Sport Horse Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY???????? and other questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aregard
    started a topic WHY???????? and other questions

WHY???????? and other questions

Here's mine, brought to my attention today by Dover Saddlery's Flash Sale of Irideon riding vests:

WHY does the zipper go all the way to the bottom? That's where it hits and scratches your saddle. WHY is the zipper not 2 inches shorter, so it stops short of marking your expensive leather?

What "Why?"s do you have?

• sophie
    replied
    Originally posted by MsM View Post
    Veering back on course....
    I appreciate two way zippers since I am very short in the torso.
    Ditto! I'm glad the 2-way zipper is becoming more main stream. For years I couldn't wear riding vests because of the darn one way zipper.

I'm adding penguin crotch and moose knuckle to my vocabulary LOL

Leave a comment:

• lifeishorsesarelove
    replied
    Oh dear. To save someone's search history, moose knuckle is the man's camel toe, essentially.

I would like to know WHY so many *modern* horse boots and leg protection options are made of the most difficult materials to clean. Why, for example, do we need a felted exterior on SMBs? It NEVER comes clean properly, and boots get the dirtiest, being close to the ground. I understand why some things are used (leather, sheepskin, fleece) as thsy are traditional materials. But why do we keep developing new products that are impossible to keep clean!?!

Leave a comment:

• MsM
    replied
    Veering back on course....
    I appreciate two way zippers since I am very short in the torso. The down side of those is that some of them will creep more and more open from the bottom as you ride!

Leave a comment:

• Linny
    replied
    Oh, dear, this thread has certainly veered off course...

Leave a comment:

• Rackonteur
    replied

I just Googled "moose knuckle".

Leave a comment:

• Rackonteur
    replied
    Me too, please.

Leave a comment:

• Cat Tap
    replied
    Originally posted by jvanrens View Post

I guess you've never heard of a moose knuckle yet either?
    Oh no, please enlighten me.

Leave a comment:

• jvanrens
    replied
    Originally posted by Cat Tap View Post
    It is amazing what you learn on Coth. Penguin crotch. Last year I learned about "camel toe".
    I guess you've never heard of a moose knuckle yet either?

Leave a comment:

• Somantu
    replied
    Originally posted by emipou View Post
    …What I want to know is, why can't more vests have the double zipper? Some of us have hips you know.
    YES! Exactly this. And jackets need 2-way zippers as well!

Leave a comment:

• ecileh
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishBirdcatcher View Post
    Why do womens' boot manufacturers offer custom heights, custom calve sizes, custom colors.... but no wide widths for the footbed? Off the rack men's cowboy boots, workboots, and shoes regularly offer a choice of foot widths.

Also, am I the only one whose toes don't taper to a point after the ball of my foot? I need a squarer toebox.
    Somewhat unrelated, but I was just shopping at Eddie Bauer on line this morning and bought my husband two pairs of chinos. They have 25 size combinations for men's chinos. Waist to inseam at 1 inch increments from 30/30 to 40/34. And, for women? 10 sizes (0 to 20) with petite, regular, and tall. WHY?????

Leave a comment:

• mvp
    replied
    Originally posted by 16 Hands View Post
    Why are shirts in general made for people with stick arms? I cannot find a shirt that fits my arms if I'm looking at new stuff. I don't think I have enormous biceps, they're normal size for someone of a certain age. Everything is so teeny tiny around the arms I don't even bother shopping anymore, I wear a lot of t-shirts or have to go up 3 sizes just to fit into it. Also, why are Wrangler jeans always 6 inches too long? I have short legs and with the cuffs stacked up it makes them look even shorter, can't they just make jeans that are a length that fits?
    Wait a sec, that stacking thing is A Thing. It's so that you aren't wearing fugly and non-functional floods when you are mounted.

That said, I don't know how to make stacked jeans, or jeans that I could actually ride in when I'm on the ground. I am quite certain that that is because I'm not built like the yummy cowboy model-- long legs, little, nice handful of a booty-- that is usually seen in Wranglers.

Leave a comment:

• IrishBirdcatcher
    replied
    Why do womens' boot manufacturers offer custom heights, custom calve sizes, custom colors.... but no wide widths for the footbed? Off the rack men's cowboy boots, workboots, and shoes regularly offer a choice of foot widths.

Also, am I the only one whose toes don't taper to a point after the ball of my foot? I need a squarer toebox.

Leave a comment:

• emipou
    replied
    Well I am obsessed with wearing vests because they help keep the chub down, but I've never encountered any issues with zippers rubbing the saddle.

What I want to know is, why can't more vests have the double zipper? Some of us have hips you know.

Leave a comment:

• roseymare
    replied
    Originally posted by 16 Hands View Post
    Why are shirts in general made for people with stick arms? I cannot find a shirt that fits my arms if I'm looking at new stuff. I don't think I have enormous biceps, they're normal size for someone of a certain age. Everything is so teeny tiny around the arms I don't even bother shopping anymore, I wear a lot of t-shirts or have to go up 3 sizes just to fit into it. Also, why are Wrangler jeans always 6 inches too long? I have short legs and with the cuffs stacked up it makes them look even shorter, can't they just make jeans that are a length that fits?
    The arm thing is so annoying. I don't know when that started.

Leave a comment:

• 16 Hands
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mvp
    replied
    Originally posted by aregard View Post

Yeah, I can do that myself. I'm just wondering about the thought process. What critical need is satisfied by having the zipper at the exact bottom of the vest?

But I'm enjoying some of you-all's "WHY?"s, too. Penguin crotch HAHA!
    In answer to your basic metaphysical question:

The piss-poor design comes from a riding clothing company not knowing jack about what happens when one is actually on a horse in their clothes. I think there is lots of really bad clothing design for horsing out there now.

Leave a comment:

• mvp
    replied
    Originally posted by ecileh View Post
    WHY do off-the-shelf boot manufacturers assume that if you have a long leg, you have a small calf and that, if you have a big calf, you have a short leg?!
    Indeed. I'm 5'1" and wear talls in most off-the-shelf boots.

Of course the models in catalogues wear boots that are too short and it's eye-poison that you just can't unsee.

Leave a comment:

• Cat Tap
    replied
    Originally posted by Somantu View Post
    Gah! Penguin crotch. Mine got caught on the cantle while mounting.
    That reminded me of the time I was dismounting a horse with a western saddle. I was wearing a shirt with buttons. The shirt got caught on the horn and tore the whole shirt open.as I jumped off. Wouldn't have been as bad if had been wearing something underneath.

Leave a comment:

• aregard
    replied
    Originally posted by OneTwoMany View Post

A good tailor can replace the zipper with one that is shorter. Depending on the work involved, it may not be cheap, but probably worth investigating.
    Yeah, I can do that myself. I'm just wondering about the thought process. What critical need is satisfied by having the zipper at the exact bottom of the vest?

But I'm enjoying some of you-all's "WHY?"s, too. Penguin crotch HAHA!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X