Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Hart_Barn 1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adult on pony?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult on pony?

Hi everyone, new member here with a question: I have been offered (free!) the 14 h (Morgan?) pictured. He’s 13 and a total sweetheart. I’m 5’6”. I would use him for trail riding and hunting in 2nd field (no jumping). I’m an experienced, balanced rider, but I’m worried that I look too big for him. Thoughts?

You look fine! Ponies are the best! I actually just rode my 12 hand pony an hour ago. I do look too big on him, but he's still fun from time to time. My usual horse is 14.3 and I also have one that's 13.2.

Comment

It might be the smallish picture, but it looks to me that you are sitting too far back in the saddle because of how short your stirrups are. If you lengthen your stirrups and sit a bit closer to the center of the saddle, you might look a bit tall on him, but the pony looks like a good, sturdy type and should have no problems carrying you.

My main horse is 16.3hh, but I occasionally ride a 14hh pony mare (part Welsh) and she doesn't even seem to notice the difference between me and the kids who ride her. I'm 5.3''.

Comment

Go for it, looks like a saintly horse!! I hunt a 14.1 TB cross and I'm 5'4".

Comment

I hunt my nearly 14.2 pony and I'm 5'7". I might look too big, but he has no problem carrying me for a day in 2nd flight. He is sooooo much fun, much more handy and sure footed than my previous big guys. I will say that I work a lot harder on my own fitness and core strength to stay as balanced and quiet as possible for him. Go for it- ponies are the best!

Comment

I just bought a medium pony, I'm 5'4'' in my boots. You'll be fine! I love ponies and have decided to embrace it.
            COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

You look like an adult riding a pony, and yes you are in a bit of a chair seat. But you don't look ridiculously big on him, and lots of big men ride QH this size.

Comment

I all own and ride is ponies (13.2 - 14.2h)! You look great on him. No worries, enjoy!

Comment

AFAIK, no one here has ever been discouraged from getting themselves a pony! You certainly won't be the first!
                  "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." —Bradley Trevor Greive

Comment

You're not too big. As others noted, it looks like your stirrups are a titch too short and that your leg needs to lengthen. For what it's worth, I'm 5'7 and ride two 14 handers. I've got a long torso and short-ish legs, so I look a little funny, but I've decided that I don't care! (And the horses sure don't mind.)

Comment

Yes, whenever I hear folks asking about size and if they fit the smaller horses, I refer back to the large men riding reiners and cutting horses. Tack on the heavier western saddle, as well. You look great, and I love your horse. Very cute. You look just fine to me.

Comment

I think you look totally fine. I'm 5'4" and I had a 13.1 Welsh Pony that I rode (and jumped) for several years. You're not too big for him at all.
                        www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

officially there are not any Morgan ponies , all Morgans are horses, at least that is what the American Morgan Horse Association says

Comment

Originally posted by clanter View Post
                            officially there are not any Morgan ponies , all Morgans are horses, at least that is what the American Morgan Horse Association says
                            I once made the same argument about AQHA-registered quarter horses and got no traction. I hope you have better luck.

And OP, no, you're not too big to ride that lovely little horse. But I do agree with the suggestion that you drop your stirrups a couple of holes.
                            "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                            that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

I'm 5'7". I have a 14h pony. Truthfully I don't know if I look too big on him, because I've never seen a picture of us but you look fine and are definitely not "too big", weight wise.

Comment

Originally posted by clanter View Post
                                The world of Haflingers say the same thing, but I still call mine a pony because she is under 14.2h.

Comment

same with the fjords, however he's still 14'1 and I'm still 5'8 and we get along just fine
                                  Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

If that is you pictured on him you are just fine. Have fun

Comment

Lot of enablers here - add me to that list! I’m 5’5 and have a 14hh pony. A long neck, good back & substance can make for a comfortable/balanced ride. Some bigger horses that are short backed, compact & refined can look more disproportionate with adult riders than a pony would under that same rider

Comment

I'm 5'7" and have a 14hh Mustang mare. And I have LONG legs. You probably shortened the stirrups because of feeling self conscious on the size fit? I know I did that at first. But I lengthened my stirrups to the proper length and I have never gotten any comments when we are out on the trail or riding with others. What a cutie!

Comment

Working...
                                        X