Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Backyard3
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Cabins at Gettysburg. anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabins at Gettysburg. anyone?

I have been offered the chance to stay in a 6 person cabin with friends and bring my horse to ride at Gettyburg. Artillery Ridge is the campsite. The website doens't have any mention of this, but the one woman told me there is no bathroom in that cabin, but there are facilities near by. I pee about 12 x a night. ( yes i have seen many urologists and i am fine) but i am not going to be happy to trample all over the campsite to pee all the much. Have any of you stayed there and is the woman's facilities very far from the cabins? Any other tips and advice? i have not given a definite YES or NO. i just want to get my facts before i decide. Thanks.

Some of the cabins have bathrooms, some don't. The bathrooms aren't particularly far from the ones that don't but far enough to be annoying if you had to walk there multiple times a night.
    It's nice there but if you're looking for peace and quiet, it's not the place. Lots of little kids, lots and lots of tourists all packed in to a not huge space. There's also only about 8 miles of trail which I recall is walk only.
    "You'll never see yourself in the mirror with your eyes closed"

Comment

They are correct about no bathrooms in the cabins. I don’t remember how close the bathrooms were. I had friends who rented the cabin and we parked my trailer right behind them, so I peed in the trailer.

My piece of advice would be to get the “right” guide if you do a guided ride, which I highly recommend. The first year I did it, the guide was very rote and just not that great, plus he was inexperienced on horseback and not at all comfortable. The second time we got the man who owned Artillary Ridge at the time. He was a retired mounted police officer and a Civil War buff, and the tour was incredible.

If you are going during hot weather, I recommend getting up early to ride as most of the park is not shaded and you are out in the open most of the time. We did it one year where daytime temps were in the mid to high 90s and it was brutal attempting to ride after 10 a.m.

Oh, go to The Pub on the square in Gettysburg for at least one meal. The food is excellent! It is historic as well, and downtown Gettysburg is a fun place to walk and shop.

https://the-pub.com/about/our-story/
      "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

If you have a commode chair and a private corner you could swap the fluid into a bucket with a lid and make the long walk once. we have my old one in the garage at the lake and dispose of the contents at home at least until the septic is all the way in. You can even just use the bucket, I can't get up off of it without a hand though.

My family is going there shortly but I will have to take the carriage ride, I haven't got the stamina for a ride and the carriages have awnings. Forecast next week is high of 89 and some showers. We are also making a side jaunt to Hershey, dd is with us and wants genuine American souvenirs, can't get any more apple pie than Hershey chocolates.

Ive been watching the NPS tours to get my memory refreshed and have looked through DHs ancestors, he is thick with both CSA and Union soldiers but no participants at Gettysburg. Still pretty neat.
        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
        Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

If we go it would be October, so i was hoping not many kids.. but i guess being on a weekend, we will have to deal with a few. Blech. I hate loud noise and kids are usually pretty loud. IDK, still trying to decide.

Comment

• Original Poster

Update, going to give it a try. A friend i used to board with is going to meet us there from another state, so we will probably have fun. She has a camp toilet thingy, so i can use that at night in the cabin. Called and reserved a double paddock and a stall for my friend's horse in case it rains. since the older trail is closed ( i think- i was told that) would i still need to put shoes on my barefoot horse? He is pretty good barefoot, but i don't want to make him ouchy.

Comment

Barefoot horses always benefit from good hoof boots if the footing is harder or harsher than their home turf.

Other than the camp toilet, I've seen instructions for making a camp toilet out of a pail with a lid, a heavy duty garbage bag, and some kitty litter or even horse bedding shavings or pellets. Pop it out on the cabin porch if you don't want it right inside with you.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                Barefoot horses always benefit from good hoof boots if the footing is harder or harsher than their home turf.

Other than the camp toilet, I've seen instructions for making a camp toilet out of a pail with a lid, a heavy duty garbage bag, and some kitty litter or even horse bedding shavings or pellets. Pop it out on the cabin porch if you don't want it right inside with you.
                I know this, but I need to know if the trails there would need me to get shoes. I need to know about those trails, speciffically. My farrier was up yesterday and doesn't think my horse would need them there, as he has camped there. but i want to hear from those who have been there in the past year or two. I think the bucket indoors is the way to go. (or my friend's camp toilet.)

Comment

We will be there in the next two weeks and if you'll specify what trails (I don't know the area well) I can give you a description of the footing. As I recall it what got our horses ouchy was large gravel and stones regardless if dirt or paved, and we rode preferentially on the grass centers of graveled roads or off on the edge.
                  Last edited by ReSomething; Aug. 10, 2019, 10:15 PM.
                  Incredible Invisible

Comment

Before you ride the battlefield... Do visit the Gettysburg Diorama. It covers the entire course of the battle and the locations. When you're in the various areas on horse, you'll see in your mind who, what and how the battle took place. Otherwise, the fields are just pretty scenery.
                    Equus makus brokus but happy

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
                      We will be there in the next two weeks and if you'll specify what trails (I don't know the area well) I can give you a description of the footing. As I recall it what got our horses ouchy was large gravel and stones regardless if dirt or paved, and we rode preferentially on the grass centers of graveled roads or off on the edge.
                      Well i hear there are only 8 miles of trails, so i suspect we will do all of them. Maybe i will just put shoes on to be on the safe side.

Comment

Wow, are you able to ride around the battlefield? That would be very cool! I visited it once, at dusk, on a quick road trip through the area when I was living in Baltimore.

I would definitely read up on the battle beforehand. I spent a bit of time on civil war battlefields with a friend that was a bit of a military history buff. What I found was that I couldn't visualize the action from reading about it, but when I was on site, it all made sense to walk the land and see what it meant that "over this ridge came a small group of infantry who were held at bay for 2 hours by a pincer movement coming from the east" etc., all of which makes perfect sense on the ground but not in the history book .

I remember the battlefield had smooth (paved?) roads for cars, and lots of smooth turf between the markers and gravestones and statues, but I honestly can't recall what there was in terms of pedestrian paths, if there were crusher dust paths or whatnot.

I do remember it being a very haunting place, as I recall we were in Harper's Ferry for lunch, and then Gettysburg at sunset on a clear crisp winter afternoon (ran out of time and daylight). All the CW battlefields have a haunted feeling to me.

Comment

Loving the recommendation for The Pub! I went to Gettysburg College and waitressed there all 4 years. Many fun stories from that time. The Dobbin House is a nice (& historic!) place to eat, too.

DEFINITELY read up on the battle history before you go--it will deepen your experience once you're there. My sophomore year dorm had served as a battlefield hospital and has many haunted stories.

Comment

IT's rocky. I wouldn't try without shoeing your horse.

Comment

So my carriage ride was cancelled as severe weather was predicted and I found the Trostle house segment of the trail, or what I thought was the Trostle house, there are so many of them. The trail on google maps looks pretty short, if there is more I don't see it. It's graded, two track, native dirt with sparse loose native gravel to half inch and grassy except where it parallels the road and has a full layer of shale gravel, not round or angular, sort of flat stones. the map has it passing off the road but what i saw was trail on the shoulder. I checked out the crossover on Emmitsburg Rd and it is the same, graded and reseeded with pasture grass, mowed. I don't think the trail passes near the Devil's Den where it is quite rocky, big rocks that horses may or may not step around. It wasn't something I would have thrown shoes on for back in the day, or put on shoes for the pony, but I would have put on the old guy's boots as he was a tenderfoot at the best of times.

Sorry I can't be more comprehensive, it's a beautiful area to ride though, plus the history and the sheer impact of that many people in one place struggling boggles the mind.
                              Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
                                So my carriage ride was cancelled as severe weather was predicted and I found the Trostle house segment of the trail. The trail on google maps looks pretty short, if there is more I don't see it. It's graded, two track, native dirt with sparse loose native gravel to half inch and grassy except where it parallels the road and has a full layer of shale gravel, not round or angular, sort of flat stones. the map has it passing off the road but what i saw was trail on the shoulder. I checked out the crossover on Emmitsburg Rd and it is the same, graded and reseeded with pasture grass, mowed. I don't think the trail passes near the Devil's Den where it is quite rocky, big rocks that horses may or may not step around. It wasn't something I would have thrown shoes on for back in the day, or put on shoes for the pony, but I would have put on the old guy's boots as he was a tenderfoot at the best of times.

Sorry I can't be more comprehensive, it's a beautiful area to ride though, plus the history and the sheer impact of that many people in one place struggling boggles the mind.
                                Thank you. I have been asking around and i think i plan to put front shoes on my horse for that trip. The farrier is scheduled anyway, so i might as well. i might regret not doing it, but i won't regret doing it. Do you know if they sold coffee ( hot) in the store in the mornings? We wll probably go out to eat, but i know coffee will be a top priority for my cabin mates.

Comment

Working...
                                X