Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Ideas for training horse to deal with seeing things in the distance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for training horse to deal with seeing things in the distance

I have my horses at home and haul out for lessons and local shows. My green guy is improving but his issue is being nervous/alert/distracted by “stuff” in the distance - horses and trailers, schooling areas, other arenas, people walking the XC course, etc. He’s reasonable about the stuff near him, and I can easily train him to cope with that in my backyard. To deal with the fear of things “on the horizon,” I recently hung pool noodles in the trees outside my arena, and plan to drape things around, etc. Just wondering if there are cool ideas I’ve not thought of - which is to keep going to shows and try to scare him occasionally at home and use positive reinforcement to improve his coping skills.

Does he have a jaded older buddy?

My favorite way to teach a young horse that the world will not eat him is to let him master progressively more challenging environments in the company of horses who have seen it all and worn out the T-shirt. Bonus points if their “babysitter” will react to spooking with the equivalent of “kid, you’re acting like a fool.”

The pool noodle idea is clever but depending on your horse and his ability to generalize, you might be teaching him “pool noodles grow on trees at my house” rather than “stuff happens in the distance and it hasn’t eaten me yet.”
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Comment

Rather disagree with Renn/aissance -- instead of working to progressively desensitize a horse to endless scary things, I work to train the horse to trust me and respond to my cues --use his energy to complete the (simple) tasks I give him and take the focus off the scary whatever. Let's say there's a giant flapping piece of plastic on the fence where we are riding in the pasture. Horse sees it and stops. I did not ask for a stop. I quietly turn him in a circle and ask for a trotted figure 8. Horse cannot focus on the plastic and do a trotted figure 8. We continue with the trotted figure 8s with loops coming closer to the scary plastic. At some point near the plastic I stop. Horse can rest unless he reacts to the the plastic --then back to trotted figure 8s, or circles or whatever moves his feet. The only time horse can rest is when he is close to the scary object. Very quickly, and quicker every time, my horses learn that scary things are GOOD unless they react incorrectly to. If we are quietly walking and horse takes a casual look-see at a flapping piece of plastic --(correct response), he's allowed to rest a few minutes and check it out. If he shies, tries to bolt, over reacts in any way, it's immediate work for not responding correctly.

When you have your horse moving his feet how you want him to --he doesn't have room in his brain to think about anything else. Call it focus if you want to. So when your horse "sees something in the distance," ok --but let's keep working until he stops noticing and only notices you. Eventually, your horse will stop noticing even the most unusual things in the distance and concentrate on what you want him to accomplish.

Does it work ? Yep ---just took my horse to do a demonstration in a noisy, crowed indoor with vendors, milling people, yelling, other horses, over head fans making weird shadows in the arena. He was all looky-loo until I mounted and we began our figure 8s --then head dropped, took a breath, moved his feet and performed flawlessly. Wonder how exactly anyone would "gradually introduce" that much confusion . . .and since horse performs solo, no way a buddy could be in the ring to calm him.

Comment

I have a horse with a similar issue, very concerned about horses/people moving in the distance. No cool ideas from me unfortunately. It just took a lot of going to shows and hanging around watching until he relaxed. Sometimes it took an hour of standing in one spot waiting for him to chill before we moved on. Exhausting, but much improved by the end of that summer.
        Manage your horse information with the Horsekeeping App www.horsebytes.ca

Comment

Wet saddle pads, shoulder fore, lots of neck rubbings and spiraling circles. He needs connection through your riding to engage his mind.

Comment

Come to my County Fair.
            Arena classes take place with very high noisy metal bleachers along one long side. And lights at night, very bright lights.
            Add kids jumping on said bleachers, other side has more (wood) bleachers & vendors making smoke & noise & smells.
            Midway is in sight, with flashing lights, screaming passengers on rides, plus the added attraction of Demolition Derby & Truck Pulls happening in the nearby Grandstands.

Gate is crowded with watchers shouting advice to their favorites & (small) warmup is just beyond the gate filled with milling riders and/or drivers prepping for the next class.
            Warmup itself has fairgoers by the hundreds meandering past, kids in strollers, leaning on the fence and blocking your entrance or exit - these are folks to whom "Heads Up" means Zero.
            Oh, if you are there for the Draft Show you can add the thrill of having a 6-Horse hitch come up behind your horse, your blinkered Driving horse, and see how that works

Even the barns are no refuge.
            I tell people the Moron Bus unloads just outside, then they wander the aisles petting all the horses (despite the very large sign just outside advising against this) holding babies up to horses' faces {shudder} more strollers invading the aislespace.....

My point is if your horse can survive this Trial By Fire, you can show ANYWHERE & it will seem positively tranquil.
            *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
            Steppin' Out 1988-2004
            Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
            Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

what distance is considered distant? When I was in Kentucky ten feet was about the max you could look into the distance due to trees, here we are on the eastern edge of the high plains... 21 miles is the distance.

Like 2Dogs county fairs can desensitize a horse. We kept one horse in Kentucky specifically to be shown the county fairs since the horse was to be our kid's .... those fairs often if not always had all the amusement rides setup next to or near the show rings ....after a few years of that nothing ever bothered her
              Not responsible for typographical errors.

Comment

As Foxglove & TMares have suggested: Get Busy! Quit being a passenger. He needs a job, and he needs to understand that you are there helping him. If he's not yet solid at shoulder-in, a little shoulder-fore. If he's not solid at his leg yield, do a turn on the forehand, take a few steps (i.e. give him a chance to be good), then another turn on the forehand. With consistency, he'll eventually throw in the towel. ("Oh Lord, here comes WORK--I'll be good, I'll be calm")

View Klimke's Olympic victory lap on Ahlerich. Klimke was not doing those one tempis to show off. He was keeping an explosive horse busy in the most challenging of circumstances.

Allowing a horse shore leave at the green stage can backfire badly, and cause him to lose confidence in his rider, and thus his focus. ("Nobody's home, so I guess I'll have to protect myself and flee.")

You have all the tools to get him rock solid at home, which will at least make him say 80% away from home. He is not allowed to be a tourist. He can be a tourist when he's had a few years of solid behavior. Hat, Hawaiian shirt, the works.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown Derby View Post
                  As Foxglove & TMares have suggested: Get Busy! Quit being a passenger. He needs a job, and he needs to understand that you are there helping him. If he's not yet solid at shoulder-in, a little shoulder-fore. If he's not solid at his leg yield, do a turn on the forehand, take a few steps (i.e. give him a chance to be good), then another turn on the forehand. With consistency, he'll eventually throw in the towel. ("Oh Lord, here comes WORK--I'll be good, I'll be calm")

View Klimke's Olympic victory lap on Ahlerich. Klimke was not doing those one tempis to show off. He was keeping an explosive horse busy in the most challenging of circumstances.

Allowing a horse shore leave at the green stage can backfire badly, and cause him to lose confidence in his rider, and thus his focus. ("Nobody's home, so I guess I'll have to protect myself and flee.")

You have all the tools to get him rock solid at home, which will at least make him say 80% away from home. He is not allowed to be a tourist. He can be a tourist when he's had a few years of solid behavior. Hat, Hawaiian shirt, the works.
                  My DH has a lovely, lovely, lovely little horse who is a complete chicken. We mostly trail ride. He'll be fussing about the gelding being out to lunch, not paying attention, etc- and w/o looking I know the horse has ample slack in the reins and DH's legs are on the dash. I will tell him 'pick the phone and call him, he doesn't know where you are!!' - and instantly DH takes up the slack and applies his legs lightly against his sides and TADA the horse is on the line going HELLO? HELLO? OH GOOD THERE YOU ARE...."

Comment

• Original Poster

Great inputs but more looking for ways to replicate chaos in the distance at home, not just the training techniques. I do ride him forward into work, although I did dismount at this last show because the footing was dew-soaked grass, so I got off and did work in hand to disengage the hindquarters, as I worried he’d slip in the footing. I plan to continue showing and coping, but like to throw in “scary” stuff at home, so any ideas to accelerate the process other than tarps or pool noodles in trees? Or did you mainly just deal with this by hauling out to active new sites? I need to rent one of those weed-clearing goat herds😂

Comment

You can make the familiar unfamiliar and he'll be put off and learn to deal. Then you'll take him somewhere else and get to deal with all the weird crap there.

You have to go and see. Again and again. My youngsters go everywhere. They hang out and eat hay and get ponied and led around. When it's time to go somewhere u/s , they (largely) don't care.

How do you learn to travel internationally? First, you go somewhere and figure it out
                      Last edited by TMares; Aug. 12, 2019, 11:19 PM.

Comment

You dont train the horse, you train yourself to get the horse more solidly and consistently on the aids.

If he is on your aids the way a third or fourth level dressage rider puts a horse on the aids, he is much less likely to be ogling things in the distance. Adjust accordingly up or down for the levels.
                        The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                        Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                        Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                        The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

some are just suspicious

We had a mare who was the herd leader, she always checked out everything to make sure it was safe (and she always thought I was lost when out on a trail as she knew where the trailer was parked but I kept riding away from it)

Really a courageous horse who felt it had a responsibility and took her job seriously

She would relax but would still be guarded... there were times that were more funny than not such as we were entering an open meadow out of tree line and step for step a deer was with us about fifty feet to the right ... we got out about twenty feet when the mare realized that wasn't her buddy over there.

Not responsible for typographical errors.

Comment

Get him binoculars. 😊
                            Frost Bite Falls

Comment

• Original Poster

Binoculars😂😂😂. I’ve contacted some of the local schooling shows left this year to see if we can go as a non-compete. He’s not the world’s worst - I haven’t even lunged at our last outings, and no drugs. But he’s an OTTSTB, and when he gets tense, he paces. Since he’s in Intro dressage or 18”/crossrails jumping, his classes are first at most shows, so there’s no time with the activity going for him to observe and settle before he competes. So, in addition to finding goats to hide in the trees at home or renting a crowd to walk around, I think going as a non-compete is our best option. We can hand walk and ride around without having to get in the ring before he can settle. No rush or agenda, thankfully.

Comment

Leg yield chevrons...that gently replaces the pace with relaxed trot or walk.

Comment

Working...
                                X