Sport Horse Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

How much would you pay for a warhorse OTTB still on the track?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would you pay for a warhorse OTTB still on the track?

How much would you pay?
    toying with the idea of buying a warhorse OTTB (40 plus starts, 8 years old, won $130k.)

I've never bought one right off the track. I've had them very recently letdown, lightly restarted. The contact that connected me with the trainer is someone I trust very much which is really only reason I'm considering it!

He's got great conformation, great bloodlines for racing and Dressage (my choice discipline.) I'm told that he's pretty well broke undersaddle but I won't be able to see that unfortunately. The trainer seemed very honest, obviously loves the horse very much. I even was given the number to his breeder (where he wintered during his career as well.) I have the green light to vet, have access to vet records ect. Although he's very clean legged.

He definitely needs some let down. He looks a bit muscle sore and whole he was well mannered, he definitely was a sensitive guy. I have no problem letting him down and having him restarted with a trainer.

But it is a risk. The pricing is a little high for me for a horse of his age and size on the track (he's smaller, fine for me though.) They are asking over $3k. He is a nice horse but I still feel like I'll be going into it a bit blind (other than hopefully a good PPE.)

And yes maybe it's just not for me. I just see so many nice ones restarted for $4 or $5k. They just are usually 1500 miles from me. This guy is 40 mins away!

• BasqueMom
    replied
    My Basque was a bit of a warhouse--raced for 5 years in the West. Only 21 official starts but I suspect some time on direct tracks. Awesome horse!

There is a rescue/farm called Gate to Great in South Dakota. They get war horse thoroughbred, teach them to be ranch horses, herd cattle, whatever. Most love the work and look forward to it. After a year or so, they put them for sale for
    about $7500 or more. Mostly bought by fox hunters, three-day eventers, some dressage riders.

Leave a comment:

• Lunabear1988
    replied
    Samantha37 yes my last warhorse was very clean legged and pretty sound. He had since time off and a light restart when I got him though..

I have no doubt this horse was going to very pretty clean, besides some back soreness. It really came down to temperament for me, that was the risk that I wasn't willing to take. I doubt I will look straight at the track again. I don't think that type of shopping is for me I'll buy one restarted.

Leave a comment:

• Samantha37
    replied
    I have a warhorse that when I had him vetted, was the cleanest 8 year old the vet had seen, and he had just raced about a month prior. I think he ran 83-85 times, into the beginning of his 8 year old year.

I felt pretty confident that he would hold up to dressage if he held up to racing that long.

I'd pay $3k for the right OTTB, too.

Leave a comment:

• gertie06
    replied
    Originally posted by Lunabear1988 View Post
    gertie06 That's my thought too, need to feel pretty good about the buy. I know he'll make a great horse for someone though!

Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the country from VA. I'm willing to look out of state but have to budget for shipping and right now we are having that horrible VS outbreak. So I'm only looking in state for now, hoping it dies down soon though.
    Ohhhh....you must be in Colorado, huh? That's where I lived until a year ago. Man, that VS outbreak is just so sad.

Best of luck in your search, Lunabear!

Leave a comment:

• Lunabear1988
    replied
    gertie06 That's my thought too, need to feel pretty good about the buy. I know he'll make a great horse for someone though!

Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the country from VA. I'm willing to look out of state but have to budget for shipping and right now we are having that horrible VS outbreak. So I'm only looking in state for now, hoping it dies down soon though.

Leave a comment:

• gertie06
    replied
    Oh hey! I know of a gorgeous one in VA if that's close to you. Another warhorse, already well restarted. He's $8500, but everything is negotiable! Seller is selling because she's pregnant. I would've gone to see this one myself, but I'm looking for a resale and that price point doesn't leave much margin.

Leave a comment:

• gertie06
    replied
    Originally posted by Lunabear1988 View Post
    gertie06 I think because I was already taking a risk and wasn't sure if I would need to resell him, I didn't want to overpay. He was $3500. Not saying he worth that. But it just wasn't my place to buy. They donated him to canter instead.

He was really nice but very reactive even though he had a few weeks off. He was also very reactive (cow kicking) when has back was touched at all. So ultimately, I decided too much risk for what I'm looking for.

Yes I have a few great horses trainers that are experienced with OTTBs but my budget is $6k or $7k so I'd rather keep looking at something restarted in hopes of finding the perfect match.
    I'm with you. My personal opinion is that I won't buy until I'm over the moon about one. If I'm lukewarm or nervous about one I'm looking at, I pass.

Leave a comment:

• Lunabear1988
    replied
    gertie06 I think because I was already taking a risk and wasn't sure if I would need to resell him, I didn't want to overpay. He was $3500. Not saying he worth that. But it just wasn't my place to buy. They donated him to canter instead.

He was really nice but very reactive even though he had a few weeks off. He was also very reactive (cow kicking) when has back was touched at all. So ultimately, I decided too much risk for what I'm looking for.

Yes I have a few great horses trainers that are experienced with OTTBs but my budget is $6k or $7k so I'd rather keep looking at something restarted in hopes of finding the perfect match.

Leave a comment:

• gertie06
    replied
    I, too, have recently looked at Warhorses and have learned a bit along the way. What I've heard (not seen from personal experience, but at least my sources are good) is that warhorses mentally can go one of two ways. Some are old soldiers who transition easily into their new role. They've seen it all, so they're basically unflappable. However, there's the other sort who just struggle with leaving the "go fast" mentality behind. For that reason, I passed on the warhorse I looked at, even though he was gorgeous. But then again, I'm completely risk-averse and a bit of a chicken!

What I'll say is this: I don't think $3000 is outrageous at all for what you're describing. Most of the ones I've seen go for close to that price if they have good confirmation, clean legs, and are sound.

Also, what difference would it make if he was $2000 or $2500? We're not talking about a huge amount of monetary difference. This is really more a question of if he's the right horse for your abilities and resources. Do you have a good trainer who can help you along?

Leave a comment:

• Lunabear1988
    replied
    Well thank you guys! I've decided to pass on the horse. I wasn't originally wanting to buy from the track, was just tempted by this guy. There was a few things about him that if they didn't go away once off the track, he wouldn't have been the right fit. And at the end of the day, no matter what the price, I couldn't feel comfortable with the risk. He is one hell of a horse, one of the nicest I've seen. He'll be going to Canter and will later be available for adoption after time off and a restart. I'll keep my eyes on him.

I definitely wouldn't mind another warhorse (I've owned one.) And I'm even okay with just a lightly restarted one. But after losing my young horse last year, I do feel the need to be extra safe about what I buy. I commend those that do buy off the track! I just don't think it's for me at this time. I'd rather pay $5k to $7k for something already going a bit off the track.

Leave a comment:

• Alice
    replied
    My experience has been much like the majority mentioned here. If they remain sound and sane on the track for that many years, they are probably going to be sound and sane off the track. And they seem to take to their next career very quickly.

We listed a mare was sold off the track at 10, starved and re-sold 2 months later, and the next year winning a high point 2'9" jumper while being ridden by a junior.
    All of that (the good and the bad) happened to that mare in one year. Incredible how far she has come, and terrifying how close she came to not being here anymore.

We've got another 10 year old listed right now, and he seems like a really, really neat horse. The kind you want your best friend to purchase.

This is the starved mare a year later:
    https://www.facebook.com/FinalFurlon...68171/?__xts__[0]=68.ARCr4ep0qltjlSFuHDl-2-bj7vHwdwS4xtkSA5qS4n5j3OzHnOvO2epY5iyDCbsUJI9w3M1N oADbgrsQuz9Md6TMC59fRMQP0zO72drkRMtUpUUQBUiC4M9Z9e PXkxn3XioADNmFpP5rq6Z4YTIr-m9TxXJM10oGVK3TOGoYfuvCr3-obeKQ5DZwgl-4lg396OI4-LBrbR9SNUSKpi09l8z6p3UsGHRY-Nz4iv3YxrTZQtmJ8c7MBgbCPdnDzTdK7VSoT_Qkfx83FCk-Nt208c4fVtVgqWTxEwG_vs2c45YuwnibBpXFuFtqmslJP071Cm V-4YFovB3KLuQiVqtj6CYvHNZ-CPnHVuo&__tn__=-R

Leave a comment:

• ThreeFigs
    replied
    Lunabear, I'd take him sight unseen based on what you've said about him. I bought an OTTB mare many years ago for $300. The owner liked her, but realized she was not a racehorse. In fact, she had excellent jumping pedigree -- and that's what she ended up doing. She'd only started 9 times -- the best she ever did was third place -- and that was at the racetrack in Holly, Colorado. So for sure she was no runner!

She'd been started by a cowboy at a feedlot. She'd work cattle, you could open gates from the saddle on her. She was nicely broke. I sent her for the winter to my cousin's ranch for her let down. Cousin wanted to know if I could find more of these $300 dollar horses!

The riding instructor I knew as a teenager bought a few warhorses off the track as schoolhorses. They did fine. By that age, they seemed well settled. If they can last 6 or 7 seasons at the track with no soundness issues and a sound mind, they're probably a good bet.

Leave a comment:

• Equibrit
    replied
    If you think you can't afford the price then offer less. Make a point to talk up future quality of life for this horse and dicker with the seller. I don't remember ever paying asking price.

Leave a comment:

• NancyM
    replied
    Sounds like a nice horse. Price... well... they aren't giving him away. He's worth more than that as a chuckwagon prospect, probably, even if he is a bit small. Chucks love older geldings who are proven successful racehorses with good race records and still sound, and pay well for them. The sellers will know this, and it has to come into it when deciding on his price, even though it sounds like they would rather see him go to a riding horse home. He's also worth that much as a "bush horse", that is, continuing his race career at lower class tracks until he develops soundness issues, or death. It sounds like this horse's connections are trying to avoid this end for this horse. That's nice. He's not been over raced, with 40 starts as an 8 yr old, doesn't sound like he has been abused or over raced. If he's as pleasant and easy as they say, and has some good riding and training on him already, he should be pretty easy to make the switch to a riding horse. How easy it is to make the switch is dependent on the nature of the horse, AND exactly WHO has done the riding and training on him already. Some exercise riders and trainers have great experience in disciplines other than racing, and can give a horse a good start in a secondary career just by the quality of the riding and training they have done at the track already, with much of the same basics that riding horses get. Other riders have NO experience in classical riding and training, and manhandle horses, create iron jawed bolters with poor carriage, etc. It really depends. IMO, those horses who have been well ridden, and well trained, creating correct carriage and use of the hind end, tend to stay sounder longer, have a better chance of finishing their race career as sound horses. Good luck with him! Yes, we need pictures if you decide to go ahead with the purchase.

Leave a comment:

• Equisis
    replied
    I’ve had a couple “war horse” types (over 50 starts). I vet carefully, but IME, if they’re sound and clean legged after being in hard work year after year, they have a good shot at holding up as sport horses. No horse is guaranteed soundness, but a demonstrated pattern is always a plus for me.

I did resales so I was conscious that the older a horse is, the more stock people place in temperament. I liked to watch them work, if possible. Generally, a horse that’s quiet at the track will be quiet on the farm. Sure, their job may be more ingrained than it would be for a 3yo, but they have also been around the block and been exposed to a lot of stuff. I find them to generally be good shippers, level headed, and adjustable to the horse show atmosphere (might take a couple of outings to get the idea). They are used to some chaos, and most even ride out well in groups, because they do it all the time and they’ve had a long time to learn their manners. I know you said you like them lightly restarted, but consider that he has a lot more life experience under his belt than a restarted baby.

I’m not a really big believer in “letdown” as most people apply it- the immediate pull shoes, turn out, and don’t touch them for a few months. These horses are used to having a job and so I tend to get right on and go hacking, do some flat work, hop over some logs. I think it helps the transition and then you’re not doing your first rides on a fresh, out-of-work horse. That said, I will often give them some time (a couple of weeks or more) off after we’ve established the basics, and I find the older ones tend to benefit from a longer period of downtime after the initial restart. 30-60 day restart, two months off, and they come back much better for it.

Leave a comment:

• ParadoxFarm
    replied
    ^^^ Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a great horse.

Leave a comment:

• Jealoushe
    replied
    Just adding my experience.

When I was 14, I got my first OTTB to be my next event horse. At this time they werent called OTTBs, and I had no idea what a war horse was, but he had 72 starts and was 9 when he retired. He was 17 when I got him, had a few second careers and never evented. He took me from BN to Prelim in 2 years, and evented until he was 21. He was the most amazing horse, ever. Life changing.

My second war horse I got in 2016. He retired at 7, then needed about 6-8 months to recover from the track, abcesses etc. He had 77 starts. I broke my leg after that so he had more time off, then we started eventing the following year. This horse, was just the best horse ever. He took everything in stride. Tried his heart out. Was a dream to handle, was top three in almost all his events he entered, always finished on his dressage score. He was the kind of horse you could ride with your broken leg in a cast. Never have to worry, just heppy to be around and has been there/seen everything. I lost him last year which was devastating but he forever ingrained in me how special these war horses are.

I agree with others who say if they have raced a lot and survived they are usually very sound, from my experience this is true.

Leave a comment:

• Beck
    replied
    Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Good luck seeing him today. I hope he works out for you. I would be willing to bet you could offer a slightly lower price and you both would feel fine about that. Tell them your concerns. I bet they will work with you. Once you make a decision, maybe post a pic. I would love to see him.
    Good point. The ones I have bought, they accepted my offer. And yes, we'd love to see him.

Leave a comment:

• beowulf
    replied
    Originally posted by Ajierene View Post
    My personal experience with race horses is that the ones that race a bit and come off the track are more likely to come off the track with physical issues than the ones that race longer. Those that never make it to the track are generally the most sound. My trainer has about 40 race horses and ex-race horses at a time.
    As with all things it depends.

My experience has been that the horses with more than 30 starts under their belt are sounder long-term than the horses with less than 15. This is long-term - as in 10 years down the line.

That being said, the one horse I had unraced (but race-trained - which means he had published workouts, and was under the same amount of conditioning training/stress another young horse of racing age would be) was one of the soundest horses I ever had. I do not believe it was because he didn't race. I believe it was because of his genetics; his father topped the chart several times as a sire with a high percentage of starters, and his distaff was very strong.

In the ten years I was privileged to own him before I lost him unexpectedly, he had only been out of work from an injury twice; one was a paddock injury and he strained his knee from living on a huge hill, the other was caused by a bad saddle fit I was not aware of.

However... his predecessor, my first OTTB, had 75 starts and was just as sound. That horse really spoiled me with how sound he was his entire life. I never missed a show, clinic, lesson, or rally with that horse.

Be careful of "unraced". It is a buzzword and it is misleading when it comes to sellers using it as a positive term. It should not be a positive term.

These horses have been bred for generations to race -- if a horse can't even make it to the bare minimum he was bred to do (that one start) what do you make of that?

Sometimes it's not a reflection of the horse's inherent soundness. Bad conditions during training. Really awful trimming. Being in a stall 23/7. Worked hard when they're not skeletally mature. These things will break a sound horse - but the horse that races in spite of that, well, that's a very strong horse fundamentally.

In my experience a horse that is unraced is a horse you want to vet carefully.

Unraced does not mean the horse is a clean slate. Unless the horse was unstarted in racing, that horse still has the same physiological stresses on his body that his racing barnmate has; he still breezed, worked out, was conditioned, started, etc -- so in likelyhood, still has the same physical and emotional baggage associated with a horse that made his first start.

Up until that point, the horse was very expensive to produce. Most trainers/owners don't just throw in the towel right away - and many TBs have a lackluster first few starts. There's always that hope once the horse gets a few starts under his belt, and gets the experience, that he will become more competitive. An unraced horse is not always a good thing, particularly if he was bred very well.... you have to wonder what would make the connections of a horse whose sire had a $50,000 stud fee call it quits. The race entry fees and stabling/training costs are pennies compared to how much it cost to breed, raise, and start that horse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X