Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Backyard3
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Hay holder ideas for old men?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hay holder ideas for old men?

We just moved farms, and our two cushings horses are out in a 1 acre paddock with a run in. It's actually very similar to where they were before, except their old run in was larger, but I digress.

Anyway, here is the issue. Both are old and skinny, and will be getting hay in the winter. However, while my gelding has no issues eating hay, the other gelding quids like crazy. He also has a tendency to pee on the hay if it's on the ground. We don't really have the option of NOT giving them hay, and the vet approved of hay in their field (they do get alfalfa cubes with breakfast/dinner too).

Last year we used one hay bag, and our feeders (working boarders) would have to refill each feeding... but most just threw it on the ground. I'm not sure if we will have that same issue this year, but I'm trying to come up with an easier way to feed hay, without leaving it on the ground to be ruined by a grouchy old man. They also definitely need ore hay than that. While they're inside, this is not an issue. But during the day, or on mild nights, I need to figure something out.

Any ideas? We are getting hay huts for the other horses, but I don't think those would work for these two. I should mention - they'll be getting straight alfalfa and/or an alfalfa/orchard mix, most likely square bales. I don't mind putting hay in their run in to keep it dry, as long as it's off the ground.

One of these or similar . https://www.farmcohorsefeeders.com/h...l-bale-feeders
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

we solved it by solving another problem of keeping the miniatures out of the alfalfa, put a 100 gallon water trough in a wagon then hay is put in trough. An added advantage is cart can be moved indoors if rain (every happens). also easy to transfer from pen to pen
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20190328_085435.jpg Views:	5 Size:	9.2 KB ID:	10450862

Not responsible for typographical errors.

Comment

A friend has always fed pastured horses hay in old water troughs that have leaks.
        She feeds small bale flakes and horses rarely pull much out to waste it or use for a bathroom.
        She can move those troughs around easily to other spots or pastures.

They are troughs of different sizes, but all a size horses can reach the middle easily from any place around them, not too big, where they may fall into it while leaning over or pushed into.
        She has recycled a few of our old ones just for that.

The one Clanter uses is great, especially that it is elevated enough to keep little mischief from overeating.
        Just wonder if some bored horses may play with it and end up getting scratched on the metal?

I don't much like hay feeding systems for regular, not the rare use, like hauling, where horses have to turn their heads and pull hay out, like hanging feeders or nets.
        Horse necks are not designed for regularly eating with bent necks and pulling, but low heads straight and biting grass off.

Here is another solution from internet images, hay rack on the fence, small tub below for any that spills, so horse won't trash it:

Comment

This: http://tarterusa.com/tarter-products/equine-hay-basket

Purchased at our local co-op at a very significant discount.

Comment

I've used a plastic, 55 gallon barrel with the top cut off....it will easily hold a whole bale of hay and prevent a lot of waste. Fasten it to a wall indoors or a fence...it outdoors make sure you drill holes in the bottom of the barrel for drainage.
            www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
            Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you guys so much! We do have 2 extra troughs I could use, though they don't leak or have holes (yet). clanter That's such a great idea! And way easier to move a wagon than just dragging a trough. Definitely going to run up to the co op and look at the hay basket and bale feeder. They both are good options. Bluey I agree I don't want to use the hay nets on the regular, especially for these guys. My guy has no issues pulling hay, but I worry about the other one's teeth, and not being able to get enough. Though maybe a combo of a trough and a net would work, or something similar to what you posted.

Comment

There are ways to feed horses where they don't step on and urinate on their hay as some do, like this stalls in Europe, some large enough for multiple horses, some for individual ones.
                The bars are far apart so they can reach thru them and eat from some other outside the stall, so the hay stays untrampled.
                If you still have too much waste, you could rig something like this?

Comment

I use an old Rubbermaid water trough with extra holes drilled in bottom for drainage, and clip a hay net into the trough. You can get hay nets that easily hold a small bale of hay, and they are available with large as well as small holes. Horse eats with head down, doesn't need to pull hay with a jerk. The old fashioned rope hay nets had enormous holes! The net just prevents hay being flung out of trough and wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                    The bars are far apart
                    we had one mare who liked beer and that was her complaint that the bars were never near enough

Comment

Originally posted by clanter View Post

we had one mare who liked beer and that was her complaint that the bars were never near enough
                      Just curious, would a bar sell to a horse under the age limit?

Comment

she was actually over 21, but I often suspected she was slipping out at night

Comment

Originally posted by clanter View Post

she was actually over 21, but I often suspected she was slipping out at night
                          As an adult, of legal age, as long as she was not driving under the influence ...

Comment

If you can find one, an inside out tire with a stall mat cut to cover the hole on the bottom; install eye bolts to clip hay nets to. This tire is big enough for 2 small bales---

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't think the bars idea would work for us, but I love those stalls. But I do think you guys are on to something... clearly these boys are coming home plastered, and peeing wherever, even if it's in their hay!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I'm going to check out a couple options and see what works best for them (and my wallet!).

Comment

I'm with you - bars and horses don't mix; https://youtu.be/zVJZGPlkQ08?t=8
                                ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

As an adult, of legal age, as long as she was not driving under the influence ...
                                  well, she was broke to harness ....

Comment

30 years ago I was part of a co-op barn. We had somebody that had moved from CT to PA and was boarding with us. She had a horse that colicing regularly in CT and the BO there would give him a double shot of whiskey and it seemed to work for him. So Jag starts to colic. The problem is it is late enough the state liquor stores are closed. The only option is getting the whiskey from a bar. I could not figure out how to explain to her how to get to the closest bar so I went. The problem was I was only 20 so underage. When I explained to the bartender what I needed the whiskey for he laughed and gave it to me in a styrofoam coffee cup. He figured either the story was true or since it was the most unique tall tale he was ever told I could have the whiskey anyway.

Looking back I am actually now convinced that the horse was not actually colicing and in fact had choke. Either way the whiskey seemed to relax him enough to help whatever he had going on.

No I do not recommend giving whiskey to a horse with either choke or colic. (Remember this was 30 years ago we did stupid things back then). Heck the year before that I worked at a farm that would have the outdoor riding ring sprayed with used motor oil every year to keep the dust down.
                                    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Working...
                                    X