Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

104 Sparks Lane BR
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Running out of options. Can't afford this anymore.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running out of options. Can't afford this anymore.

Altered because I am a coward.

Rant I guess...I am in a corner and can't see any way out. Everything seems to be happening at once and I am in a massive rut.

First off I am losing my job at the end of next week. I have no other position lined up yet and am going to run through my money fast if I can't get anything this week.

The field I am (barely) in has opportunities, but none in my area. I graduated last year and my plan was to do a care lease with my mare, then move to an area with open positions and hopefully get her back eventually. I have enough savings that I could likely support myself until I had a job, or even multiple jobs if necessary.

At that point mare suffered a (relatively minor) soft tissue injury, and off went my hopes of finally moving out and making my own life. Now she is recovered, but not completely rehabbed. We just started canter work.

On top of this we have to move out of the current boarding barn by mid-August, with nowhere to go. We have been at most of the less expensive places around and I can't afford the other barns or find anything else I can afford. Mare does live outside much better than stalled, but I can't find any other field board opportunities at decent places (where they actually feed and water the horses) either.

I have no idea what to do. Quite honestly I just can't afford a horse -- or at least the full cost of a horse -- at this stage in my life. Everything I make is going towards her upkeep and care, and I don't know how I can get out from under this so that I can begin my own life/career. I feel idiotic trying to lease out a younger horse that still isn't completely back in shape, whether it's a full lease or part. Is that even done?
    And as much as it kills me to think about selling I know I couldn't anyway right now. I'm lost...
    Last edited by Carelessly hAltered; Jul. 27, 2019, 06:05 PM.

Put her on a nice pasture in deep country for the summer and fall, somewhere no more than $200 a month. Good for her rehab. Good for your wallet. Good to let you do a job search. Re evaluate in October and lease, sell, or bring her into a barn in whatever town you are living in by then.

Comment

Hugs to you, so sorry you are going through this. Good that you know you need to make a change and can admit it. You might have to sell your horse. If you can do a lease, do it. Sometimes you might have a friend looking for a good prospect, that is how I found my great mare ( not a prospect, but just ideal to get a horse from someone you trust). Many times these things can work out and so,ething good will come up, maybe not what you wanted, but best for the horse. Good thoughts your way, I know this must be very hard but you need to get this horse off your payroll and get your own situation resolved. Again, hugs.

Comment

Can you move in with family to minimize your expenses? Can you waitress or do other quick money jobs while you job hunt? Don’t neglect your horse when money is tight. It isn’t her fault that you are between jobs. There is usually a way to be frugal and get through a temporary situation.

Comment

I think you're being very honest and admitting that you really can't afford a horse right now. Even if you toss her out in a cheap field board situation, you are still on the hook for farrier, vet, and perish the thought, emergency vet bills if she gets hurt.

The very beginning of your career with unstable employment is a tough time. Discretionary spending needs to be cut so that you don't end up under a mountain of debt.

Selling her and getting out from under the risk is probably the best thing and will relieve a lot of stress. If you have a reputable rescue in your area, ask them for advice. Maybe they have someone looking to adopt and can help make a match.
          --
          Wendy
          ... and Patrick

Comment

I’m sorry you are going through this. If you have to rehome her I’d get in touch with a local Pony Club to see if they have any kids who would be a match. Most of those kids (at least in my area) have their own farms and are quite savvy about rehab, care and training. In other words they are the type of buyer/lessor who can bring a horse back from injury slowly and correctly if they feel they will end up with a quality mount if they put in the time. A talented horse with some quirks/maintenance/issues is often right up their alley. Good luck!!

Comment

I'm sorry you are in this position. A lot of stuff is outside of your control right now but try to focus on the things that you can control.

Starting next Friday you have the opportunity to pursue any number of creative income opportunities. Things like babysitting, Rover for dogwalking, Fiverr or other remote platforms for contract work, Uber or Lift, food industry, and any other opportunity that has a relatively low barrier to entry and flexible schedule. I'm not sure if you are an AA but you could toss that status for a bit and pick up exercise rides. You are one year post graduation so don't be afraid to take a position in a semi-related field. It is not uncommon that people pivot temporarily or even permanently because of opportunities that arise.

The pony is probably not a candidate for lease at the moment but a big pasture will not do any harm. Start hunting craigslist, facebook, local listings, feed stores, etc. for backyard situations. All she needs is forage, water, safe fencing, and access to shelter. Everything else is a bit negotiable while you get life figured out. Perhaps you can work out dropping feed in the morning or doing a farm maintenance shift for an aging BO to further offset expenses.

Are you living with family? If not, is that an option? If you have a spare room, could you open it up for Air BnB?

Losing insurance can be a really PITA. Do you have any pressing medical things you could squeeze in this week? I mentioned exercise riding above but it may not be in your best interest to take on opportunities with an above average risk of injury while you are un or under insured.

Do you have any college textbooks or even clothes laying around that you could sell? If you are still in a college town, there may be temp jobs with helping students move in.

Life is going to be tough for a while but you are tougher. Don't be afraid to look into local resources in your community. In nearly every community there are nonprofits eager to help with job placement, temporary housing, other relevant aid.

Comment

I'm so sorry, life's rough patches can really feel like the end of the world.

First, breathe. (and ((Hugs)) from Element)

As others have said:
                Can you move in with family or a friend?
                Do you have horse friends (even out of state) that would let you do super cheap pasture board?
                Can you waitress or work retail or at a gas station temporarily while you're looking at options?
                Can you trade in the vehicle for something with a smaller monthly payment?

Without knowing your field of work, or area of country, it's hard to know what to recommend, but is there any reason you can't pick up and move tomorrow? Where are there available jobs in your chosen career field? Bonus if one of those areas is a climate you like and has more affordable options for horse keeping.

Since it sounds like the mare isn't really marketable right now (still rehabbing), a paid lease or sale might be difficult. Perhaps you can find someone willing to free-lease her, with the understanding that they have to adhere to the rehab protocols. Otherwise, you might be able to sell her, or give her to a horsey friend.

Do you have any "Stuff" you can sell? Old tack you don't use, furniture, brand-name clothing, etc. Lots of little monies can add up. Plus, it reduces the collection so if/when you move, it's easier and cheaper.

I too have been in the 'struggling young adult' stage, where I worried about how I was going to pay for board or car every month, and I never answered the phone because it was usually creditors calling. Decades later, I have several horses, a farm of my own, and DH and I are both securely employed. But I had to move around the country several times to get to this point, and while there were tough times for sure, I'm in a much better place financially than I was. Though I still have debts, I very carefully budget. That is something I recommend if you don't already--a simple excel spreadsheet and account for every recurring expense, every starbucks coffee, every amazon purchase, etc. You might be surprised that you're losing more money than you expect with little "one time" expenditures that you can actually do without. I know I was.

and, closing with some encouragement. You CAN do this!
                A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ElementFarm View Post
                  I'm so sorry, life's rough patches can really feel like the end of the world.

First, breathe. (and ((Hugs)) from Element)

As others have said:
                  Can you move in with family or a friend?
                  Do you have horse friends (even out of state) that would let you do super cheap pasture board?
                  Can you waitress or work retail or at a gas station temporarily while you're looking at options?
                  Can you trade in the vehicle for something with a smaller monthly payment?

Without knowing your field of work, or area of country, it's hard to know what to recommend, but is there any reason you can't pick up and move tomorrow? Where are there available jobs in your chosen career field? Bonus if one of those areas is a climate you like and has more affordable options for horse keeping.

Since it sounds like the mare isn't really marketable right now (still rehabbing), a paid lease or sale might be difficult. Perhaps you can find someone willing to free-lease her, with the understanding that they have to adhere to the rehab protocols. Otherwise, you might be able to sell her, or give her to a horsey friend.

Do you have any "Stuff" you can sell? Old tack you don't use, furniture, brand-name clothing, etc. Lots of little monies can add up. Plus, it reduces the collection so if/when you move, it's easier and cheaper.

I too have been in the 'struggling young adult' stage, where I worried about how I was going to pay for board or car every month, and I never answered the phone because it was usually creditors calling. Decades later, I have several horses, a farm of my own, and DH and I are both securely employed. But I had to move around the country several times to get to this point, and while there were tough times for sure, I'm in a much better place financially than I was. Though I still have debts, I very carefully budget. That is something I recommend if you don't already--a simple excel spreadsheet and account for every recurring expense, every starbucks coffee, every amazon purchase, etc. You might be surprised that you're losing more money than you expect with little "one time" expenditures that you can actually do without. I know I was.

and, closing with some encouragement. You CAN do this!
                  Lovely post and true!

Hang in there OP. Take some deep breaths. You can do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                    Put her on a nice pasture in deep country for the summer and fall, somewhere no more than $200 a month. Good for her rehab. Good for your wallet. Good to let you do a job search. Re evaluate in October and lease, sell, or bring her into a barn in whatever town you are living in by then.
                    I live in an area that would be considered semi-rural and this place simply does not exist. There is no one that would board my horse for $200/month, anywhere. So, this may not be a realistic option.

OP I don't know why you would feel idiotic trying to lease out a horse that isn't ready - but I understand that you may not have many takers.

Is a sale entirely unlikely? Can you price her low and try to sell?

Comment

Originally posted by Carelessly hAltered View Post
                      Altered because I am a coward.

Rant I guess...I am in a corner and can't see any way out. Everything seems to be happening at once and I am in a massive rut.

First off I am losing my job at the end of next week. I have no other position lined up yet and am going to run through my money fast if I can't get anything this week.

The field I am (barely) in has opportunities, but none in my area. I graduated last year and my plan was to do a care lease with my mare, then move to an area with open positions and hopefully get her back eventually. I have enough savings that I could likely support myself until I had a job, or even multiple jobs if necessary.

At that point mare suffered a (relatively minor) soft tissue injury, and off went my hopes of finally moving out and making my own life. Now she is recovered, but not completely rehabbed. We just started canter work.

On top of this we have to move out of the current boarding barn by mid-August, with nowhere to go. We have been at most of the less expensive places around and I can't afford the other barns or find anything else I can afford. Mare does live outside much better than stalled, but I can't find any other field board opportunities at decent places (where they actually feed and water the horses) either.

I have no idea what to do. Quite honestly I just can't afford a horse -- or at least the full cost of a horse -- at this stage in my life. Everything I make is going towards her upkeep and care, and I don't know how I can get out from under this so that I can begin my own life/career. I feel idiotic trying to lease out a younger horse that still isn't completely back in shape, whether it's a full lease or part. Is that even done?
                      And as much as it kills me to think about selling I know I couldn't anyway right now. I'm lost...
                      where do you live?
                      Are there any Cothers near you who could pasture board your horse?

Comment

You need to call barns around and see if anyone would be interesting in free leasing or leasing out, and spell out that still in rehab, but should be good to go in a few months.

If its a nice easy going ammy friendly horse, market toward pony club and re-riders, you will have some bites.

Otherwise ship horse out to somewhere cheaper to board, do bare minimal vet work, and pull shoes.

"Anyone who tries to make brownies without butter should be arrested." Ina Garten

Comment

Are there any good, reputable and well established lesson barns near by? Our barn occasionally acquires horses that may need some time, groceries, light work/rehab and or some training to get them back into work. They are willing to do all of that, if they feel that the horse could be useful in their program.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all so very much for your kind words and advice.

I live in CT, so the board prices are high. I was able to find a barn today that offers pasture board for $375 with owner providing grain. For a temporary situation it would work, though I really still can't afford it if I can't get a job soon.

I am trying to get into video production, and unfortunately most of the positions are centered around LA, NY, and somewhat Atlanta. I went back to my college's career center and was told that in order to be considered for any of those positions I would need to already live there. That might be doable, and it was my plan to move last summer (pre-injury) but not with a horse -- at least until I had a "real" job. Now I'm just trying to keep my head above the water.

Right now I am still living at home, which is a huge part of my guilt. I hate feeling like a free-loader. My expenses are nearly all horse-related and gas money. Luckily no car payments. I completely forgot about the health insurance I'll be losing soon, so thank you for the reminder and I will try to get my appointments ASAP.

I feel ridiculous about leasing after reading a recent COTH thread about people who try to lease out their green horses. I didn't want to be one of those people. Mare is a nice TB but still greenish undersaddle (hasn't been shown yet) and just starting to canter again. She has (had?) her changes and was starting over some low fences; is quite quiet but also sensitive, fairly mareish, and quite particular. Not really sure anyone would want her. The injury is completely healed, she's a good-looking dapple grey, a decent mover and well-bred (so I'm told), so maybe someone would take a chance. I will give it a try -- even if I can find someone to cover part of her board that will help for the moment.

I have a petsittting job in a couple of weeks, so that's something. I've sold most of my extra tack but I'm holding off on the big items I still use (saddle, bridle, horseware blankets) in case I find someone who will lease her.

Thanks again.

Comment

Apply at Target right now, they will probably hire you next week. I did my hiring paperwork immediately after my interview, and started paid training almosy immediately. like three days later?

It's something.

Start marketing your horse for sale.

Apply for real jobs in your field out of the area, and do some apps daily.
                              Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

The pasture board is good. I would put the mare up for sale. You probably won't get any takers, but there's only one way to know. Network to everyone who knows her.

Your guilt is pushing you to the right moves, but most likely your parents are fine with you being at home if you're hustling, trying, and productive. So don't let your guilt get in the way of taking the time you need to set up your next step.

Gig jobs can cover you for a bit but also prevent you from getting to a long term plan.

Some gig jobs that may be a little less constraining might be braiding, or pet-sitting. I came across a doggie day care that also does vacation boarding and pays an overnight caretaker.

IME I would agree with your school - you aren't going to get hired for an entry level job unless you already have an address local to them.

Network to all your friends, acquaintances, friends of friends. It feels embarrassing but it works.
                                If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I agree with selling your horse as a project horse, it's the tough choice to make but given your situation probably the best. Of the 3 areas you mentioned LA, NY and GA, GA and the Atlanta area is probably the cheapest place to live and has lots of horse options once you have a job and are established. I would start looking in that area first and consider the other two as an option.

Best of luck, sorry about your situation but it will get better. As far as living at home, help out with chores as much as possible, I'm sure your parents are happy to have you there.

Comment

You don't say where you are in CT or what exactly you're looking for, but there are loads of current job listings in the news departments of Hartford stations. Photographer, Producer, Writer, Editor, MMJs... no, it's not a production house but it can go on your resume and put money in the bank. I work in news and this is where TONS of people start for their first jobs out of college before moving on (and some of us stay).

BTW, it's very common for people working in news to move around for jobs, so you could also try applying for those jobs first in the areas you're interested in to get a foot in the door. They won't be expecting you to have a local address when you apply as long as you are willing to move. The cities listed are all major markets which makes it harder, but in some cases you only need a few years experience.
                                    Flickr

Comment

Sounds like horse is young? What was the injury? Might be more of a rehome/permanent free lease situation depending on the circumstances.

Why is your current job ending? I assume you've looked into unemployment if you are being laid off? That could help tide you over and give you time to find a new real job.

I suppose it depends on where in CT you live but there are BOATLOADS of people that commute to NYC from CT by car, train or boat. I think there are some areas that are not as expensive and still commutable to NYC, perhaps along the coast.

Comment

If your mare is ready for light work maybe a traiiner/coach would be willing to take her. Your mare could be used lightly under supervision and in return get room and board.
                                        Think of seeking her a position in the same way you would seek your own position. Phone everyone you know and get at least one number from everyone you talk with.

You are in a tough position for sure but this really is the time for tough planning and looking down the road. Some times hard choices are what opens up opportunities later!

Let us know how you do!

Comment

Working...
                                        X