Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Hart_Barn 1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Pasture board re BO's responsibilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasture board re BO's responsibilities

Does a BO have any responsibilities for horses living outside ? Should they check for minor injuries, notice signs of colic or sudden lameness? Obviously they are responsible for water and forage but what happens if the horses' owners do not come to check on a regular basis?.

Depends on what your boarding contract says. I wouldn't board, even field board, at a place where my horse wasn't given the once over at least once a day, but not every field board place is like that

Comment

As gottagrey said, it totally depends on the farm/barn/contact.

One would think that yes, horses would be checked at least once a day, and attended to if the need arises. But that is not necessarily the hard/fast rule.
      ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Yes, I would think in most cases, the BO should give the field horses a once over on a regular basis.

Comment

What I would expect from field board, unless the contract stipulates something different:
          When the field horses are fed, everyone gets a quick eyeball. Person feeding should notice 3+ lameness, missing shoe, off feed, significant change in demeanor, eye injury, wound large enough to require treatment.

I don't expect the person feeding to groom my horse, notice a subtle lameness, catch all minor scrapes, check legs for funk, etc. Shame on me if I miss that stuff. And if I'm not able to see my horse often enough for that to be okay, then I either need to seek a more hands-on boarding situation or arrange for someone else to check on my horse periodically.

Comment

I pasture board at my in-laws. They fill up water and send me a message if my one horse gets out *eye roll*

The most they do is pet them on the nose if they are at the fence.

My one horse got a giant gash and I got a message about that.. missing shoe not so much.
            https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

Comment

As others have said, "it depends". Be sure you have discussed your expectations of care with your BO and write it out so everyone is on the same page. Do not make assumptions!
              I am in a pasture board situation and pay an extra monthly fee to have my horse grained, flymask off and on, blankets checked and changed as necessary. It is spelled out in my boarding contract. Other boarders pay per service as requested. BO will call when something is wrong but I am at the barn 4-5 days per week anyway.

Comment

I would expect my horse to get checked at least once a day for anything obvious. As others have said, I wouldn't expect them to notice some scratches or pick hooves daily or do anything more than at least look to see that all limbs are attached, nothing is bleeding copiously, and they're galloping around like sound idiots rather than lame idiots. But I would expect a call if any of those things were the case.
                "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

I pasture board (I think the occasional chomp mark is fair trade for the mental benefits of doing horse things); staff/BO contact me if Pony looks not quite right/isn't eating/ripped off a blanket and will pull an injured/possible colic out of the field and start supportive care. The other boarders are also very proactive about looking out for the horses, the owners and manager live on-site, and overall I feel there are a lot of eyes on the horses. (This is good, because my ponies are confirmed Blanket Maulers)

Comment

I'm the (unpaid) person who does the arvo feeds at my agistment. I'll make sure all four legs are still attached, both eyes still in place and inside stuff is still on the inside. If Ponyguts doesn't show up for dinner I'll go looking. Beyond that, anything else that might be noticed is a bonus. I'm happy to deal with an emergency, spray some wound spray on cut or fix a rug if needed but I often don't have time to do much more than look each horse over (and keep an eye on movement as they hoon up) with any regularity. Sounds like some of the owners haven't been out in months anyway.

Comment

Depends on the barn and your agreement w/ owner.

When I field boarded, nothing was included. It was totally self-care. I went twice per day and fed and checked everything.

But it was close to my home, a beautiful farm with great pastures and cheap price. Owner wanted nothing to do with anything. When horses torn down a fence or knocked down boards, I had my son do all repairs.

So set up the agreement up front and hopefully barn owner will put it in writing.
                      "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

Originally posted by Russinka View Post
                        I'm the (unpaid) person who does the arvo feeds at my agistment.
                        I suspect I am not the only North American unfamiliar with the terms "arvo feeds" and "agistment".

Could you please explain.

When I Google it, I get "a tithe for grazing cattle" for "agistment", and nothing remotely relevant fort "arvo feeds"
                        Last edited by Janet; Oct. 7, 2019, 12:01 PM.
                        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2019.

Comment

The contract lays out the legal requirements for "pasture board." But there are also "practical requirements." The BO has a duty to check and maintain the fences even if the contract doesn't specifically say so. I don't know of BO that would ignore signs of a seriously injured horse even the contract did not impose a burden of notice. What they might DO about what they see WILL be governed by the contract. If there is no duty to render any aid to a sick or injured horse before calling the owner then that call will be made and actions taken IAW the decisions made during the call. A Hard Truth about pasture board is that it is very often the province of the those least able to pay for the upkeep of horse. While most BOs want to be humane they are not publicly funded charities and have limits to their ability to pay for things when they KNOW they won't get reimbursed.

Put another way, while they won't engage in intentional neglect or cruelty, they won't necessarily pay somebody else's vet bill, either.

G.
                          Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

Comment

I would expect a daily once-over and notice of anything amiss. Basic good horsemanship requires this.

If you are totally self-care on pasture, you're not 'boarding'; you are renting the use of the field.
                            No matter where you go, there you are

Comment

I was on pasture board and that care included: checking for obvious major injuries, colic signs, lameness signs (not "off" but actual lameness), off feed or very obvious not acting normal signs. Subtle things were not noticed but in turn I went out multiple time per week. Towards the end of my boy's cancer treatment/monitoring I went out daily to care for him and feed the others. While there I checked everyone, not thoroughly but gave them a once over and noticed missing shoes, sand spurs, major fly bites, minor stiffness or just not acting ok.

As everyone else has stated "it depends". When I first arrived at the barn I boarded with the owner was far more observant, as he has aged and had health issues he has become less observant, hence me feeding more. They are all moving to a new barn with a younger owner that is very observant and really takes a lot of time to get to know the horses. She provides more observation with pasture board and also provides blanketing and masking if these are provided. Both owners live on site.
                              Lovebug "Bugs" 2006-2019

Comment

I've never done self care, but I've done "pasture" or "outdoor" board at two different places. The outside horses are provided with hay and automatic waterers, nothing else. I'm at the barn 5 days/wk anyway so horsey gets grain and blanket changes when I'm there.
                                There are enough staff and boarders around that I would hope someone would notice if he was bleeding profusely or colicking. Anything that isn't life threatening can wait until I'm there. If I'm going on vacation I let the BO and BM know.

The way I see it, by allowing my horse to live like a horse I'm reducing the risk of colic. By making sure that the fencing and run-in sheds are safe I've done the best I can to prevent injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Tap View Post
                                  Does a BO have any responsibilities for horses living outside ? Should they check for minor injuries, notice signs of colic or sudden lameness? Obviously they are responsible for water and forage but what happens if the horses' owners do not come to check on a regular basis?.
                                  Like other posters stated, it depends on your boarding contract. There is no "norm" or specific requirements unless they are outlined in your contract.

Depending on your barn, the BO may or may not be the person who is checking on the pasture boarders. It could be an employee, a working student, etc. and their abilities to detect something that has gone awry might vary.

Best advice is to research the facility and the BO/BM. Visit, more than once. Visit during mud season if possible. You'll learn a lot about the facility.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Tap View Post
                                    Is this in regard to an actual problem?

in general I would say the person taking money to board a horse has a duty to see that the horse is generally healthy. That said this will depend on the competency of the barn manager to notice things, the size of the property, and the amount of spare time they have on their hands.

If the horses are sustaining on grass with no supplementary feed on a big field I would not count on any BM going out to check daily.

The second part of the question is what is the BM supposed to do? Notify owner? Call vet on owners dime? That also needs to be in the contract.

I put my horse on pasture vacation where there's a view from the back deck by nonhorsey people and I check her once a week usually. I don't do much to doctor bite marks on the field.

IME colic is rarely an issue with horses on pasture.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post

I suspect I am not the only North American unfamiliar with the terms "arvo feeds" and "agistment".

Could you please explain.

When I Google it, I get "a tithe for grazing cattle" for "agistment", and nothing remotely relevant fort "arvo feeds"
                                      I suspect translation problems. Reading for context works
                                      Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

In my experience if you are paying for full board ( pasture only, stall or combination there-of) the people feeding, mucking or turning out should at least know enough to spot if something is not right and let the BO know immediately.

I know my BO was hands on and spotted everything, but not all barns are so fortunate. I was particularly thankful for it even though I was out every day to ride or get my horses out.

If you are in the business of providing 100% of the daily care and feeding, I think the BO has a responsibility for at least a daily once over by sight. If nothing else to cover their "backside" if something major happens.

Comment

Working...
                                        X