Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

Backyard3
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Anybody else havin trouble with the pasture gate here at Off Course?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else havin trouble with the pasture gate here at Off Course?

Howdy, Coth Ranch amigos,

I seem to be able to come in your pasture gate here, but every time I try to tell ya about my latest story of what happened to me, then the gate swings shut and my words disappear. Does anybody know that the fence and gate likely need some mendin? I could help out some if needed. Not a lot, mind ya, since I am retired and 31 years old. Thanks kindly.

Whiskey
    County Island: http://countyisland.wordpress.com

This time you got here. Can't say what else has been going on.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Comment

Send Moderator 1 a note--guessing your posts with a link are getting stuck in the spam filter somewhere.

Comment

• Original Poster

Likely that’s the case. Maybe there’s about half a dozen there on account of I been tryin. I ain’t got a case of the spam...
        I got all my shots.
        Thanks kindly.

Whiskey

Comment

I just approved the first thread and deleted the duplicates. Never know what the filters are going to get hung up on some days!

Comment

I was wondering where Whiskey had been. I hope he is staying under fans with his buddies.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Moderator 1 View Post
              I just approved the first thread and deleted the duplicates. Never know what the filters are going to get hung up on some days!
              Thanks kindly, ranch boss! This new-fangled stuff ain’t always what it’s cracked up to be.

https://countyisland.wordpress.com/2019/07/10/stuck/

Whiskey
              Last edited by Whiskey Ranch-Horse; Jul. 11, 2019, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Glad you got a-loose!

Reminds me of a horse I saw. He was standin’ close to the fence under a tree, looking all droopy and colicky, even drooling on the fence. Every now and then, he’d lift his head an inch or so, then relax again.

When I got to the other side, I saw he was hooked to the tree! He musta itched against the open screw-eye that was screwed into the tree, and the hook it made went through his cheek and caught him like a fish! Luckily he was a laid-back dude, and didn’t panic and rip his cheek, but every now and then he would test it to see “Am I loose? Nope, still stuck”.

Once he was freed, he was back to his normal self, and his bucket gal was told to keep the hole clean as possible, but it would heal over quickly.

Never did find out if he dribbled feed or water through the hole for awhile.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by yaya View Post
                  Glad you got a-loose!

Reminds me of a horse I saw. He was standin’ close to the fence under a tree, looking all droopy and colicky, even drooling on the fence. Every now and then, he’d lift his head an inch or so, then relax again.

When I got to the other side, I saw he was hooked to the tree! He musta itched against the open screw-eye that was screwed into the tree, and the hook it made went through his cheek and caught him like a fish! Luckily he was a laid-back dude, and didn’t panic and rip his cheek, but every now and then he would test it to see “Am I loose? Nope, still stuck”.

Once he was freed, he was back to his normal self, and his bucket gal was told to keep the hole clean as possible, but it would heal over quickly.

Never did find out if he dribbled feed or water through the hole for awhile.
                  Now there'a another real good horse. I hope he got lots of treats, even if he dribbled 'em through a hole in his face. Did his bucket gal near have a breakdown like mine did?

Whiskey

Comment

Glad that turned out well for you Whiskey Ranch-Horse !
                    You horses do have a way of aging us Bucketgals years in a matter of seconds.

My own near-breakdown came when I got home from work one Winter day.
                    Saw my 2 horses standing in pasture, their usual way was to hear my car, then head into the barn as they knew dinner was coming shortly.
                    I can see the pasture from my bedroom window & as I was changing into barn clothes, I peeked out & saw my TWH standing in the same spot. His TB buddy was gone.
                    I flew to the pasture & found he had stepped through the wire corner bracing and was stuck tight.
                    Several piles of manure showed he'd been stuck for some time.
                    No sign of struggle & TB had apparently kept him company until he saw the car. Traitor .

I tried working the foot loose, but it was wedged really tight, no shoes, so caught firmly between fetlock & heel.
                    So tight I worried if he had sliced it on the wire, it was acting like a tourniquet and he'd start bleeding when I got the foot free.
                    Held my breath, got him free & TG! No blood.
                    He took a couple shaky steps, then walked back with me just fine.
                    If he'd been a less sensible horse, that could have been a Very Bad Thing.

Another Heartstopper was when I looked out that bedroom window on a snowy day & saw a long streak of blood on the tan barn siding Both horses were standing head to head right by that Telltale Streak.
                    Ran out to find TB had somehow sliced his eyelid - eye itself was untouched.
                    Nothing sharp to explain how he'd managed to do that, no halters to get blamed.
                    Maybe a game of Facebite gone wrong?
                    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Working...
                    X