Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

photo1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

I Gave 30 Days Notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluey View Post

Here it seems that there are several levels of "full care".
    Some of those boarding places are run by retired people that live there:

https://amarillo.craigslist.org/grd/...925642668.html

Clients here come care for their horses and ride in the evenings.
    In the mornings most don't have time to travel many miles to the barn, clean themselves after being in the barn and drive more miles to their jobs.

Seems that boarding barns have learned that cleaning after and feeding mornings for the boarders attracts clients.
    If people live where distances are not great, everything close, maybe other management will attract boarders there.

I think our local conditions is why those alternative management situations evolved.

My point was missed, that there are places where boarding is not that expensive.
    Yeah, it's not that expensive because it's not actually full care.

If the client is doing half the work and has to show up at the barn twice a day to complete the care regimen for the animal, you can call it full care all week long and twice in Tuesdays but it's not full care.

When you can leave your horse and a stack of signed checks with your barn owner and go on a year long deployment to antartica where you will be unreachable, but you are confident that your horse's stall will be cleaned, his comprehensive feeding schedule maintained, his water buckets filled and cleaned, his turn out schedule maintained, the farrier called, his grooming needs met, and his vaccination and other veterinary appointments will be handled, and you will come back a year later to a horse that is fat slick and happy and UTD on all shots, THEN you are getting "full care."

"Full" means "full", not "some of the care but not all".
    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

So you might be leaving one horse at this barn? There's no way I'd do that, even for the sake of continuing a lease.
      She’s considering moving the mare back to a fancy dressage barn, not leaving her where she is.

Comment

Originally posted by Emily&Jake View Post

I live/board my horse in a rural area fifty ish miles from OP and full care board is $120 a month. $400+ is definitely not the norm here, or on the low end.
        I can't imagine any board, let alone full care, being that inexpensive. I keep four horses at home and it costs me $200 - 250 per week for the basics. Plus of course the work.

Comment

Originally posted by Baboo View Post

I can't imagine any board, let alone full care, being that inexpensive. I keep four horses at home and it costs me $200 - 250 per week for the basics. Plus of course the work.
          The cost of facilities and maintenance of those alone makes boarding an iffy proposition for any boarding barn.

Comment

Originally posted by seabreeze View Post

Feeding grain to the horse that shouldn’t have grain is a question of appropriate care, in my opinion.
            I've been wondering all along if they even are feeding him the grain... or just charging for it, while not feeding it to him.

I've been in these shoes, where suddenly care is being doled out in a nickel and diming, charges for every little thing previously included fashion, and being charged for things not done/given often was part of that charade.

Where I live $450 won't get you field board. That starts in the $600 range nowadays. Comparing prices on this board is an exercise in futility.
            Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

So you might be leaving one horse at this barn? There's no way I'd do that, even for the sake of continuing a lease.
              No! Gosh, no! I am planning on meeting pony club kid and her Mom at the fancy barn I want to move to, not at the barn mare is currently at. Both my horses are leaving the current barn.
              Sheilah

Comment

As far as cost of board it depends what you want. My board is less than half of another barn in the area. I give great care, have nice fields for turn out, good footing in the indoor, look after them as if they were my own BUT; I don't have chandeliers in the bathroom, air-condition in the barn, grand piano in the viewing lounge, fresh flowers, fridge, microwave, coffee etc.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Emily&Jake View Post

I live/board my horse in a rural area fifty ish miles from OP and full care board is $120 a month. $400+ is definitely not the norm here, or on the low end.
                  And I wish I were farther out from the "urban hub" that I live in, because I would have more choice and the cost would be lower.

I moved here 19 years ago. Boise still had horses kept in back yards. Where I live was pretty rural, even though we are just outside of Boise. Boarding opportunities were abundant, from self-care to pasture board to full care training facilities.

But that just isn't the case anymore. It has gotten harder and harder to find barns. Subdivisions have exploded like mushrooms. I don't even care about trail access like I use to when I first moved here. I just want decent quality and knowledgeable BOs/BMs. I like settling in at a barn and staying. I hate hopping from one place to another.
                  Sheilah

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Tap View Post
                    As far as cost of board it depends what you want. My board is less than half of another barn in the area. I give great care, have nice fields for turn out, good footing in the indoor, look after them as if they were my own BUT; I don't have chandeliers in the bathroom, air-condition in the barn, grand piano in the viewing lounge, fresh flowers, fridge, microwave, coffee etc.
                    No coffee..!!!

Kidding *** Sounds lovely
                    One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
                    William Shakespeare

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post
                      I've been in these shoes, where suddenly care is being doled out in a nickel and diming, charges for every little thing previously included fashion, and being charged for things not done/given often was part of that charade.
                      If a business is going to raise their rates, while also instituting charges for previously included services like putting on fly masks when horses go to turn out and not improving facilities or offering something new to make the increase and nickel and dime nature of the fee structure understandable? Just looking at it from a simple cost-to-benefit ratio, what is in it for me as a boarder?

I looked at the numbers and if I look at the new rate of $550 for my mare, and include in all the extra charges for fly masks and fly spray and a new mandatory holding fee for the farrier for all horses in the facility (even though both my horses fall asleep in the cross ties and my farrier has always gotten them from turn out and put them back), it is only about $100 cheaper than the fancy place with an indoor. Of course, I will have to take a minimum number of lessons, but that might push me to invest more effort in my riding.
                      Sheilah

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bluey View Post

The cost of facilities and maintenance of those alone makes boarding an iffy proposition for any boarding barn.
                        Which is why there usually needs to be a lesson program to make money. At least, that has been my experience.
                        Sheilah

Comment

I think I understand why they are itemizing those things as extras, basically it is a form of false advertising, like apartments that bill separately for water. DDs apartment complex took the gross charge for water for the entire complex and divided it equally among tthe units, not only did the single renter end up subsidizing the family of five ( I don't recall if they based the fee on apartment size but still) but the water pipes on the grounds had multiple leaks. The apartment cost X, and now plus Y.

As well they may charge for services not performed, keeping track is a lot of extra paperwork and they may well decide to average it out and not in your favor.

Time to move on, best of luck!
                          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                          Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post

In what everloving universe is feeding a horse once a day full care???
                            The same universe where full care boarding only provides a certain amount of hay and boarders have to purchase their own if they want their horse to have enough.

Comment

Originally posted by seabreeze View Post

Feeding grain to the horse that shouldn’t have grain is a question of appropriate care, in my opinion.
                              A handful of grain isn't going to send any horse on a downhill spiral. I agree that if the horse needed something to pacify him at feeding times it should have been discussed with the owner and an appropriate food of owners choosing should be provided for that.

Comment

Originally posted by candyappy View Post

The same universe where full care boarding only provides a certain amount of hay and boarders have to purchase their own if they want their horse to have enough.
                                If a boarding contract says they will provide X% of horse body weight in X hay, that is the contract. If a horse owner wants a different hay or more hay, then the facility is not on the hook for that *shrug*. I have boarded in the past and my contract said everyone pays X amount and receives A, B, and C in return (turnout, water, evening feed, X amt hay twice a day, whatever). When someone boarded a draft with me and wanted 3x day hay feeding and more hay, why should I eat that cost? And why should the other boarders pay the same for what is less?
                                Last edited by TheJenners; Jul. 28, 2019, 05:53 PM. Reason: Engrish
                                COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

• Original Poster

Done deal. Mare is going back to dressage barn and gelding is going back to his previous barn for retirement. Pony club kid has opted to stay at current barn, which is a better fit for her. Dressage barn is more geared towards adult riders.

So, all is well.
                                  Sheilah

Comment

Sure will make for a less stressful life, not being involved in that other place any more.

Comment

Good update. Maybe you'll find a half-leaser at the new barn
                                      COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post
                                        Good update. Maybe you'll find a half-leaser at the new barn
                                        That, maybe even the new barn could eventually use her for some lessons themselves?

Comment

Well, that's a relief !

Comment

Working...
                                          X