Stallion Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

BarnApartmentFront
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Wearing glasses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing glasses

In the past, even though I needed reading glasses, I was able to ride with out them. I have entered the life stage of multi-focals, and am at the point in life where I need glasses to ride. (Bah humbug!). This winter was a problem. Every time I stopped, the glasses would fog over and I can’t see! I thought it would be a winter problem, and I try to wear contacts at least half the time, but I discovered even in the summer, my glasses get foggy. It’s driving me nuts. Any tips on anything I can treat my glasses with to keep this from happening?

There are products that you can get at most drugstores that you spray on the lenses when cleaning them that supposedly lessen the fogging problem.

I wear contacts, so I don't personally have the problem. My husband (who is a bike-rider and a squash player, not an equestrian), does wear glasses, and he solves the problem by wearing prescription sports glasses (for riding a bike) and prescription goggles (while playing squash). Both tend to be ventilated better than regular glasses and don't fog as easily.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

I wear bifocal contacts.

Comment

Mine will occassionalky fog in the winter but I've never had that problem in the summer. Maybe it's a fit issue, the glasses are too close to your face? Maybe try a different style next time?
        http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

Have you thought about laser vision correction? I wear glasses too and contacts don’t work for me. I’m saving for lasik

Comment

I wear multi focal contact lenses. My eye dr is one of the top guys in the country and he recently told me that everything at our age is now a compromise. You will never have perfect vision with anything, but you do what you need to do to get by. So if that means wearing multi focal contacts while riding, then go for it. I hate glasses with a passion. I only wear them if I cannot wear contacts or if I need reading glasses for up close. The brand I am using is Dailies Total One.

Comment

• Original Poster

I too hate wearing glasses with a passion LOL. If I can do contacts I will, but there are days I just can’t get them in because my eyes are irritated from something. The contacts aren’t as good as my glasses, so if i need to see really close details for work that day I wear glasses. I’ve been told I’m not a good candidate for laser correction, that was my first question when I first got glasses!

I will look into the anti fog stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Nova2000 View Post
                In the past, even though I needed reading glasses, I was able to ride with out them. I have entered the life stage of multi-focals, and am at the point in life where I need glasses to ride. (Bah humbug!). This winter was a problem. Every time I stopped, the glasses would fog over and I can’t see! I thought it would be a winter problem, and I try to wear contacts at least half the time, but I discovered even in the summer, my glasses get foggy. It’s driving me nuts. Any tips on anything I can treat my glasses with to keep this from happening?
                I am genuinely curious at how you are fogging up your glasses in summer. The only time I have managed to do that is when I was working in basically a walk in freezer and went inside. Summer is the time I have more filthy glasses due to dust and grime. The anti fog stuff works to a degree but I'm personally not a fan of it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by horseshorseshorseshorses View Post

I am genuinely curious at how you are fogging up your glasses in summer. The only time I have managed to do that is when I was working in basically a walk in freezer and went inside. Summer is the time I have more filthy glasses due to dust and grime. The anti fog stuff works to a degree but I'm personally not a fan of it.
                  No idea how I’m doing it! I know the days it happened it was quite humid. It happens when I stop and take a break. It’s not all the time in summer, it was during about a two week stretch, but I’ve also been taking it really easy recently because my guy is still young. I’ve toyed with the idea of trying out the rec spex or whatever they are called specificity for athletics , but one pair of glasses is so expensive, I can’t afford to have another one just for that. I am going to try adding reading glasses to my contacts for those moments when I need they extra magnifying power, which will let me wear contacts in general on more days.

Comment

I live in a warm, humid climate and don't fog my glasses up outside. When I lived in a climate with winter, it didn't happen there, either, although that was with low humidity.

I have the anti-fog cleaner but I don't use it. I think it's tough on anti-reflective coating.

Rebecca

Comment

I wear prescription sunglasses 90% of the time and prescription glasses another 10% of the time when I ride. I've never had a pair of glasses fog up at the barn. Mine fog up due to extreme temperature change but at no other time. Are they staying snuggly up on your face or sliding down? Perhaps they are really sliding so far down that you're almost breathing into them? Pulling at straws here haha. If you think that could be a factor, amazon sells packs of no slip rubber nubbies for the arms of your glasses. Mine are more like tiny wings and I keep them on all the time because I despise sliding glasses.

Comment

I had rx in the -5.75 to -6 for 20 years with progressive bifocals range for the past 15. I bought high index lenses, and metal frames with adjustable nose pads Between those 2 things, the ONLY time I had glasses fog was when I went from air conditioning to steamy hot outdoors. Even then,it cleared fast by itself. Cheaper plastic or polycarbonate safety glasses fogged far worse than my street glasses. High index lenses are madée from different material.

Comment

I don't know if this will help, but I have sport framed prescription sunglasses for riding on sunny days. They sort of wrap around and cling better. I also had trouble with my regular glasses sliding down my nose, so I order the same frames as my sport sunglasses and had clear prescription lenses put in. They look a little funny, since they are designed as sunglasses, but they work wonderfully without falling off my face. I save my regular glasses for non-horse activities. The sport glasses have never fogged up on me.
                          Finding Cures, Saving Children. Sept. 29, 2019 Saddle Up for St. Jude event. Donate here.

Comment

Originally posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
                            I wear prescription sunglasses 90% of the time and prescription glasses another 10% of the time when I ride. I've never had a pair of glasses fog up at the barn. Mine fog up due to extreme temperature change but at no other time. Are they staying snuggly up on your face or sliding down? Perhaps they are really sliding so far down that you're almost breathing into them? Pulling at straws here haha. If you think that could be a factor, amazon sells packs of no slip rubber nubbies for the arms of your glasses. Mine are more like tiny wings and I keep them on all the time because I despise sliding glasses.
                            I have seen those and wondered how they work and how comfortable they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nova2000 View Post
                              I too hate wearing glasses with a passion LOL. If I can do contacts I will, but there are days I just can’t get them in because my eyes are irritated from something. The contacts aren’t as good as my glasses, so if i need to see really close details for work that day I wear glasses. I’ve been told I’m not a good candidate for laser correction, that was my first question when I first got glasses!

I will look into the anti fog stuff!
                              The best anti fog stuff I’ve found has been what swimmers wear with their goggles. Works amazing.

Comment

When I got my last pair of glasses I ordered them with an anti-fog coating. Works amazing! I'd recommend looking into it for sure.

Comment

I fog my glasses outside on those really humid, hot days. If I'm moving and sweating, then stop -- fog.
                                  If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

Working...
                                  X