Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Front - Main
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Summer 2019 Products/Hacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the silicone dish scrubs like:
    https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sil...it-work-243860
    to curry my horse's face by his eyes. He likes it when I roll the scrubber up and stick it in his itchy ears. It's easy to wash with dish soap.

My horse goes out all night in a fly mask because he is pretty allergic to the no-see-ums and gnats. He has never caught it on anything or had problems seeing that I know of.

One safety thing with fly masks is: always turn them inside out before you put them on. I once put one on that had been hanging on a fencepost by his halter. It must have had a spider or bug in it. As soon as I put it on he started frantically tossing his head and even reared. I was lucky he stood still for me to take it back off. Since then I always give it a shake and make sure nothing is in the ears before it goes on.

Comment

For electrolytes, I find ZYM tablets to be much more palatable than Nuun. I also like some of the drink mixes from Skratch Labs, and they have a lower sugar version. My horse also likes a bucket with the Skratch in it on a hot day after a ride.

The mosquitoes here are out of control this year, and there's the beginnings of a VS outbreak nearby. Flies are always a problem. I'll have to tell the BOs about the dunks!

Comment

Hay Chix makes great hay nets, but they also make a little scrubber thingy out of hay net material. It is the best thing ever for scrubbing water troughs and buckets. Much better than a brush.

Equiderma zinc oxide paste was a lifesaver when my new horse got scratches on all 4 feet shortly after arriving at my place. It completely cleared the scratches in about 10 days, and they were bad.

Higher Standards Rosemary mint saddle soap makes cleaning my tack almost fun. Smells delightful and works great.

Comment

The tiger tongue is amazing.

I started using the Spartan Mosquito Eradicators last year ( the beginning of the rainy season that never ended). You get 2 tubes for $20. I used 2 tubes around our house, 2 tubes around our work shop and 2 tubes around the barn. They last for 3 months. We had a major reduction in mosquitos last year, even though it was a super wet year. I started using them again this year and we have had no mosquito bites at all. Best $120 spent over 6 months.

I'm intrigued with using the mosquito dunks as a "tea" in a sprayer. I've been using fly predators for 1 year and the flies are fewer than when I first brought the horses home, but even fewer would be better.
          Take back your outdoor space with the Spartan Mosquito Eradicator. Invest in Spartan Mosquito Eradicators and take back your outdoors the Spartan way!

Comment

• Original Poster

demidq Good idea, cutting up an old fleece girth cover. Although I don't think I have any of those ready for the trash yet. I just try to buy fly sprays that aren't so noxious that I am scared to get them on myself.

ecpolo So they actually make Pedilyte popsicles? I had no idea! When I heard reference to them, I assumed people were making them themselves.

IrishBirdcatcher Those silicone scrubbers look pretty nice! I might have to try that!

stb Thanks for the recommendation on the saddle soap. I've been trying to find a "better" saddle soap. Bonus if it makes me actually want to clean my tack.

IPEsq I'm more interested in the Skratch for my horses now that you mention it... what flavor do your horses prefer? My mare hates electrolytes and also drinks poorly off the farm, so I'd be curious to try something like that with her...

jawa I'm glad you feel like the Spartan eradicators are working for you. I'm not so sure they have done anything for me, probably because we have so much water around. I didn't buy them again this year, but maybe I should give them another go since I also started using dunks in the standing water.
            Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

jawa I'm glad you feel like the Spartan eradicators are working for you. I'm not so sure they have done anything for me, probably because we have so much water around. I didn't buy them again this year, but maybe I should give them another go since I also started using dunks in the standing water.[/QUOTE]

I used double the number recommended the first 3 months the first year since we had a bit of a late start and it was SOOO wet. We had daytime and night time mosquitos. There was almost never a time you could be outside without getting bit. We still had a few mosquitos at the end of the season, but their numbers were greatly reduced. My husband, the biting insect attractor, noticed a huge difference. I started using them early this year, April, because it was still pretty wet and I wanted to be ahead of the mosquito curve.

I have read that you can make your own. Or replenish the tubes you may still have. Water, yeast and brown sugar. I may try that.

I called the company because I wanted to know if they sold JUST the packet of "miracle" mosquito attractant. They said they didn't, because they didn't want people to just dump the old tubes liquid onto the ground. That really had me stumped.

Comment

Health HairCare Moisturizer: I really think this helps Super Shorty's coat after near-daily hosing after rides. (I actually use this year round, but more in the summer)

Tea Tree Ade ointment: I put this on any sort of sore, scratch, bug bite, scurff, ick that appears in the summer. Obviously not open wounds, but you get the idea: "Put some Windex on it."

I use a grooming mitt similar to this for scrubbing water tubs/buckets. A quick wipe (I flip my tubs every few days so there is never a lot of algae) with this, gets the nooks and crannies of a Rubbermaid water tub quite easily. More so than your traditional scrub brush.

Effax Mildew-Free: This is the ultimate lifesaver for those who don't have a climate controlled tack room. I take my saddle inside the house and wipe it down with just a damp cloth. I let it dry (it's not wet, but I give it about half an hour). I turn the saddle over so that panels are exposed and the flaps lie open. This allows the product to get up into those hard to reach places and under the stirrup bars. I spray, then wipe to distribute the product. I flip the saddle back over and spray a little product onto the cloth and give the outer flaps and seat a quick wipe. NO MOLD.

Comment

If you don't want to use old girth covers, fleecy mitts designed for washing cars also work well to apply fly spray. They are usually pretty inexpensive as well
                  http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

Originally posted by ecileh View Post
                    Texarkana my One K Defender is the first ventilated helmet I have ever owned that I can actually feel air moving through.
                    Me too. Love mine

Comment

I just purchased the fly mask with fringe. So far pony likes it and hasn't tried to remove it.

The grooming gloves are my favorite find from last year. I use them all the time.

Helmet wise, I purchased the Ovation Protege at $45.00, I have no problem replacing it after a fall and its very comfortable.
                      "Anyone who tries to make brownies without butter should be arrested." Ina Garten

Comment

The woman that keeps my retired horse got those Shires masks this year and really likes them. The fringe stays cleaner than a net extension over the nose.

Love my tigers tongue. A barn mate has one at home she uses to clean her patio furniture.

For my horse who gets itchy bumps from gnats, IBH spray (https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....8-987b431bd3ad) has really helped. He’s also on allergy shots, but still gets the bumps. If I spray the stream once or twice a week it stops the rubbing and skin removal.

The Gloria Vanderbilt jeans that you can get at Costco (or via their website if your Costco is like the one closest to me) have enough stretch and minimal seams so you can ride in them. They’re sometimes as low as $10. They’re somewhat high-waisted so not everyone going to like that.
                        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Originally posted by luvmyhackney View Post
                          I just purchased the fly mask with fringe. So far pony likes it and hasn't tried to remove it.

The grooming gloves are my favorite find from last year. I use them all the time.

Helmet wise, I purchased the Ovation Protege at $45.00, I have no problem replacing it after a fall and its very comfortable.
                          Update: The Shires mask with fringe lasted 4 hours before being taken off by pony. Lovely mask and handled being tossed around by the donkeys beautifully.
                          "Anyone who tries to make brownies without butter should be arrested." Ina Garten

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by luvmyhackney View Post

Update: The Shires mask with fringe lasted 4 hours before being taken off by pony. Lovely mask and handled being tossed around by the donkeys beautifully.
                            Well bummer!

I find I have to tighten them more snuggly than I would with other masks. But because the material is so stretchy, it doesn't seem to bother the horses. I've been using them since spring and no rubs or problems from fastening them tighter than usual. Some excess velcro flops off to the side, but that doesn't bother anyone either.
                            Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Peggy View Post

For my horse who gets itchy bumps from gnats, IBH spray (https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....8-987b431bd3ad) has really helped. He’s also on allergy shots, but still gets the bumps. If I spray the stream once or twice a week it stops the rubbing and skin removal.
                              This looks interesting! I had not heard of it. I will have to keep this in mind for my perpetually itchy horse. Thanks!

The Gloria Vanderbilt jeans that you can get at Costco (or via their website if your Costco is like the one closest to me) have enough stretch and minimal seams so you can ride in them. They’re sometimes as low as $10. They’re somewhat high-waisted so not everyone going to like that.
                              Along this same idea, I have a couple pairs of "jeggings" from Walgreens that are the most comfortable things in the world. I have ridden in them quite frequently!

Comment

Originally posted by LuvRedHeads View Post

back_in_the_saddle What size fan are you using in the trailer? It looks like it comes in 4", 5", 10", 12" and 16" sizes. The smaller fans look quite affordable, but I don't know if they would be effective enough.
                                Following because I want to know too!

Comment

Texarkana he and I both drink the lemon lime flavor.

Comment

Texarkana Thanks for the recommendation on the Geek Aire fan. I bought one last week and used it at a show today. It was still sweltering hot, but the fan made it more bearable. It seems very sturdy and well made. Will definitely be using it at more shows this summer.

My my first tiger tongue disintegrated this spring (after I had used it all winter). It started shedding little tiny pieces of plastic every time I used it. I did buy another one because I found the first so useful, but I'll be interested to see how long this one holds up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenhorse View Post
                                      Texarkana

My my first tiger tongue disintegrated this spring (after I had used it all winter). It started shedding little tiny pieces of plastic every time I used it. I did buy another one because I found the first so useful, but I'll be interested to see how long this one holds up.
                                      Mine is starting to disintegrate now, I have used it daily since last fall. It's shedding, rather like a magic eraser does & I can see there's less material there. I wonder if fly spray breaks it down - plastic doesn't love chemicals. Bummer. If that is the case, wish it came with a warning, I could at least have avoided spraying it directly instead of, you know, treating it like a normal brush.

Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                      We Are Flying Solo

Comment

While in Lowe’s the other day, I picked up one of the basic 2-pocket nail aprons. It occurred to me how it annoys me to find a place to put the brush, Blue Stuff, detangler, and hoof pick while I’m doing a “drive-by dusting & maintenance” of the little herd while they eat their breakfast each morning. So I drop everything in the apron. Makes life easier. It’s the little things...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AWP-General...Apron/50204081
                                        "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

This is the best thread! Thank you for all of the great ideas! I will be getting a couple of those rechargeable fans and I already ordered Zephyr's Garden Leave It Be Bug Bite & Itch Spray.
                                          I agree with those who have switched from Microtek to Equiderma products. There is no going back. I LOVE Equiderma.

Comment

Working...
                                          X