Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Draft horse shoeing vid, I found this ​​​​​​​mesmerizing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft horse shoeing vid, I found this ​​​​​​​mesmerizing

Long-time member, but probably first time posting in off course!

Noted without comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmT-I-pzcaI

Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

That's some contraption! Never seen anything like that.
    ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

I've ordered something vaguely similar - wooden, not so cool and mobile (I wish!) shoeing stocks.
      Will see how it goes!
      great as draftie can have ahard time holding those feet up for as long as it takes to shoe - that's a LOT of weight! and one can do other stuff as well once theyre in the stock.
      Or you can get a tilt table - they're led into a shute which when turns htem on their side. One guyd does the front, someone else does the rear, all pretty quick.
      the problem is tha ta lot of drafties get neglected because they can't hold their feet up

Comment

What a sweet horse!

Comment

seen the hydraulic tables?

https://youtu.be/nKPGbS8-w1A

Comment

OK, I don't know anything about shoeing, other than when my horse needs it. Can someone tell me the benefit of letting the horse's hoof catch fire from a shoe that is too hot. That's what it looks like in this video. I have watched my horses a bazillion times getting shod (including my current draft X), and have never seen such a thing. The contraption that he shoes the horse on is nice tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrus' Mom View Post
              OK, I don't know anything about shoeing, other than when my horse needs it. Can someone tell me the benefit of letting the horse's hoof catch fire from a shoe that is too hot. That's what it looks like in this video. I have watched my horses a bazillion times getting shod (including my current draft X), and have never seen such a thing. The contraption that he shoes the horse on is nice tho.
              We hot shod all our horses but we didn't burn them like that.
              We did burn just enough to mark where there may be a high spot and as they thought to burn shut the tubules in the hoof bottom to keep bacteria from entering there where we just had trimmed.
              I too was wondering about the flames, not a good idea to be catching anything on fire, but I guess they know what they were doing.

We didn't use stocks, we had a hoof holder and a farrier, that is who was working on the hoof as presented and held by the leg holder.

Comment

Thanks Bluey, I wish I could get my farrier that contraption for when he shoes Ty. Looks very helpful for a big heavy kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrus' Mom View Post
                  Yeah, I also thought that he held the hot shoe on the hoof too long.

I definitely think that when horses get this large (and some larger!) one would need some aids or a device such as this. It's a lot of weight and big hoof!

Comment

That was something to watch. It takes a very well mannered horse to put them in something like that.

My farrier hot shoes my foundered horse. She leaves the shoe on quite awhile to cauterize the whiteline. The smoke has really rolled off my horse's hooves but I never honestly thought the hoof could be caught on fire during the process ---- until I watched this video ---- ho-leee mo-leee that was an eye popper. Bless that Draft for not flinching

Comment

Portable stocks.

So glad the BIG Shire-X gelding I trim is such a good boy. He leaves his hoof in the Hoof Jack Cradle and I grind away with my 4-inch Makita. Granted, those big hooves eat about 1 pad per hoof, but he's done in short order.

He holds himself up just fine...no stocks.

That was the same with my late 17.3 Percheron. I convinced her she was perfectly capable of balancing on three legs, thank you very much.
                      <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X