Sport Horse Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I have "sucker" tattooed on my forehead. UPDATE-3: He looks better!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to be a Debbie Downer, But did you get the BoS in the mail, and was the check cashed.?

You are doing a great job.

Carry on!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
      Not to be a Debbie Downer, But did you get the BoS in the mail, and was the check cashed.?

You are doing a great job.

Carry on!
      Not at all... Yes I did!!! She pushed it to the last day possible, but I have the cancelled check & signed BoS in my records
      <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

YES!!!
        Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Ouch!
          At least you can see the weight gain in the Owie pics
          Horses: Masters of the Mystery Wound

My TB managed to slice his upper lip - needed 7 stitches to close - on a Sunday, in his stall.
          Not a drop of blood anywhere, finetoothed search turned up no obvious sharp things.
          Emergency vet call @ approx $50/per stitch.
          Healed w/o a scar.

Same horse bit DH's horse, leaving a hunk of lip hanging. Our fault for facing them in the crossties.
          No blood, so I used wire cutters to take off the flap so it couldn't tear further.
          I thought poor, tenderhearted DH would faint, he Could.Not.Watch.
          Healed up fine.

How's Dutch's healing going?
          *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
          Steppin' Out 1988-2004
          Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
          Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

how did you know he was post EPM?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by luckymaverick View Post
              how did you know he was post EPM?
              I still trim for the barn he was at 3.5 years ago and know the manager well. She gave me "The Rest of the Story."
              <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post

How's Dutch's healing going?

Quite well, all things considered. My trusty roommate, a great horsewoman herself, did the daily doctoring while I was in Pensacola for Blue Angels' Homecoming. It's filing in nicely, with no puss since last week.
                Last edited by ChocoMare; Nov. 27, 2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

πŸ€žπŸ‘Glad the healing is going well.
                  And that you have a Resident Farmsitter 😁

Hey!
                  (From your wedding thread)
                  Where's the dress pics?
                  Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

• Original Poster

He's doing so much better. Had the chiro out on Saturday to evaluate his post-EPM rear end and give him the once over. He's still a bit wonky and has moments of not really knowing where his right hind leg is. She worked on him for about 45 minutes and he was licking/chewing plus half asleep! I will be putting weighted bell boots on his rear fetlocks to give the brain a chance to reconnect better with his feet.

He's still happily eating anything put in his bucket but he especially loves his chopped Alfalfa with Canola Oil. Methinks he's put on about 40 pounds.

I've decided to leave him by himself until the rest of my property is fenced in February. This way, I won't worry about the bully mares running him ragged.
                    Last edited by ChocoMare; Nov. 26, 2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

He's looking great! Bless you for taking him on. There's a special place in Heaven for people like you!

Comment

Looks like he is filling in nicely.

Good for you!

Comment

So exciting to hear about his progress! He is looking well loved!

Comment

• Original Poster

The improvement continues for Dutch. He's put on about 70 pounds now, so I've cut him back to once-a-day feed, but as always, he has 24/7 access to hay.

I let him out with the mares for a few days while it was warm and he got to really stretch his legs! https://www.facebook.com/ChocoMare/v...7511030982650/

He may always be a bit wonky in that right rear from the EPM, but..... I put a weighted bell boot on it to see if we can get the brain to reconnect to that limb a bit better. If he keeps improving, I have plans to send him to a local trainer (I trim her 4 dressage horses, so know her abilities). She's excellent at ground driving and proper use of side reins to build topline.
                            Last edited by ChocoMare; Dec. 27, 2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Happy fellow that.

Looks like running he was flagging his tail well, so he has fair movement back there.
                              May still gain more with the right kind of therapy.
                              You never know until you try.

Comment

He looks amazing!

Comment

Nice horse save! What will you use him for? Does he have any training issues?

The never say never seems to get blown out of the water. God has a sense of humor. I swore no Appys when I was a kid and knew a few that really were knotheads. Who do we trust to carry our beloved child? An Appy. Big, goofy, but with a good heart.

Comment

Happy Holidays for Dutch & his "harem"
                                    Bluey to me that flagged tail says "I'm da Man!"
                                    Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

• Original Poster

[QUOTE=Moonlitoaks;n10543378]Nice horse save! What will you use him for? Does he have any training issues?QUOTE]

No training issues as far as I know. He had been a low-level eventer.

If he comes sound & safe enough for riding, he'll be a trail horse for me and whoever visits that can ride properly.
                                      If he doesn't, he'll just be a horse

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoMare View Post

I put a weighted bell boot on it to see if we can get the brain to reconnect to that limb a bit better.
                                        Can you tell me a bit more about using weighted bell boots?

Comment

Working...
                                        X