Sport Horse Spotlight

Flamenco head 2 (web)_300DH

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biomechanics help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biomechanics help!

I've recently noticed that I lean right over fences, and when I fall it's always to the left. Can someone help me understand what's going on biomechanically to influence these patterns? I can't put it together. Thanks!
    “When you have a Thoroughbred and a mare and she’s got big ears and big eyes, you’re set and that’s sealed.” Jimmy Wofford

Without a video its hard to say. But I would start looking for answers first in your base of support, which is your hips and pelvis. I would guess that there is some asymmetry there, and possibly you have mild scoliosis as well?

Leaning to the right, falling to the left, makes me think that your lean to the right involves collapsing the right side and weighting your left hip so that you bulge to the left. If you are hunching forward at all, that will make it worse.

As a first step I would go to a good physiotherapist or chiropractor or RMT that can measure your bones and see what unbalances you are carrying about with you. Then you can do longe lessons with your trainer working on seat, knowing what basic weaknesses you need to compensate for.

Comment

My guess would be that you are actually unbalanced to the left - more weight to the left side. When jumping you lean right with the top of your body to compensate or counterbalance.
      Flickr

Comment

Get into a clinic with Mary Wanless or find one of her instructors.
        "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

I would recommend taking a video, in slow motion if possible from the front and back. There are a few equine biomechanics instructors that you could reach out to online for a virtual lesson. The Rider Remedy is one person I can think of right now.

Comment

Try to have a few sessions with a Centered Riding instructor.
            No matter where you go, there you are

Comment

Do you do this on different horses?
              A crooked horse can make a crooked rider and vice versa.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by GoodTimes View Post
                Do you do this on different horses?
                A crooked horse can make a crooked rider and vice versa.
                That's an interesting thought. Unfortunately, I don't have the occasion to ride other horses over fences.
                “When you have a Thoroughbred and a mare and she’s got big ears and big eyes, you’re set and that’s sealed.” Jimmy Wofford

Comment

sounds like you are in New Zealand

in the Northern hemisphere, rotation is to the right (clockwise). In the Southern hemisphere to the left (counter clockwise).

Comment

Working...
                  X