose the Airowear Outlyne, as being good for the fuller figure, and i’m happy with it. I must admit when our brief summer arrives it’s kind of hot, and I longingly think of an air vest, but then I remember that my big accident was while mounting, so it would not of helped!

"He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

I am 68 and have been riding most of my life but I am VERY safety conscious these days. I always wear a helmet, just got a new Trauma Void lynx on helmet awareness weekend and last year purchased a HitAir vest that I also wear always. I ride western so not the norm for riders I know, but I truly don't care! I feel like I am doing what I can and my kids are happy that I am taking care of myself since I mostly ride alone. I plan to ride for many more years and will do what i can to further that goal.

Comment

I'm 67 and wear my vest every single ride.
                      So does my 13 yr old Granddaughter and many of her pony club friends.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your understanding, for sharing your own experienced, and for all of your help!

Comment

Yes, I'm 63 and starting wearing a vest every time I ride after my last fall a couple of years ago. My horse had been out of work for 5 weeks because of a puncture wound, and I so wasn't doing anything particularly edgy or daring. I asked the horse to trot, and then asked her to really move into the trot.

Yeah, well, she clipped one of her front hooves (actually the boot she was wearing) with a hind hoof and stumbled. I stayed on, but then as she tried to regain her footing, she clipped the boot on the other front hoof and down she went onto her knees. I half fell half bailed off, because I didn't want to get accidentally rolled onto. She stood up, looked at me as if she was thinking "what's with you?" and stood completely still (good horse!).

Nothing was broken, but I had bruised my ribs pretty well, and geez that hurt.

So the next day I ordered a vet (aeroware Outlyne, from Amira Equi), and a new helmet, and I've worn the vest ever since. (My horse no longer wears hoof boots though!).
                          "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

I don't think there's ever a situation that you should feel like you shouldn't wear a vest or feel that people might think it's silly/overprotective. I personally don't wear a vest on my own horses or when doing "normal" riding, but I'm an exercise rider so a) it's mandatory that I wear one and b) hitting the ground is simply a part of the job (well...I went about a month before hitting the ground 3 times between monday and tuesday last week). I also wear it when first restarting any OTTBs until I get to know them.

I do realize that at 27 I'm fortunately still in the "bounce back" phase BUT, I have hit the ground hard more times than I can count, been thrown into barn walls, had a horse fall on top of me and wriggle around to get back up and not broken anything that I'm aware of. I would honestly say that the protective vest was a big part of that, and would definitely recommend to anyone who is looking for additional protection, whether trail riding or just trotting around the arena.

I have the Tipperary Eventer Vest and don't find it to be overly hot in the summer...I wear it for 4-6 hours 6 days a week.

Comment

Back in the day when I galloped racehorses at the track, vests hadn't been invented yet -- but once they were and became mandatory I got very used to wearing one -- stayed second nature from then on. A vest might feel uncomfortable to those who aren't used to wearing one, but they are a good safety measure none the less. I still wear one always - and not just because I'm in my 60's and only trail ride.

Comment

Originally posted by mestle View Post
                                I am 68 and have been riding most of my life but I am VERY safety conscious these days. I always wear a helmet, just got a new Trauma Void lynx on helmet awareness weekend and last year purchased a HitAir vest that I also wear always. I ride western so not the norm for riders I know, but I truly don't care! I feel like I am doing what I can and my kids are happy that I am taking care of myself since I mostly ride alone. I plan to ride for many more years and will do what i can to further that goal.
                                I also have the Lynx Trauma Void helmet, and the Hit-Air vest.... Perfect combo...... (thumbs up)

They are pricey, but, worth it. Ive been bucked off my Mustang (in training) 3 times now, and every time it felt like falling back onto a couch... Love the Hit-Air vest. Its also not restrictive at all, unless it inflates.. then you feel like a big marshmallow. LOL

I rode like a wild-child as a kid, but, as I get older my bones just arent what they used to be. Thats a fact of life. Also, I now have a couple of steel rods in my spine that I worry about.

Comment

I bought the Hit Air vest a couple of years ago. I no longer bounce. It has gone off twice now--once when my last horse bucked me off (hence why he's no longer my horse) and once when I forgot to unclick from the saddle.

My falls seem to always be landing on my lower back with my head flung back hard onto the ground. With the air vest, the gussets came out to protect my back, and my helmet never touched the ground due to the inflatable around my neck. I hit my hand coming off the saddle, buy only a bruise.

I figured the Hit Air vest was cheaper than the ER PLUS the deductible on my insurance PLUS not being able to ride due to injury.

I don't think my new horse would ever do anything, but now I feel weird not wearing it. It's sort of like getting on without a helmet or getting into a car without putting on a seat belt.

I'm in a very hot humid climate & I don't even notice it anymore.

Comment

All it really takes is a good, hard fall, and getting on in life to make a person realize how scary riding can be. I'm 49 and I've been riding for 15 years. I started off saddleseat and western so no helmet. None of my friends that got me into horses wore them so why would I?! Fast forward 15 years, a few various horses, and several falls, and you can now find me sporting my Trauma Void helmet, and my safety vest when I trail ride. I wear my helmet all the time, but I do not use my vest for every ride. I am a wimpy rider too and most of my riding is in an indoor or outdoor arena and my horse is very sane. I didn't have my vest on for every fall off my youngster (who is for sale), and I wish I would have. I have some nagging low back issues from landing hard. Hindsight is always 20-20 when we are lucky enough to still be around to have it.
                                    Do whatever you feel comfortably with and don't ever feel you need to justify to yourself, us or your friends and barn mates!

Comment

My 60 yo, nowhere-near-beginner sister got the Air-vest after falling off her young horse and breaking a few transverse processes in her spine - scared her enough to invest in one AND a helmet.

At my barn everyone jump schools in a vest, even the kids. I think it makes a lot of sense. I just wish vests were more comfortable.
                                      Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

Working...
                                      X