Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Real Estate Spotlight

97 Spring Lane (1)

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WWYD if this was your child?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MsM View Post
    Getting run off with at an early stage as a rider is usually scary because it removes that feeling that you are in control. Without a lot of tools to cope with such behavior, a rider will feel very insecure. It sounds like your daughter thinks of it as something particular to that pony and that will help her get past it. I still might have a word with her instructor after a while and ask them to pay particular attention to teaching her stopping techniques, so when she moves up to a more energetic pony she has some skill and confidence if it gets quick.

I do draw a distinction between types of runaways. I had a QH as a teen that I suspect had been messed up with bad gaming training. He ran off with me many times! But he did not run blind and I learned to be philosophical about going in unplanned directions at a high rate of speed until I learned to mostly control him. But another horse at the stable I considered to be a dangerous bolter as he seemed to run blindly even though not afraid. I saw him literally run into a stone wall! No way I would get on that horse. I have had horses spook and run, but fortunately, I either was able to circle and regain control or could point them at a wall - they were not in a blind panic or determined to run.

I did not have kids to make me more careful. Age seemed to do the trick...
    That works too

Comment

Working...
    X