Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

barn1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Need help with tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't you just explain that you don't want her guests on your property and having access to your buildings and animals for safety reasons?

She rents the cottage and the yard and have her explain to her guests that is where they can go.

Comment

Is there anyway to fence off the tenant house and have like a separate drive so there is a clear definition of properties? I agree with posting signs on your part of the property for no trespass etc. Have a talk with the tenant and explain the liabilities of having her guests roaming around your part of the property and barn.

Comment

I have two questions for the OP.

1) How long has your friend been your tenant in this house?

2) How do you know the people wandering around on your farm were bona fide guests of your tenant since she wasn't with them when you saw them?

You are the only one here who knows the answers to those two questions, and really hard to move forward with ideas without knowing all the facts of the matter.
        Rack on!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
          If it's the guests doing this out of sight of the tenant, and not the tenant, and the tenant is a reasonable person, I am sure they will see the point very easily. To me this is a no-brainer, why wouldn't you just run over there and knock on the door and say something ASAP? And why wouldn't you approach the guest right when you saw them? Tell them that smoking is not allowed on the property, and that strangers/visitors aren't allowed in the horse area unless accompanied by you. Why on earth wouldn't you say this the minute you saw it?

I'm at a self board barn with a public access policy (we are a nonprofit in the suburbs) and none of us have any qualms about telling tradesmen to put out their cigarettes, or telling public that they aren't allowed in certain areas. If we can all do this as we see problems arise in a place we don't actually own (but take a lot of ownership in), why on earth can't you patrol what strangers are doing *on your own property*?

I would use the occasion to tell the person a bit about horses, why they are or aren't safe, why you can't feed them, and invite them for a tour or a (paid) riding lesson at another time.

Are you just sitting in your house watching some random guest of the tenant snooping around with a lit cigarette and wondering if you dare say something? Why weren't you out there (preferably with a yappy cattle dog at heel more or less) right away to lay down the law? How is this even a question???
          I have a tendency to overreact and was ready to tell her to pack her bags. We just had a chat about her giving a guest permission to pet my horses a few weeks ago. I was LIVID when I saw this person smoking and going in my out buildings. This is the first time I’ve been a landlord and I don’t like confrontation... I wasn’t sure how to handle it. Now I do, thanks to several helpful responses.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Rackonteur View Post
            I have two questions for the OP.

1) How long has your friend been your tenant in this house?

2) How do you know the people wandering around on your farm were bona fide guests of your tenant since she wasn't with them when you saw them?

You are the only one here who knows the answers to those two questions, and really hard to move forward with ideas without knowing all the facts of the matter.
            She’s been here for a year. I didn’t used to mind so much but I’m getting less tolerant of people being on my farm, in my way, and messing with my horses and my stuff. The person’s truck was parked outside of her house... my farm is a mile off the road... I bought this farm because it’s a mile off the road. I like my privacy.

Comment

OK, you already had a chat about this, I assume you mean you clearly stated that her guests should stay out of the horse area?

To be a landlord does not require confrontation or overreaction. It requires clear boundaries, stable understanding of what you want out of your tenants, and the ability to speak up in a businesslike way when something needs done.

I have rented my whole adult life and I have had lots of experience on the receiving end of landlords and building managers asking me to do/not do this, that and the other. They just ask in a clear business like way that makes it clear they are the ones in charge and you better not let your plants drip on the balcony below, or play your stereo loud, or whatever. It is very different from how one deals with a room-mate or a family member.

If you can't do this, you might want to reconsider being a landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                I read the OP's initial post to say that guests of the tenant were wandering out of doors without being accompanied by the tenant, maybe even while the tenant was occupied (in the shower, napping, away at work). perhaps the tenant doesn't allow smoking on her rented property? Anyhow, nothing here suggested that the *tenant* was the problem, but rather guests of the tenant that may be acting without the tenant's knowledge or permission.

I would warn off any guest I saw out of bounds at the time.

Then I would follow up with a personal chat with the tenant. It's not Ok for the guests to be wandering around the property by themselves and certainly not smoking. I had to talk to one of your guests today. Maybe you could warn them in the future this is not OK.

Then I would follow up with a brief e-mail. Just confirming what we spoke about today. Your guests should not be entering the horse property areas without me present, and they should not be smoking anywhere near the barns, property, pasture, etc for fire risks. If you could warn them in future that would solve a lot of problems.

Then I would put up some signs on the direct trail from tenant property to barns. No smoking and please do not enter the horse areas without the property owner present.

If there are no further problems, it's solved. If a particular guest is repeatedly out of bounds you will need to appraoch that guest again and speak more strongly, and you will need to have a discussion with the tenant about having that guest, or continuing with the rental.

But until you actually speak up, no one knows that you don't like it,. So you need to speak up.
                You do not seem to be a landlord.

The tenant's guests ARE the tenant's responsibility. If the landlord didn't explain the rules properly, and didn't have written guidelines, then the landlord has a responsibility to catch up asap.

A personal chat is a good thing to have, but if it isn't in writing, it didn't happen. If it didn't happen in writing, then the landlord is virtually giving tacit permission for things that could have consequences later. Regardless of what they chatted about.

This relationship is tightly circumscribed by laws and also by the considerable asset value of the property that the tenant occupies. Renting property is a complex way of managing an asset compared with other investments.It can be lucrative, but things have to be done a certain way.

If the landlord does not follow good practice, she puts her asset at risk to a myriad of legal complications.

If things escalate down the road and the landlord hasn't been taking written steps, the landlord is really behind it in the eyes of the law. If the landlord someday wishes to evict, the lack of good procedure could get deep and messy real quick (and very expensive to the landlord).

Comment

My guess is that you will be giving written notice to move soon. Just follow the state rules on appropriate notice to month-to-month tenants, or whatever is in the lease. When you have to tell someone about wandering guests messing with your animals, and then this incident happens, then it would be the end for me.

You have to decide if this is ruining your enjoyment of your property enough to tell the tenant, in writing, that it's over. If there was a one year lease, then I would give written notice that the lease will not be renewed. Hopefully, the tenant will move out on time, not leading to further issues.
                  You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

When I read the original post I assumed (I know, bad of me) that this was likely a case of a guest excusing themselves to go out for a cigarette while the tenant was busy doing something else (cooking, showering, on the phone with a relative who not take no for answer, etc) and that guest just mindlessly wandering about while they smoked. Meanwhile the tenant inside never gave it any thought that their guest would be doing anything but standing outside with their cigarette.
                    In other words, I did not make the leap that the tenant was ignoring the instructions previously given by the OP.

I think it is a good idea to remind the tenant there are rules and it is the responsibility of the tenant to make sure their guests follow them.

I also think it is smart of the OP to know that they have to take a breather before confronting people.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada10 View Post

She’s been here for a year. I didn’t used to mind so much but I’m getting less tolerant of people being on my farm, in my way, and messing with my horses and my stuff. The person’s truck was parked outside of her house... my farm is a mile off the road... I bought this farm because it’s a mile off the road. I like my privacy.
                      I would be intolerant of this too. I sympathize with you.

And assuming you don't know if this person was actually visiting your tenant, I'd be more than irritated if I were in your barn boots.

She's your friend ... can you just tell her what you told us?

Hug for good luck with this. I know it sucks.
                      Rack on!

Comment

If you have run out of patience with having a renter on the property at all then you need to tell her to move out. Once the very existence of the person is irritating you, you will get shorter and shorter with her until there is a blow up over trivia.

Neither the renter nor the renter's guests should be wandering around your part of the property, and if they can't stick to their property, they need to go.

Privacy and a tenant just don't go together. It's like having a room-mate in you apartment or a basement suite in your urban house.

Comment

I’d terminate the lease, but you’re going to have to do so under the conditions described in the lease.

Good luck!
                          Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are.

Comment

• Original Poster

I definitely need to give her something in writing. I’ve never rented, nor been a landlord before this, so it is still new to me. Does anyone have a “template” for official communication? Friendly letter? Business letter? List of rules? Her lease is up this month and I’d like to switch to a month to month lease. I don’t know how to word that either!

Comment

Google sample lease agreement and tenant rights for your state, that'll start you off.

As far as your immediate situation I have lived on shared property before and the more you can physically define the boundaries between the tenant house and the farm the clearer it will be. If the tenant and guests drive into a decent sized fenced area that you have gated off even if the gate is open all the time it is much easier to make it clear that the main farm is off limits. Short lawn signs get used a lot to designate private areas, employees only, etc on the big farms here but people still get lost or wander about and I agree with a previous poster that the guest may have excused themselves for a smoke break with the host thinking they would sit on the porch while the guest became intrigued with the animals and structures.

OP being a landlord is not something I would advise for someone who likes privacy. It's a lot of work and you have to be figuring on whether these nice quiet people are going to wind up being hoarders that have a child locked up in the basement or the loud guy with obnoxious guests is also handy and does the little repairs neatly and timely to save you trouble.

What's really wierd is that I have a tenant screening service ad on the iPad right now illustrating that point. Go figure.
                              Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                              Incredible Invisible

Comment

Being a landlord is about having boundaries, respecting boundaries, and communicating about boundaries respectfully.

”Dear tenant,
                                I noticed that one of your guests was going into the barn and fields today. Those areas are off limits to the apartment tenants and guests - could you please make sure that any guests stay in your apartment and yard? Thanks!”

Fin.

And, I absolutely **HATE** the insurance excuse. Everyone knows it’s just a cop out lie and then you look like someone who can’t set a boundary without hiding behind a bogus excuse.
                                The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

I definitely need to give her something in writing. I’ve never rented, nor been a landlord before this, so it is still new to me. Does anyone have a “template” for official communication? Friendly letter? Business letter? List of rules? Her lease is up this month and I’d like to switch to a month to month lease. I don’t know how to word that either!
                                  Please just pay a lawyer.

And if you have a short term communication need like the guest-in-the-barn situation, just communicate with your tenant like a professional, respectful human. You don’t need official legal language to ask someone to stay out of your barn.

Comment

From your prior posts, it sounds like maybe she has a boyfriend now? Which is normal, adult tenants probably would like to feel that they can have "guests" stay over whenever they want. IF she is an otherwise great tenant (pays on time, no other trouble, etc) then you want to keep her and get through this small problem. Since you have to redo your rental contract to month-to-month, this is a great time to put in writing a guest or smoking policy. Just let her know the boundaries of where guests are allowed, and that she must accompany them anywhere outside her house, driveway and fenced yard or whatever you decide. Same with smoking - do you allow smoking in her house? If not, make sure her yard is the ONLY designated smoking area, and that you expect butts to be disposed of properly, meaning you may need to get her one of those sandy smoking thingys.
                                    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                                      Being a landlord is about having boundaries, respecting boundaries, and communicating about boundaries respectfully.

”Dear tenant,
                                      I noticed that one of your guests was going into the barn and fields today. Those areas are off limits to the apartment tenants and guests - could you please make sure that any guests stay in your apartment and yard? Thanks!”

Fin.

And, I absolutely **HATE** the insurance excuse. Everyone knows it’s just a cop out lie and then you look like someone who can’t set a boundary without hiding behind a bogus excuse.
                                      Insurance concerns are not at all an excuse, what a strange idea.

Read any insurance policy covering liability.
                                      It is clear what you are agreeing to what is covered and an important part of that is very clearly explained what the coverage requires of the insured as far as how to manage anyone entering the property.
                                      Part of that IS to control uninvited visitors roaming around the premises.
                                      That applies to any possible tenant's visitors wandering around where they are not supposed to be, as here.

At least that is what our attorneys have warned us repeatedly, especially since now we have a covered arena that others may use, like 4H kids.

We are contractually bound to be proactive, who to grant access to where and to make clear where anyone on the premises is permitted to be, with barriers or signs and contracts for those that may possibly trespass, like contract workers or tenant's visitors or such.

OP, do check with your insurance agent where you stand.
                                      They know what is in your insurance policy and may, along with your attorney, know what your obligations are to be in compliance with said contract.
                                      I would not be surprised if to insure your tenant's or any other possible visitors don't roam at will is one of those.
                                      Last edited by Bluey; Aug. 6, 2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post

Insurance concerns are not at all an excuse, what a strange idea.

Read any insurance policy covering liability.
                                        It is clear what you are agreeing to what is covered and an important part of that is very clearly explained what the coverage requires of the insured as far as how to manage anyone entering the property.
                                        Part of that IS to control uninvited visitors roaming around the premises.
                                        That applies to any possible tenant's visitors wandering around where they are not supposed to be, as here.

At least that is what our attorneys have warned us repeatedly, especially since now we have a covered arena that others may use, like 4H kids.

We are contractually bound to be proactive, who to grant access to where and to make clear where anyone on the premises is permitted to be, with barriers or signs and contracts for those that may possibly trespass, like contract workers or tenant's visitors or such.

OP, do check with your insurance agent where you stand.
                                        They know what is in your insurance policy and may, along with your attorney, know what your obligations are to be in compliance with said contract.
                                        I would not be surprised if to insure your tenant's or any other possible visitors don't roam at will is one of those.
                                        Your own post where you suggested this started of with "IF YOU NEED AN EXCUSE..."

Either way, passing it off as an insurance concern just makes you look indirect and like you're making an excuse. The tenant doesn't give a sh*t what your arrangement with your insurance carrier is. It's none of their concern.

The tenant doesnt need to be convinced you have a legitimate reason - if you dont want them walking on a patch of grass because you believe the soul of your deceased parakeet perches there on the odd Sunday then all the tenant needs to know is "Also, that patch of grass there is off limits."

Tell the tenant what your expectations are without any unnecessary side fluff and set the boundaries like a professional who doesn't need to make excuses.

Comment

You can still have a written and signed lease (by both parties), for month-to-month tenants. It outlines rent, due dates, late penalties, who pays what utilities, what the tenant has access to. You also need a notice period to end the lease. (a note, end of rental payments are when everything is gone from the property, not when the tenant leaves).

Have the rules that will be enforced, including smoking, guests, pets, and that if they try to move a roommate in, they have to get your approval, and put the person on the lease. You also need pictures of move in condition, and move out condition. If there is a security deposit, then on move out there is usually a state law on how long you have to notify the former tenant of issues that you are deducting from the security. It has to be in writing, and sent in a state specified time limit.
                                          You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Working...
                                          X