Stallion Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

46thlane19
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Need help with tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with tenant

We have a detached house on our farm that is currently rented by a friend of mine. Recently, her guests have been petting/feeding my horses and wandering the property (without my tenant accompanying them). Yesterday, one went for a walk around the farm, smoking, and looking in the outbuildings. It made me really uncomfortable. Am I being a jerk for not wanting her guests anywhere on my farm other than in her house? She’s renting the cabin, not the farm, and I feel like it’s a massive invasion of privacy when someone walks into my barn uninvited... really no different than if they walked into my house. These people are driving me nuts and defeating the whole purpose of buying a farm off the beaten path.

How do I handle this without causing friction? Do I need to get over it if I’m going to have a tenant? I don’t mind if she has friends over but they need to stay in her house.

Could you fence around that cabin, even if just with something that is unobtrusive, but definitely shows where they can walk and not trespass on the rest of the property where they are understandably bugging you?

Even a small little wood fence around that cabin would do it.

Then, remember, communicate your requirements.
    Tell your tenant where you want them and where you don't.
    Then hold them to it.
    If you need an excuse, tell them your insurance may not be happy if someone, uninvited and unaccompanied by you, is wandering around.
    For her to be sure that her visitors don't do that again.

They can't read your mind, tell them.
    Make it clear, no discussion, just the facts of life in your place.
    Some people, as you are seeing, have a different idea of boundaries than others.

Comment

I would just set some boundaries about what's public v private. I imagine the guests assume the property is fair game and people are stupid about smoking near hay.
      http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Is there a patio/deck/porch or even some chairs on the lawn at her house? I mean, it's ridiculous to expect a tenant and their guests to ONLY stay inside all the time but it is also certainly appropriate that there be expectations that wandering about the property is not ok. Just set some boundaries with her about where she/guests are allowed outside and stress that privacy is important to you and wandering around the farm is not ok.

While you're at it, unless you/she are smokers, I'd tell her flat out that the farm is a no smoking zone due to fire risk. If someone in residence is already a smoker, then I'd tell her smokers have to stay in a specific designated area.

Comment

• Original Poster

There’s a back patio, a fenced in yard for her dog, and a front porch... I’m not saying stay inside. Just stay out of my barn/buildings/pastures.

No, I’m not a smoker, and neither is she. I HATE smoking, and we are currently in a drought. My tenant is great. But giving permission to other people to enjoy my farm and my horses as if it’s her own is not ok.

Comment

Are you sure she gave them permission? Her guests may have just assumed it was okay.

So, first this needs to be in writing, and second, she needs to control her guests.

"Hi Susie! I noticed something the other day and I just want to make sure we're all on the same page. I'm not sure if you're aware, but one of your guests was wandering around the other day and smoking near the hay. Besides the privacy concerns, that's a big liability for me and my insurance agent would have a heart attack. Can you please make sure your guests stay on your property in the future? I've updated The Rules to be clearer, here is a copy. I love having you here and I don't want this to be weird, so if you have any questions or there is something you think should be changed, let's talk about it!"

--
            Wendy
            ... and Patrick

Comment

Bluey nailed it, fence and posted signs Private Property - No Guests, No visitors beyond this point. I think you have to include the Guests and Visitors in the wording.

Comment

Put up "no smoking" and "private property no trespassing" signs around the barn -- an DO talk to your friend/tenant, too!

Comment

Two questions:

1. Have you been a landlord before? If not, I suggest that you learn a little bit about that business. Housing law is a very well-developed section of it, so if you learn a bit you'll discover just what you can and cannot do, or how to set and enforce terms with a tenant.

That said, I think this can be handled with some friendly-but-boundary-setting conversation with your good tenant.

2. Have you told your tenant which areas she and/or her guest can visit and which are off limits? Have you issues a smoking policy?

Chances are, the tenant didn't know that she was doing wrong by having smoking guests on your farm. Tell her and see if that doesn't solve that problem. And I'm sure she didn't predict that they'd start snooping around your outbuildings. Go talk to her and tell her about the stuff that happened that you don't like. I'll bet she apologizes and tells you that it won't happen again. You have to remember that horses are an "attractive nuisance"-- people will go pet them or feed them treats or whatever unless they are explicitly told not to (and then, they'll still try).

So you have to Use Your Words. If you didn't make it expressly clear that there is no smoking on your farm (if that's what you want.... or, better: designate an outdoor spot that folks can do that); that some areas are off-limits, and that she's responsible for letting her guests know how You don't have to fly off the handle and fire your tenant over this, unless you want to. I am a landlord. I wouldn't want to fire a good tenant, have a worse tenant or no tenant at all and no money from the cabin I paid for! Good luck.
                  The armchair saddler
                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by wsmoak View Post
                    Are you sure she gave them permission? Her guests may have just assumed it was okay.

So, first this needs to be in writing, and second, she needs to control her guests.

"Hi Susie! I noticed something the other day and I just want to make sure we're all on the same page. I'm not sure if you're aware, but one of your guests was wandering around the other day and smoking near the hay. Besides the privacy concerns, that's a big liability for me and my insurance agent would have a heart attack. Can you please make sure your guests stay on your property in the future? I've updated The Rules to be clearer, here is a copy. I love having you here and I don't want this to be weird, so if you have any questions or there is something you think should be changed, let's talk about it!"
                    From your post, and not knowing the entire situation...this sounds quite innocent to me. It sounds like her guests were enjoying the scenery, and completely unaware that they were doing anything dangerous, wrong or obtrusive.

That said, I absolutely understand how you feel about the breach of your privacy, lack of common courtesy and potential liability. It’s also probably annoying to have to explain things that seem completely obvious to you.

I think a chat with your friend about your concerns is the way to go, as well as putting things in writing. An open dialogue with your friend, will help her to understand your position and keep things friendly between the two of you.

I think that putting up signs etc. (even ones necessary for insurance) without an explanation first, could make things get weird really fast.

Good luck!

Comment

Does your lease have a guest clause in it? Every time I’ve subletted from someone, there was a section about how long my guests could stay, etc. You need to add that in there if it’s not already and clearly outline how often they can stay and where they are and aren’t allowed on the property.

Comment

Time for a meeting with your tenant ... include your insurance agent or lawyer or an appropriate third person ...

the meeting’s agreements will need to be put in writing
                        signed by both tenant and owner

No Smoking !

The tenant is responsible for her guests and where / what they do
                        They are not allowed to wander into your areas/ barn...

This situation can get very HORRIBLE quickly !

Please don’t let this go .... needs to be addressed this week !

Be smart Be Safe !!!

* Get this all in writing and as an amendment to the lease document•

Yes .... no one meant any harm nor tht what they were doing was a hazard .....
                        however
                        this situation needs to be clarified and boundaries documented as part of the lease agreement before there is a mistake/accident • IMHO

Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

If it's the guests doing this out of sight of the tenant, and not the tenant, and the tenant is a reasonable person, I am sure they will see the point very easily. To me this is a no-brainer, why wouldn't you just run over there and knock on the door and say something ASAP? And why wouldn't you approach the guest right when you saw them? Tell them that smoking is not allowed on the property, and that strangers/visitors aren't allowed in the horse area unless accompanied by you. Why on earth wouldn't you say this the minute you saw it?

I'm at a self board barn with a public access policy (we are a nonprofit in the suburbs) and none of us have any qualms about telling tradesmen to put out their cigarettes, or telling public that they aren't allowed in certain areas. If we can all do this as we see problems arise in a place we don't actually own (but take a lot of ownership in), why on earth can't you patrol what strangers are doing *on your own property*?

I would use the occasion to tell the person a bit about horses, why they are or aren't safe, why you can't feed them, and invite them for a tour or a (paid) riding lesson at another time.

Are you just sitting in your house watching some random guest of the tenant snooping around with a lit cigarette and wondering if you dare say something? Why weren't you out there (preferably with a yappy cattle dog at heel more or less) right away to lay down the law? How is this even a question???

Comment

I would TALK to them...politely and set the rules....some people don't understand manners and behavior on a horse farm....they think it is like a park or zoo with free roaming!
                            www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                            Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

If no one actually told the guest they couldn't wander around the farm, of course they are going to do so. The guest has no idea what the tenant actually rents or what the arrangement is. if there isn't a clear demarcation, like a 6 foot fence or prickly hedge with a locked gate in it, restless guests are going to go exploring just like a small child would. Why wouldn't they? Use your words.

Comment

Friend? I see warning flags of many kinds sprouting.

First, as posters said above, don't let this go, however you handle it. If you don't set boundaries now it will be far more difficult to do so later, after there have been more transgressions.

Second, do it all IN WRITING, and file it for posterity. Email is fine. However friendly your tone, be specific about what you want. This is for legal reasons as well as for clarity.

As has been pointed out by others above, this is a formal legal and business relationship regardless of how friendly you are with the tenant. Getting it in writing is for *your* protection even more than hers. You must be able to show that you spelled out the boundaries, or else those boundaries don't exist and you can't expect to enforce them.

Because there is more coming. Everything you described is the kind of thing that isn't going in a good direction. What you saw may just be poor judgment in action, or it may be something that could become more sinister (farm locations have lots of hidey holes, among other things). Your friend may or may not have known what those people were doing, but either way, they aren't the kind of people you want on the property and she probably has little or no control over them. But they will be back visiting her again.

It is very, very, very, very, very hard to be in a landlord relationship with a friend (or family member). Yes, it is going to test the relationship. Yes, it could end it. That's the biggest reason that I do not rent to friends/family - I want to preserve those relationships, and I don't want any awkward situations to spill over onto other relationships as well. If everything goes perfectly it will be fine. But that isn't realistic. If the tenant doesn't pay or if the landlord doesn't do repairs, etc. & so on, it is so much stickier than with an arms-length, business relationship between tenant and landlord.

You can be nice about it, but nonetheless be very clear that you and your friend are first and foremost landlord & tenant so long as she is living on your property. That's what you both signed up for. As advised by others above, do this thing correctly and legally every step, every day, even if with a cheerful, friendly tone.

If this is a situation where she may be thinking that she can take advantage, you are in a sticky situation unless you set the landlord-tenant boundaries and stick to them. Every day. It could come to that -- hopefully that isn't what is going on.

I hope my trouble-radar suspicions are wrong and this settles down comfortably for you both.

Comment

Originally posted by wsmoak View Post

This is very nicely done.

I probably wouldn't include "I love having you here and I don't want this to be weird." Just straight on to "If you have any questions ... "

You don't want to send a signal that could be misinterpreted that you are going to keep her there regardless of what she does. You aren't. Because the truth is that if certain things occur (including her not paying, etc.) that mean that eventually this doesn't work out for you, there may be awkwardness to come. Hopefully it doesn't go that way. But don't send mixed messages.

Attaching a copy of The Rules is excellent. If you haven't lined those out before, you can say "I don't think I remembered to send you a copy of The Rules, so apologies for my oversight! I've attached them below." Even if you just invented them!

Going forward, manage your tone with your friend to be that of a cheerful landlord, rather than as a friend. As I said above, being in a landlord-tenant relationship with a friend means that the two of you are landlord-tenant first, then friendly. Yes, it changes your relationship. It is so much easier to pass through that portal now than to try to do it later.

Remember this, if if helps: Your tenant is living inside of one of your most significant financial assets. How important is that piece of your property to you, both personally and financially? Put your own interests first and then you can be as kind as you can afford to be. But always be very, very clear in your own mind that this asset is a huge part of both your current and your future financial picture. Defend it as necessary.

You can do this! And you and your friend will both be in a better situation as a result, because you'll be backing up the authority she needs to have with her visitors.

Comment

Everything between landlord and tenant needs to be written down, and signed by both parties to be enforceable. If you tell your tenant that there is no smoking off the patio or some other hard surface, and limit where tenant, and guests can wander, do it in writing. If the tenant refuses to sign, or gets upset and moves out, then that's better than having something set on fire by one of her visitors, or have one of them get hurt on your property. I'm hoping you have a written lease, but if not do one now, and get it signed immediately.

Being a landlord means you have to do things the legal way, with written and signed contracts, and no breaks for anyone because they're a friend, or they give you a sad story, or because you don't want them to get mad at you. This is a business relationship, so run it like one.
                                    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

I read the OP's initial post to say that guests of the tenant were wandering out of doors without being accompanied by the tenant, maybe even while the tenant was occupied (in the shower, napping, away at work). perhaps the tenant doesn't allow smoking on her rented property? Anyhow, nothing here suggested that the *tenant* was the problem, but rather guests of the tenant that may be acting without the tenant's knowledge or permission.

I would warn off any guest I saw out of bounds at the time.

Then I would follow up with a personal chat with the tenant. It's not Ok for the guests to be wandering around the property by themselves and certainly not smoking. I had to talk to one of your guests today. Maybe you could warn them in the future this is not OK.

Then I would follow up with a brief e-mail. Just confirming what we spoke about today. Your guests should not be entering the horse property areas without me present, and they should not be smoking anywhere near the barns, property, pasture, etc for fire risks. If you could warn them in future that would solve a lot of problems.

Then I would put up some signs on the direct trail from tenant property to barns. No smoking and please do not enter the horse areas without the property owner present.

If there are no further problems, it's solved. If a particular guest is repeatedly out of bounds you will need to appraoch that guest again and speak more strongly, and you will need to have a discussion with the tenant about having that guest, or continuing with the rental.

But until you actually speak up, no one knows that you don't like it,. So you need to speak up.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                                        If no one actually told the guest they couldn't wander around the farm, of course they are going to do so. The guest has no idea what the tenant actually rents or what the arrangement is. if there isn't a clear demarcation, like a 6 foot fence or prickly hedge with a locked gate in it, restless guests are going to go exploring...
                                        This makes sense. It the actual tenant casually describes their living conditions as "I live on a horse farm" - and who wouldn't? - it might give the impression the whole property is open to her/her guests. Also the tenant being a friend of the property owner might add to the guests getting the impression of a fairly casual air to the whole arrangement. Some friendly clarification is in order: along the lines of some of the very good suggestions already made in this thread.

No matter where you go, there you are

Comment

Working...
                                        X