Sport Horse Spotlight

Flamenco head 2 (web)_300DH

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horse scene out west

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses! I left it vague because I'd move pretty much anywhere and was just trying to get an idea of where the English horsey areas even are. I know it's going to be a different kind of scene than Michigan and more expensive of course. Part of my reasons for moving is for the hiking and wilderness areas which of course also means everything is very far apart.

Originally posted by mvp View Post
    If you told us what you can/wish to pay for board and some basic sense of what you think a house you'd live in would coast, I'll bet we can get a better sense of which West you mean.
    Right now I'm at a low-key boarding only (no lessons) barn for $450/month but that's low for the kind of care I want in Ann Arbor - was previously paying $600 at a nearby barn. My apartment is about $1000 which is on the low side of average here. If my salary is comparably higher to what I make now I'd be fine paying a little more for board and everything though.

Comment

Hiking and wilderness areas are amazing here in Nor Cal (I am outside Auburn, CA). The Sierras have so many great trails to explore. There are pockets of less expensive places to live/work, and some universities/larger work areas in both the Sacramento Valley, Redding, Reno, etc. The heat can be pretty different in each area. I have multiple days over 100 but ride in the morning or evenings and it is perfect (and I'm below the snow). The big issue is there is not as much eventing, all those trails mean endurance and trail riding are paramount. Want to become an endurance rider? 8-) Good luck in your search, keep us updated, I'm interested to know which place fits your parameters best!
      "Do your best, and leave the rest, twill all come right, some day or night" -Black Beauty

http://trails-and-trials-with-major.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by irish_horse View Post
        Hiking and wilderness areas are amazing here in Nor Cal (I am outside Auburn, CA).
        I think you live in paradise! I love the Auburn area.
        Sheilah

Comment

Northern CO up by Ft Collins--lots going on with CSU being right there, close to the mountains, dressage, eventing and hunters all there too. Trails for hiking and riding, white water rafting, skiing (Nordic and alpine) and snowmobiling.

Comment

Originally posted by DinkyDonk View Post
            Northern CO up by Ft Collins--lots going on with CSU being right there, close to the mountains, dressage, eventing and hunters all there too. Trails for hiking and riding, white water rafting, skiing (Nordic and alpine) and snowmobiling.
            On the other hand, if Ann Arbor is too much of a college town, the small size and collegiate nature of Fort Collins might not be OP's cup of tea. Jobs in OP's industry aren't likely to be found much closer than Denver, either, which would be a really long, unpleasant commute.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeTerriers View Post
              Well, I’m in California, and I’d say the “horse scene” is pretty big here. My current barn hosts large rated events (Woodland Stallion Station), and there are several other venues close enough and big enough (and believe me, many, if not all of the events you find around here will have a rather large amount of riders) like Fresno County Horse Park, Twin Rivers, etc. I could go on explaining, but to keep it short: I love it out here. Lots of competition out where I am for any type of age group or level. Not to mention that everyone I’ve met through eventing is so kind and friendly.

For barns, I highly recommend Woodland Stallion Station. Lots of trails, great cross country course (not just for competitive XC! I take my boy out there all the time for the trails), indoor arena, two outdoor arenas (one is huge and will soon be considered as two), and a dressage court. It’s a large, nice facility where everyone is really friendly and there are a lot of resources available to you. WSS hosts hunter/jumper (and show-jumping) shows roughly every month, though sometimes skips a month, and of course the rated horse trials. So yeah - large, friendly, lots of opportunities. It sounds like a busy environment but it’s really very calm.

There are plenty of other barns besides WSS that are great options as well, and the same goes for trainers.

Weather wise... it can get pretty hot here during the summer and early to mid fall. Highest temperature I remember is 113°F but that’s not often. Most of the time during a hot summer it’s around 105°F. Winters can get pretty cold, usually in the mornings it can be around 40 degrees and be around 67 - 75 degrees by noon-ish. It doesn’t rain too often, but there’s been a lot of rain when it does rain. Once you get used to the different seasons here, it’s not that bad. At least there’s no snow around where I am and farther south.

I’d say pricing around here as far as boarding and/or lessons is pretty good, at least compared to other places - more on that later if you’d like to know. (At my barn it’s around $575 per month for a stall with an outdoor run I believe, and cheaper {around $425?} for a paddock or pipepen. Same goes for stalls without an outdoor area)

Dressage scene is a good size as well, though I’m not as involved in that so I don’t really know what it’s like.

That’s my summary (for now) of northern CA. If you’ve any questions after all that, I’m happy to elaborate haha. 😆
              Hey, Threeterriers - I'm going batty trying to figure out who you are 😂🤣

I'm glad you like it here; I do too!

Comment

Working...
              X