Sport Horse Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many saddles is reasonable to own?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mvp View Post

No. But I, rather, I want you to buy a horse and come along with me as we make up bridle horses along side our GP dressage horses.

Ok, then: At least show me pictures of the Dale Chavez, if you have 'em.
    LOL. I'm in. Here you go.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I have 4 riding horses and 6 saddles. DH has one horse he barely rides and he has 3 I think. I am a bit of a tack addict and have an unhealthily large collection of Edgewood bridles. However high-end saddles are too expensive, so while I would like to buy a ton of them, I can't

On a separate note, I'm casually in the process of buying my first ever western saddle (to start my 3yos in) so the count should go up by one in the next month or so.
      A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

Comment

3 rideable horses, 8 saddles. I do have one I have been trying to sell but have had zero luck
        Wouldst thou like the taste of butter and pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Comment

Originally posted by ElementFarm View Post
          I have 4 riding horses and 6 saddles. DH has one horse he barely rides and he has 3 I think. I am a bit of a tack addict and have an unhealthily large collection of Edgewood bridles. However high-end saddles are too expensive, so while I would like to buy a ton of them, I can't

On a separate note, I'm casually in the process of buying my first ever western saddle (to start my 3yos in) so the count should go up by one in the next month or so.
          To my English TA(dd)ck-dicts.

When you get a western saddle, you will need a standing and stout saddle tree, with swinging arms. Your Hunter Princess saddle rack will be summarily ripped out of the wall by almost any self-respecting western saddle.

Those saddle trees have three levels, so you will need to buy four Western saddles.
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post

LOL. I'm in. Here you go.
            Lovely saddle. What is the provenance of that one? Justify your answer.

But the Bridle Horse people ride in Wade saddles. They would laugh at us in our deep, made for show western saddles.

And so you'd have to buy another one.
            The armchair saddler
            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
              Three English, one a Stubben Rex that is almost 50 years old and in prime shape.
              I gave away my Stubben Parzival and then regretted it, which is probably why I just keep collecting saddles, and everything else, now. Just as well too, because my granddaughter is riding more and who knows what she'll need?

Comment

Originally posted by DinkyDonk View Post

Someone worse than me! I only have 7 for 2 horses!
                I have a DH Walker western saddle (old bear trap 14" seat) that I'll probably never use because it's so heavy, another no name buck stitched narrow tree heavy old Western saddle, an old Buena Vista Pampas saddle, a really old centerfire rigged high pommel and cantle western saddle, my old Big Horn roping saddle, 15" Wintec Western, 15" Simco Western, 16" Abetta Western, 16" Big Horn synthetic Western, 16" Wyoming Saddlery synthetic Western with a mule tree, 17" Wintec Pro Contourbloc, 17.5" Wintec Pro Contourbloc, old 17.5" Wintec Dressage, 17.5" Nickers Saddlery Sensation (treeless), and 4 homemade Cordura treeless saddles. So 5 english , 9 western, and 4 homemade treeless for 3 riders, occasional guests, 3 horses, and a mule. We used to have more horses and mules, but they're slowly dying off while their tack lives on.

Comment

Lovely saddle. What is the provenance of that one? Justify your answer.

But the Bridle Horse people ride in Wade saddles. They would laugh at us in our deep, made for show western saddles.

And so you'd have to buy another one.
                  It's a nice piece of work. I admire the craftsmanship. But it was never for me, and DH only loved riding for a minute. So it's just sitting around being unhappily useless. ;>

We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                  -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I have 1 horse and 2 saddles......but only because I'm not rich. They do both have a purpose, though, because horse has switched mainly to dressage now and is schooling at a level that IMO is much easier in a dressage saddle (solid 2nd/playing with 3rd). I still like to pop over jumps once in a while and if I ride a greenie I prefer my jumping saddle, so I don't want to sell that one.

I do peruse the used saddle websites regularly in case there's a good deal in my odd size. I wouldn't hate replacing my Stubben Siegfried with something a bit cushier now that I'm used to my comfy Laser dressage saddle.
                    I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

One horse has 3 saddles - 1 jumping (Jeffries) and 2 dressage (County, Bates) for two different riders (but in my defense, one was bought new in 1985)

The two ponies have one saddle each (Pessoa, Courbette)

There are currently 3 unused saddles. I would like to sell one of them (Courbette) but keep the other two (an old Crosby Mark VII that fits most horses and is expendable if used for breaking, etc and a Jeffries Elite). I'd also like to sell one of the ponies AND that pony's saddle. I actually hate the saddle, but it's the only one out of the 8 I have that fits. I recently sold a saddle, and sold another one about 2 years ago. I have lots of saddle pads but it seems like the "clean" pile is always running low.

Comment

The question is indeed a trap. Just plead the Fifth. It will be OK.
                        That's my reaction! Why would you keep count?

I always laugh when people say it's hard to buy a saddle. It's too damn easy! They come out of the woodwork and find me.

I usually sell a saddle if I haven't ridden in it or a year.The exception is my dressage saddle, which was made for me. I couldn't replace it for anywhere near the cost I paid for it, so I've got it in storage.

Occasionally, I'll find a particular saddle that I like that's no longer made and I'll buy a spare .

There are so many reasons to not sell saddles.

And, as I tell my husband, they are good investments. I often am able to sell at a profit when I do move on.

So, I will admit to owning eight saddles for two horses. But in truth, I just stopped counting.
                        Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                        EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Originally posted by PNWjumper View Post
                          I think I have 16? But will admit that I might be a bit of a hoarder
                          You're making me feel better. I also agree there is no legal limit, so why not?
                          Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                          EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Working...
                          X