Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

Hart_Barn 1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas A&M DNA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas A&M DNA

does anyone here have any info on these DNA tests from Texas A&M? from what i got from the link https://vetmed.tamu.edu/animalgenetics/horse-ancestry/
    they are grouped based on how closely related the breeds are and whatever your horse tested for could be any horse in the group with the breed that came back?? i did get my mare tested with this and i do have the results

I'm curious what folks have to say about this. I know the breeding of my mare, but I wanted to try this just for fun and it could not have been further off. The breeds they matched her to weren't even in the high level cluster of breeds. None of them.

Comment

• Original Poster

thats why im so unsure lol and hope more people can comment with their results/opinions. how many breeds does your mare have in her? they dont even have appaloosa included in the list, which upsets me and i am 99% sure my mare has a very large amount of appaloosa in her.

Comment

She has three breeds in her (all European), and three breeds came back are all North or South American. She is also pinto and the three breeds that came back have no pinto genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by evilc123 View Post
          She has three breeds in her (all European), and three breeds came back are all North or South American. She is also pinto and the three breeds that came back have no pinto genetics.
          Pinto is a colour, not a breed. Just about any breed can be registered as one. White patterns can be found in most breeds too, often as a random mutation with one individual.

As for the tests, I believe there have been discussions here about them before and if I recall correctly, the results were not very accurate for the most part.
          ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

Comment

I had a friend who did the testing even tho she already knew her horse's breeding. He was an appendix AQHA so TB/QH. Results came back draft, I can't remember for sure but I think Percheron and Shetland pony as the dominant breeds. Not even close plus how the hell would you get a draft/Shetland pony cross? I guess it would be possible to build a ramp for a Shetland stallion to breed a draft mare but it seems highly unlikely anyone would do that.

Comment

OP just noticed where you posted this. You might get more responses if you ask Moderator 1 to move it to off course.
              ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

Comment

A friend sent a DNA sample to TAMU for a short, stocky pinto horse she acquired. The results came back Holsteiner, Hanoverian, and Selle Francais as the top 3 breeds. Right off the bat, I found it very odd the lab could supposedly differentiate between three open book registries that share breeding stock, let alone the fact that the mare showed no warmblood traits.

A few months later she put the horse up for sale on FB and the mare's breeder happened to see the ad. She was registered APHA, no warmblood breeding whatsoever. Breeder still had her papers and everything and actually ended up buying her back.
                Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I used TAMU to test my mare who came from the kill pen. She's my profile picture. When I went to look at her and put her on the lunge I thought, "This ain't no QH". She came back Holsteiner, Hanoverian but reading your above comments makes me wonder. Huh.

Comment

Bumped after a move to Off Course.

Comment

I know a few people who have had them done and come back with some pretty unlikely results.... obviously stock-type horses coming back with things like Lipizzaner and Selle Francais. Breeds are so intermingled and so many still don't have closed books or only closed them within a few generations. I don't think there's enough distinction between them to really come up with accurate results.
                      Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X