Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

DSC_0001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Thief at the Barn.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by BlueDrifter View Post
    So the BM has seen the spurs on the PUS? But you saw them on someone else -- whom the BO said wasn't the culprit?

Sounds like you have a good attitude about the drama of it all, lol.
    Cognitive bias unfortunately, the someone else has only been at the barn for a few weeks, so I was ready to believe it was them as I haven’t had anything else go missing for the years I’ve been there, although thinking about it there are some things I thought I’d misplaced. I’m considering the spurs irretrievable, and have bought some others.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicky View Post
      Many years ago I got a branding iron with my last name on it, and branded (lightly) every piece of leather and nylon I owned. Worked fine, except when I want to donate or sell something, it will always have my name on it.

Doesn't work for spurs or irons, though!
      I love that idea! I saw a leather stamp on pinterest one time and thought that would be easy enough (easier than branding at least)

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
        Has anyone used one of those leather or woodburning pens to mark up their tack? I remember these used to be sold as crafts items for teens in the 1970s when leather art was a thing. Never had or tried one.
        Yes, my father used a chisel-tipped woodburning tool to mark the bottom of the saddle, hidden in the channel between the two back panels. Worked great. Except.... this was a long time ago, long before identify theft was a thing, so he marked it with..... my social security # And it was a high quality Crosby, so unless someone ruined it, my social security number may still be circulating the amateur H/J rings in NJ

Comment

Originally posted by HungarianHippo View Post

Yes, my father used a chisel-tipped woodburning tool to mark the bottom of the saddle, hidden in the channel between the two back panels. Worked great. Except.... this was a long time ago, long before identify theft was a thing, so he marked it with..... my social security # And it was a high quality Crosby, so unless someone ruined it, my social security number may still be circulating the amateur H/J rings in NJ
          We had a rash of barn thefts back in the 80s, and the local police set up a day where they'd etch all your metal (bits, stirrups, etc) and brand all your leather. They were using social security numbers, too. Insane.

I bought a zippo lighter brand dohicky around that time. You could fit two initials in it, fire up the zippo to heat the initials, and brand your own leather. Did not have much stuff go on walk about when I did that.

Nylon halters -- same deal. Just heat up a nail and lay it across the cheek piece 3x, and you have an identifiable mark you have made. If someone protests that's just a "chance" mark, show them that you have similar marks on your OTHER nylon stuff. (Dog collar, spare halter, etc.) Initials make it easier for barn mates to identify (and return lost stuff to you), but any mark you purposefully make will be enough for you to I.D. your own stuff.
          -- Member of the COTH Appendix QH clique and the dressage-saddle-thigh-block-hating clique.

Comment

A friend of mine once told me "Once you have your horses at home, you'll never, ever want to board again, even with all the work that comes with having them at home" and she was so, so right!

Comment

Originally posted by Renn/aissance View Post
              OP, if I were your barn owner, I would want to know that my daughter were absconding with the private property of my boarders... that's a great way to lose business.
              I'd take an uninformed guess that the news would not be a surprise to the mother/BO.

And I would not be surprised if the BO were to defend her daughter at the expense of barn business. Unfortunately for the girl.

I think you are taking a wise tack, OP, in your own best interests.

Comment

Originally posted by ecileh View Post
                I board at a pony farm, which means lots of kids around who are used to thinking that any and everything is up for grabs to use because the BO provides brushes, fly spray, etc... I used to put my fly spray away in my trunk to avoid "accidental use" by the lesson program, but then the barn workers would meet me at the door every time I came, worried that I was out of fly spray and convinced that my mare was going to be eaten alive. It got old.

I compromised by leaving the cheap-o spray on her stall door and locking up the good stuff.

The only thing I have ever had deliberately stolen was a neck cover from a rain sheet. Someone detached it from my sheet and made off with it. I never did find it and I'm still baffled by the size of whomever's balls. At the time, my mare was the biggest horse on the property--someone has a neck cover that will double as a quarter sheet.
                Back in the day when WBs weren't so common, I had a huge long- backed Appy. He hated dressage, but as an eventer, I wanted/needed some real show practice. Besides, at a dressage show, unlike in eventing dressage, I could carry my whip. I had a lovely, brand new Baker blanket for him, an 84. Believe me, there were few horses around then that wore that big a blanket. It was stolen at the show. I had never before and never since had that happen. I always wondered how they felt when they put it on their horse. Unless they owned a draft, it would have been too big, by a lot, for most horses.

Comment

At the very least if someone needs to use one of your items and you aren't around, he or she should leave a note indicating that they have it. And they should return it in the same or better condition. I'm glad I keep my horses at home. I would be really pissed off if someone took something of mine and did not return it.

Comment

When I had my horse, I was only at a public stable twice. (Had my horse for 29 years.) She was at friends when we put her down, and she is buried out there. BO and I are friends from way back, so I left my stuff there as I really do not have anywhere to keep my saddle. Well, somehow, my girth and saddle pad went missing. I was pretty irritated but since I didn't have a horse anymore, I let it go. But I did bring everything else home. That was 10-12 years ago. I went out to see her late last winter, and there was my girth lying across her sofa! I didn't say much about it and she offered no explanation. She has health problems and hasn't ridden for 15 years. But there were others that would come out to ride in the ensuing years. Still haven't found my saddle pad...
                    Another killer of threads

Comment

Working...
                    X