Sport Horse Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many saddles is reasonable to own?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many saddles is reasonable to own?

How do you pick the ones that you need to let go?
    3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 10582097494459230781640628620899862803482534211706 79821480865132823066470938446095505822317253594081 284811174502841027019385.....

To own? N + 1
    (N = number of saddle racks you have)

To let go? I have let some go, but I usually end up wanting them back.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

Why, who's asking? I don't appreciate your tone.
      http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

How many saddles is reasonable to own?

None, but none of us are reasonable... we had four or five per horse, plus harness ... but the horses were ridden/worked multiple disciplines

Comment

Ha! I am down to 4. One Western show from childhood, one Wintec trail, one dressage, and one jumping. From 9 so I think I have done rather well! I need to add a few....because none of my horses are the same size now.....sigh. 4 is not enough.

Comment

It is reasonable to own as many as necessitate special considerations for storing them.

Comment

Originally posted by seabreeze View Post
              To own? N + 1
              (N = number of saddle racks you have)

To let go? I have let some go, but I usually end up wanting them back.
              How funny. That's exactly what I was going to say.
              "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
              that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

Three English, one a Stubben Rex that is almost 50 years old and in prime shape.
                Three western, one also very old ranch saddle that is a bit tight any more.
                Is a 13", from when I was 98 lbs.

Starting to clean out tack room and soon quit, but just not quite yet.

Comment

No limit IMO. It depends on how many horses and what you do. I have two dressage and a western right now. I currently have one riding horse but if I get a second horse again in the future, I'd get a second western.

I decide what to sell based on how it fits my horse, how well it fits me, and asthetics. I've definitely sold a few I regret but usually find something to fill the void eventually. TG for eBay and used saddle sites.

Comment

It’s not unreasonable to own as many as you want. I have let saddles go and then wish I had them back.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
                      Why, who's asking? I don't appreciate your tone.
                      LOL

Comment

I only sell them if I don't like them. At the moment I have 3. A Lovatt & Ricketts AP that is perfect for me, an old Passier that is now too small for my (bigger) old butt, and a trail/endurance.
                        Last edited by HPFarmette; Oct. 2, 2019, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I have a total of four. Two custom trail saddles, a ranch cutter, and an adorable children’s show saddle for the children that never come to visit. Two of these saddles do live full time in my spare bedroom, mainly because they are clean and mold free, and I refuse to let them get dirty. I guess I could get down to three.
                          "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

I do not even know how many I have. I do know it is more than I have saddle racks.

Comment

I have owned as many as 4 at one time.... while never actually owning a horse
                              Flickr

Comment

Three County saddles, two horses. We’re worth it :-)
                                Last edited by Wilbury Pie; Oct. 2, 2019, 11:00 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Kinda like potato chips...can't have just one

Comment

Two in use, two on consignment and my first saddle I'll never get rid of. Oh yeah, one horse.

Now I'm self conscious.

Comment

There's no limit. If you sell a saddle, it's pretty much guaranteed that a horse that requires that size will immediately appear in your barn, so it's actually more economical to just keep your saddles.

Comment

I own one retired horse who doesn't need a saddle.

I lease a horse so I can ride. It has been detemined and confirmed that the saddle that came with lease horse does not fit her.

I own one dressage saddle, one all purpose saddle, and have more or less permanent custody of a friend's dressage saddle. Of course, not one of these three saddles fits my lease horse - so there is a saddle charged to my credit card and currently in transit that I am hoping might work for her.

I also own two saddles with suspected broken/twisted trees that we are going to dissect at a future Pony Club meeting.

Comment

Working...
                                        X