Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

158 Hundred Acer Farm Honea Path SC-3
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Riding Student falls- procedure and etiquette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by x View Post
    It is possible to do only w/t/c--flat classes--in the IEA--but still you are supposed to be at a higher level than what you are showing at. The beginner novice classes are only w/t/c, but again, you are supposed to have had a minimum of a year continuous riding/instruction before being a part of it, and be competent to ride all three gaits on a strange horse with no warm-up or practice; for the flat classes you are put on a strange horse and are in the ring in front of the judge--no warm-up or practice on the horse, and you can be mounted on pretty much any size horse as well--she needs to be able to deal with various sized gaits at the w/t/c, because each horse is going to move a bit different from other horses--she needs to be able to adjust to various horses quickly.
    Okay thanks for explaining.

She may be a little lower than she should be for IEA. First year for us....so it's all new to me. I didn't know she should know a higher level than she competes at.
    I would say she has averaged 2 lessons a month for the last year.....and really likely 2 lessons a month over the last 2 years. summers not as consistent. But horse day camp both.

Comment

• Originally posted by darcilyna View Post

Thanks for sharing your experience. First two falls were at a walk or trot speed I think. 3rd one was from a canter.

I cannot believe I let her get in the 3rd time.
      Don’t blame yourself! Here’s what not getting involved really looks like: My parents, who loved me very much, were watching from the stands as I jumped a course at a show. The horse gave a true dirty stop at an fence and I flew off and ended up draped over the oxer’s poles!

This was the 80s and helmets were velvet “items of apparel” and the parenting style was much looser involvement in their kids’ dangerous activities , especially on Marine bases where I grew up.

I remember looking at my parents as I extricated myself from the fence and they were conducting an animated conversation with another spectator. 😄

My trainer, an ex- cavalry guy, caught the horse, threw my into the saddle and told me to “do it right this time”. And I did. Is it right that I loved that guy? Lol!
      "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." —Bradley Trevor Greive

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post

Don’t blame yourself! Here’s what not getting involved really looks like: My parents, who loved me very much, were watching from the stands as I jumped a course at a show. The horse gave a true dirty stop at an fence and I flew off and ended up draped over the oxer’s poles!

This was the 80s and helmets were velvet “items of apparel” and the parenting style was much looser involvement in their kids’ dangerous activities , especially on Marine bases where I grew up.

I remember looking at my parents as I extricated myself from the fence and they were conducting an animated conversation with another spectator. 😄

My trainer, an ex- cavalry guy, caught the horse, threw my into the saddle and told me to “do it right this time”. And I did. Is it right that I loved that guy? Lol!
        Omg! Wow what an experience

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by x View Post
          Incidentally, the 4th and 5th grade riders are a trial for the IEA this year--in the past, you had to be in 6th grade or above to show IEA; they are trying out letting 4th and 5th graders in this year.
          Yes I saw that. Mine is 11 and 6th grade. Her IEA team lesson is combined ages but the lowest experienced. Age range from 4th grade to 7th grade. 6-8 kids.

Comment

• Different times for sure—they also let me hack my pony along the roads for five miles to ride at a training event when I was in seventh grade. But to be fair, they drove there to make sure I arrived!

But I was glad they never pitched a fit when I hobbled to the car after I came off in a lesson.
            "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." —Bradley Trevor Greive

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
              Different times for sure—they also let me hack my pony along the roads for five miles to ride at a training event when I was in seventh grade. But to be fair, they drove there to make sure I arrived!

But I was glad they never pitched a fit when I hobbled to the car after I came off in a lesson.
              😊

Comment

I would say she has averaged 2 lessons a month for the last year.....and really likely 2 lessons a month over the last 2 years. summers not as consistent. But horse day camp both.
                Am I correct on this? So she's only been riding for 2 years, and only averaging 2 lessons a month during those 2 years??? So she has roughly been on a horse less than 50 hours (being generous and assuming lessons are an hour each).

If that's the case your daughter is a rank beginner. There is nothing wrong with that - we all start somewhere! But she is a very, very inexperienced rider. What's the saying? It takes 10,000 hours to be proficient at something? While that might be excessive, it highlights that approximately 50 hours in the saddle is NOTHING.

Her experience level, combined with the fact that she fell off at a walk (even if the pony was being naughty) lead me to believe that there is NO WAY this child should be doing IEA. That has disaster written all over it. IEA (and IHSA, etc.) require your child to get on a strange horse and make it perform. She should be riding WAY above the level she is planning on showing a strange horse. It's one thing to be showing at the level you're riding when you're on a partner you know well. To do it on a strange horse requires a lot more skill.

I would rethink this. A lot.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by staceymc View Post

Am I correct on this? So she's only been riding for 2 years, and only averaging 2 lessons a month during those 2 years??? So she has roughly been on a horse less than 50 hours (being generous and assuming lessons are an hour each).

If that's the case your daughter is a rank beginner. There is nothing wrong with that - we all start somewhere! But she is a very, very inexperienced rider. What's the saying? It takes 10,000 hours to be proficient at something? While that might be excessive, it highlights that approximately 50 hours in the saddle is NOTHING.

Her experience level, combined with the fact that she fell off at a walk (even if the pony was being naughty) lead me to believe that there is NO WAY this child should be doing IEA. That has disaster written all over it. IEA (and IHSA, etc.) require your child to get on a strange horse and make it perform. She should be riding WAY above the level she is planning on showing a strange horse. It's one thing to be showing at the level you're riding when you're on a partner you know well. To do it on a strange horse requires a lot more skill.

I would rethink this. A lot.
                  On this message board is the first I'm hearing maybe she is not ready for IEA. Her trainers are the ones who asked ME if she was interested. Not that is adds that many hours in the scheme of things but 2 horse day camps thrown in there where they spent a lot of that time on the horse.

At her barn they ride a different horse each lesson. Rarely 2 times in a row.

At the sit down with Barn owner and head trainer I asked if she was unmatched with this horse level wise and they said no it was a fine match ....this horse had never shown this behavior before.

I wish I had photos. It wasn't like a gentle bend down he was really trying to get her off of him.

And as far as being ready for IEA she is out for 4-5 weeks which is 8-10 missed lessons so it seems it's not gonna happen this year anyways

I need to look up where it talks about qualifications for IEA...does anyone have a link to share?

I am starting to think she is the least qualified of all the kids on the team ...including the 4th graders. Ugh

Comment

• Original Poster

FYI I think I found the qualifications and will definitely be asking her trainer/IEA team manager about them for my girl. It is quite possible they are rushing her training a bit. Also a part of me thinks maybe puberty and tweenagerness is causing her to be more awkward in the pony than she has been prior to this??? Combined with only her 2nd-3rd lesson with this trainer....? I don't know! I keep defaulting to them but need to NOT DO THAT ANYMORE

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by darcilyna View Post

Okay thanks for explaining.

She may be a little lower than she should be for IEA. First year for us....so it's all new to me. I didn't know she should know a higher level than she competes at.
                      Just a quick note she has definitely ridden all sizes of horses. From ponies to some of the largest at their barn. One the co owner owns and as a pretty large grown man looks quite fitted to. She handled that horse nicely and looked fine up there (imho)

I don't know exactly what's going on ....but the trainers act like she is up to par with what she is doing ... ?

It's all confusing to me I am trying to learn and work out what is best for her and our family

Comment

...poles and cross ties ...
                        Just a note: it is "cross rails". Cross ties are what you use in the barn to secure the horse for grooming and tacking up. Cross rails are "X" jumps. The rails cross in an 'x'.

Offered simply because you indicated a desire to become more fluent.

No matter where you go, there you are

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Beck View Post

Just a note: it is "cross rails". Cross ties are what you use in the barn to secure the horse for grooming and tacking up. Cross rails are "X" jumps. The rails cross in an 'x'.

Offered simply because you indicated a desire to become more fluent.
                          😊 Thanks! My daughter is always correcting me!

Comment

• I will agree with your trainer on one thing: it's not the pony's fault.

It's the TRAINER'S fault.

Now that we have the full story (at a walk/trot, and fell off over his head), the entire thing is the trainer's fault. Not your daughter's. Not the pony's (who could either have just been acting up that day as we all know ponies do, or may be tired/sore/etc., which again, is something the trainer should have caught).

Your daughter needs better instruction, on a regular basis, with someone who specializes in starting green riders correctly. Was she ever started off on the lunge line, without stirrups. to help her develop her seat and balance? Does she know how to adjust her stirrups properly? Does the trainer encourage them to ask questions in lessons?

She might be one of those naturally good riders we all envy , but she's still inexperienced. A better instructor will be able to take that raw talent and turn it into something great.

Comment

• As I said earlier some kids look nice on a horse right from the start but that doesn't mean they have real strength or balance when things go wrong or any problem solving skills.

When I was a teenager my observation was that it took me and my friends about 30 days riding at least 2 hours a day all gaits before we could let go of mane or saddle horn and be balanced.

Now I would call that having an independent seat and it takes time but is key to everything.

I expect it would be hard to get there in 2 rides a month over 2 years. She needs more time in the saddle and coaches who understand developing seat.

Comment

• I as a trainer would probably not consider her ready for IEA with only 2 rides a month over two years. I as a trainer would consider her still a rank beginner. The camp experience I am guessing was for a week at a time? So how many weeks total? If we are talking a week or two each year that would not be enough to improve her that much with her limited time on horseback. It is possible to progress riding only twice a month, but it is very hard. I usually tell my students they need weekly lessons, and if they really want to progress, twice weekly lessons are much better (and of course, more than that is even better). But once a week is really the least that steady progress can easily be made. It takes hours of practice. Like any skill.

Comment

• Original Poster

To all those saying no way could she be READY FOR IEA with such little experience? What would you do about that? Assuming we stay with this barn? How would you broach that subject without saying "you're wrong. She is not ready"

Comment

To all those saying no way could she be READY FOR IEA with such little experience? What would you do about that? Assuming we stay with this barn? How would you broach that subject without saying "you're wrong. She is not ready"
                                    "Thank for you for thinking of her, but we are not interested in DD doing IEA at this time". You do not need to elaborate on the why if you don't wish to.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by staceymc View Post

"Thank for you for thinking of her, but we are not interested in DD doing IEA at this time". You do not need to elaborate on the why if you don't wish to.
                                      But I already paid the IEA membership and half the years total fee. ...?

Comment

• A while ago, someone recommended a book to a non-horsey parent. I don't recall the exact title but an Amazon search turned up this one, that seems kind of familiar. I'm not endorsing this, as I haven't read it, but it might be of interest.

A Parent's Guide to Riding Lessons: Everything You Need to Know to Survive and Thrive with a Horse-Loving Kid by Elise Gaston Chand

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                                        that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Alex and Bodie's Mom View Post
                                          I will agree with your trainer on one thing: it's not the pony's fault.

It's the TRAINER'S fault.

Now that we have the full story (at a walk/trot, and fell off over his head), the entire thing is the trainer's fault. Not your daughter's. Not the pony's (who could either have just been acting up that day as we all know ponies do, or may be tired/sore/etc., which again, is something the trainer should have caught).

Your daughter needs better instruction, on a regular basis, with someone who specializes in starting green riders correctly. Was she ever started off on the lunge line, without stirrups. to help her develop her seat and balance? Does she know how to adjust her stirrups properly? Does the trainer encourage them to ask questions in lessons?

She might be one of those naturally good riders we all envy , but she's still inexperienced. A better instructor will be able to take that raw talent and turn it into something great.
                                          Yes she was started on a lunge line at walk/trot for about a year of lessons. However not without stirrups on lunge line. She did walk trot with the up/down training for that year.

She says she only did no stirrups THIS YEAR at camp. Same camp she started cantering. She had done poles prior to camp just a time or two. Since camp is when it seems her training has picked up but she has also had more average one lesson per week too.

I'm trying to talk thru with her her progression of training to compare with how y'all say it should be

Comment

Working...
                                          X