Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

Main-Barn-Bench-to-end2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Very shaken up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very shaken up

first of all this was 100% my fault for letting my guard down. I was out in pasture with the horses tonight and just hanging petting one of them. Another one spooked behind me and before I could react knocked me straight down onto my knees and kept running around me. I had broken my ankle in a fall a year ago so my immediate scare was if I had just broken something but I’m okay. Just shaking now.

Dear OP, I'm glad you are OK!! Previous injuries with horses make us all nervous in tense situations with horses!

I hope this is OK, but I'm going to give you my opinion on things. Horses are horses, and humans are humans. Horses in a pasture setting will tend to treat humans like another horse. Humans might think it's OK to go hang with horses at pasture, but it's not. Anyone who watches a band of horses know they'll bite, kick, charge, etc. another horse to make their social commentary point. That's great for other 1000+lb animals, but not us humans. They don't know we're frail. Putting ourselves in their own social environment makes everything less clear to them.

This horse spooked at something and reacted like you were a horse. He probably didn't even notice you. Sure, he ran around you. His adrenaline was racing from the spook. He's just being a horse.

And you're just being a human knowing that you could have gotten hurt again. Yep, that's what our brains do. Survival.

I suggest treating horses like they are horses and not pets or other humans. Don't go "hang with the herd" because humans will never be an on par member of the herd. We're physically frail in comparison. Give horses the respect of being horses. Change your mind about what you expect from them. And really change your mind so you can be safe around them while respecting that they outweigh you by about 10 fold.

I wish you all the best!
    J.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

Originally posted by J-Lu View Post
      Dear OP, I'm glad you are OK!! Previous injuries with horses make us all nervous in tense situations with horses!

I hope this is OK, but I'm going to give you my opinion on things. Horses are horses, and humans are humans. Horses in a pasture setting will tend to treat humans like another horse. Humans might think it's OK to go hang with horses at pasture, but it's not. Anyone who watches a band of horses know they'll bite, kick, charge, etc. another horse to make their social commentary point. That's great for other 1000+lb animals, but not us humans. They don't know we're frail. Putting ourselves in their own social environment makes everything less clear to them.

This horse spooked at something and reacted like you were a horse. He probably didn't even notice you. Sure, he ran around you. His adrenaline was racing from the spook. He's just being a horse.

And you're just being a human knowing that you could have gotten hurt again. Yep, that's what our brains do. Survival.

I suggest treating horses like they are horses and not pets or other humans. Don't go "hang with the herd" because humans will never be an on par member of the herd. We're physically frail in comparison. Give horses the respect of being horses. Change your mind about what you expect from them. And really change your mind so you can be safe around them while respecting that they outweigh you by about 10 fold.

I wish you all the best!
      J.
      Ditto. ^

OP, you could have been trampled and even killed there!

We can't be careful enough around horses, especially loose horses.

Glad that you are ok.

Comment

I do go into the field with the horses loose but I always carry a long whip and I make sure they will back off and listen to me.

Comment

Glad to hear you are ok! Sometimes getting a somewhat “gentle” reminder from these large flighty animals is a blessing in disguise. You are no worse for wear but now your awareness has been sharpened and you will probably be inclined to approach your herd in a way that keeps you safe.

Even if they are all your your animals it’s not a bad idea to carry a whip. We are in their world out there and so much can go wrong for us puny, slow two-leggers.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Raincityrider View Post
            Glad to hear you are ok! Sometimes getting a somewhat “gentle” reminder from these large flighty animals is a blessing in disguise. You are no worse for wear but now your awareness has been sharpened and you will probably be inclined to approach your herd in a way that keeps you safe.

Even if they are all your your animals it’s not a bad idea to carry a whip. We are in their world out there and so much can go wrong for us puny, slow two-leggers.
            It most certainly was a wake up call. You go months without any incidents or injuries and I quite simply got complacent. Now I know better.

Comment

On early season hunting mornings I need to get the horse out of his field well before daylight. I feel like it's one of the most dangerous things I do with my horses, catching that horse in the dark.

Glad you're ok.

Comment

Countrygirl18, I feel your fear as I experienced it twice with two different horses.

I was in a smallish turnout with a few hay bales in the middle. Went in to catch my mare and ended up getting chased around the stack of bales by another horse who was h*ll bent on catching and stomping me Scared the cr*p out of me. I made a break for the fence and got on the other side before he caught up to me. Talked to the BO and my trainer about my experience. Turns out the gelding was repeat offender who had their board terminated.

Second time I had found a lovely, small facility to board my mare at. Nice indoor with stalls attached. Turnout. Perfect, I thought (not). The BO had a younger mare who was an orphan and had been hand/human raised. One day I went into the turnout (maybe a few acres in size) to catch my mare to ride her. Th BO's mare wouldn't let me get close to my mare at all Even with a lunge whip, couldn't get close to my mare. Ended up going home without riding as getting into an argument over an adult horse is not something I wanted to try. Ended up moving my mare again to a less perfect physical facility but a far more perfect place with respect to horse management.
                Maybe the reason I love animals so much is because the only time they have broken my heart is when they've crossed that rainbow bridge

Comment

Very scary, glad you are okay. Sometimes we all need that reminder. I'm a stickler for safety around horses but I to get complacent about a few things.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
                    Countrygirl18, I feel your fear as I experienced it twice with two different horses.

I was in a smallish turnout with a few hay bales in the middle. Went in to catch my mare and ended up getting chased around the stack of bales by another horse who was h*ll bent on catching and stomping me Scared the cr*p out of me. I made a break for the fence and got on the other side before he caught up to me. Talked to the BO and my trainer about my experience. Turns out the gelding was repeat offender who had their board terminated.

Second time I had found a lovely, small facility to board my mare at. Nice indoor with stalls attached. Turnout. Perfect, I thought (not). The BO had a younger mare who was an orphan and had been hand/human raised. One day I went into the turnout (maybe a few acres in size) to catch my mare to ride her. Th BO's mare wouldn't let me get close to my mare at all Even with a lunge whip, couldn't get close to my mare. Ended up going home without riding as getting into an argument over an adult horse is not something I wanted to try. Ended up moving my mare again to a less perfect physical facility but a far more perfect place with respect to horse management.
                    Scary! Glad you were okay as well and found a better place for you and your mare.

Comment

I used to get about half a dozen ponies out of pasture for lessons. Have you ever water skied on grass? Fun times.

Comment

Honestly, it can happen to anyone, at any time. All it takes is that one second of letting your guard down. I think we've all been there (even if we don't like admitting it!).

One morning, we were expecting an ice storm (imminently expecting) and I was trying to blanket the old mare. I was so focused on getting that leg strap buckled that I didn't realize one of the other horses had come up behind her. I stepped around Sheba at the same moment she kicked at the other horse. I went flying about 15 feet and ended up with a broken knee. My fault, not hers; I should have been more careful.

Another time, I was feeding my ex-instructor's horses and putting them up for the night. Her baby, an 18-hand warmblood with zero people skills, had gotten into the paddock with another horse. I tried to separate them (stupid me; I thought I knew them well enough). Let's just say that had I not spun at the last possible second, I wouldn't be typing this now; I'd be a pancake in that paddock. As it was, he separated my shoulder for me. He also tried to run me over another time when I had to bring in the herd from the pasture. He MEANT to run me over, both times. And that was the last time I ever went near that horse.

Any time, anywhere, any reason. It only takes a second.

Comment

Though I have four quiet geldings in a large field whenever I go out to bring one in to be worked I am always relieved to make it back to the gate. It has happened that the other three would come charging up behind us.

Comment

I hate turning out and bringing horses in! Things can go bad so quickly. I haven't turned horses out together in the same field or paddock for years. Too dangerous for me!

Comment

The most dangerous thing you can do is walk out into a field full of horses. And many of us do it quite often. I do when I have to. My horses are all kind, and they all love me. I am their person. But, they have their own internal herd dynamics and hierarchy, and I am not with them 24/7. They have their likes and dislikes among the herd. Some pick on others, some are friends. To be safest, you need to know the herd dynamics, who is the boss horse, who is subservient to whom. If you are the "prime human" to all the horses, most of them will want to get some time with you, greet you, touch you (because this is "polite" in equine society). They will usually do this "in order" of importance in the herd. It is your job to dominate the most dominant horse in the herd, because this horse will "call the shots", and/or some of his/her officers (the equine royalty in the herd). If he or she has greeted you, then the others get their turn, in order. You must keep contact with the herd leader, and with his/her prime officers, that is just done psychologically, he/she must know that you are watching them, that your eyes are on them. This will "dominate" them, when you are present. Should that horse go to "discipline" one of the lesser horses, you discipline them instead, calling them out. That you will not allow that while you are present, because YOU are dominant, and they must behave when you are present, because you say so.

This is difficult to do if you do not have a relationship with EVERY horse in the herd, and "know" every horse in the herd, especially the more dominant horses. But even if your relationship is only with your own horse, and not with the others, and not with the dominant ones, you must be aware of this striation in the herd, when you enter the herd. Keep your eye on the dominant ones, they are the ones who will cause the others to bolt, or skitter, or run you over. The one that runs you over will be one of the lower ranking horses, being moved by one of the more dominant horses who is not paying attention to you, and not being effectively dominated by you.

If you enter a herd of horses without taking these things into consideration, you are in grave danger of injury. You are socially unaware, and they weigh over a thousand pounds each and have an attitude and opinions and social striation in the herd. Make a mistake in this situation, and accidents can happen. "Green" handlers should not have to do this... keeping control in a herd situation takes a human who is skilled and experienced in equine sociology and communication.
                              www.cordovafarm.weebly.com

Comment

You should always have something in your hand - the lunge whip, a lead line to pitch at them, a hat to smack on your leg.

Comment

I seem to be in the minority here expecting my horses to behave and respect my space even at liberty in the pasture. They can come up for cuddles if I invite but if someone wants to crowd me and 'treat me like another horse', they're gonna get corrected.

At night when they come in I call them to the barn (which is attached to their pasture through the arena) and expect them to go one at a time into their stalls in an orderly fashion without rushing or crowding humans. They do it every time.

Comment

Originally posted by dungrulla View Post
                                    I seem to be in the minority here expecting my horses to behave and respect my space even at liberty in the pasture. They can come up for cuddles if I invite but if someone wants to crowd me and 'treat me like another horse', they're gonna get corrected.

At night when they come in I call them to the barn (which is attached to their pasture through the arena) and expect them to go one at a time into their stalls in an orderly fashion without rushing or crowding humans. They do it every time.
                                    It's not you they're crowding - at least not intentionally. They're fighting amongst each other, and in the rush to get away from the alpha who is about to kick their little behind, you just happen to be in the way. When they're in the panic mode of "definite pain incoming" they don't even look around. Especially young ones.

I'd say that is one of the few times I get nervous around horses is in large groups in a pasture. Up to 3, I'm fine. 4+ is where I'm starting to get edgy. In the big pastures of 10 or more, I am so hyper vigilant. I know they can tell when you're scared but dang, if I can't help it.

OP, I'm glad you're ok. I wish I could tell you what happened to you is rare, but frankly it's not. Be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by dungrulla View Post

You’re in the minority in the fact that you think pasture accidents happen because people don’t expect horses to behave. Things happen. They are horses.

endlessclimb described it perfectly.

OP I’m glad you’re okay. Bring a whip with you. You don’t need to use it or let them know you have it, but it’s better to have one in case you need it. I almost got run down by a 5 yo Clydesdale. Young horses indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

You’re in the minority in the fact that you think pasture accidents happen because people don’t expect horses to behave. Things happen. They are horses.

endlessclimb described it perfectly.
                                        Yes, you are correct. Accidents also happen because horse saw a plastic bag, because a bee existed, and sometimes just because rider lost their balance. But if you can't be in a field with your horses without a whip in your hand, you may have some issues. Even if they're trying to get away from the 'alpha', I expect I am the lead authority if I'm in there and that my horses will behave themselves around me. A horse that is trying to get away is not behaving, and neither is the horse doing the pushing.

Comment

Working...
                                        X