Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

Front cover shot
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Summer 2019 Products/Hacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Love the tiger's tongue for scrubbing legs.

    My horse gets awful bites along his underline and sheath in the summer and I'd posted here for advice on a product that would be gentle on a sensitive area but would protect him from some awful specimen of insect. When 10 COTHers all agree on something, you know it's worth your time, and sure enough neem oil is making summer a much less frustrating time of year. His bites are healing well and he's not getting any more of them. I mix it with Swat as a carrier.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

    Comment


    • #22
      I hate trendy things, but I love the tiger tongue. Cheap & so effective, especially for horses who have opinions about brushes. Last winter I would use it to knock all the dirt off geldings blanket who loves to roll with passion, before I took off blanket, then I would brush the horse with the same thing.

      Great for faces, legs, girths, feet - and dries quickly too!

      Not exactly a purchase, but I found one of those half size shopping carts in a roadside ditch (I swear that is true) & I have it parked by crossties holding bathing stuff, daily grooming equipment, & I hang velcro stuff off the handle. It's my favorite hack.

      ​​
      Life doesn't have perfect footing.

      Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
      We Are Flying Solo

      Comment


      • #23
        Texarkana - even the less drowsy formula makes me drowsy, so I didn't have a real productive day, but at least the headache went away. It was brutal.
        "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by wildlifer View Post

          Not exactly a purchase, but I found one of those half size shopping carts in a roadside ditch (I swear that is true) .

          ​​
          LOL there is probably a youtube video out there of you grabbing it out of the ditch!
          "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

          Comment


          • #25
            I'm doing something a little different with the mosquito dunks...

            I fill up my backpack sprayer with water, put the dunk in the little basket at the top, and let it sit. Then, spray my chicken yard, the horse stalls and the runs with that. I was really struggling to find a way to control the flies in the chicken yard--the chickens will eat the fly predators, it's really tough to clean up with chicken droppings with any thoroughness, don't want to use pesticides--but this seems to be working really well. And it's cheap and pretty easy.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Simkie View Post
              I'm doing something a little different with the mosquito dunks...

              I fill up my backpack sprayer with water, put the dunk in the little basket at the top, and let it sit. Then, spray my chicken yard, the horse stalls and the runs with that. I was really struggling to find a way to control the flies in the chicken yard--the chickens will eat the fly predators, it's really tough to clean up with chicken droppings with any thoroughness, don't want to use pesticides--but this seems to be working really well. And it's cheap and pretty easy.
              This is controlling the flies??? Hmmm!

              I bought the Shires fringed fly mask last year and my horses love it! Maresy actually sticks her head in it!

              I just got a gallon of the Eco Vet, so glad for the warning from another poster to not breathe it in. That's the only thing new to me this year.

              Comment


              • #27
                Does everyone fly mask their horses that live outside 24/7 I’m all paranoid the fly mask will get caught etc. (I have yet to find a good one)

                The cheap zinc sun screen from Walmart, I recently ended up with a super cute overo with a giant pink nose that sun burns!

                I always stock up on bot knifes ever year. I don’t know why bot flies are so bad out here...

                https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

                Comment

                • Original Poster

                  #28
                  grexa Last year I tried the Ecovet fly spray. It definitely works better and differently than others. I didn't buy any this year because a) my flies weren't that bad and b) I could do without the burning sensation. But something about the calendar flipping over to July 1st made the flies explode at my place in a mere 48 hours (and here I thought I was just doing brilliant fly management up until now, ha!). I suspect I'll be picking up another bottle of Ecovet soon, definitely before our next farrier appointment.

                  Renn/aissance Do you think straight neem oil works better than the products that come with neem oil in them? I've been using Equiderma's neem and aloe spray at night and it seems to help a lot with the mosquitos as well as things that bite sensitive areas, but it doesn't completely prevent them. Maybe I should try straight neem oil...

                  wildlifer That cart sounds like a brilliant idea! And I so want to see you hauling it out of the ditch.

                  Simkie Interesting idea! I didn't know the stuff in the dunks had any effect on flies? Or are you using a different type of dunk?

                  streamline I put fly masks on all my horses and donkeys. They all live out 24/7... but I'm also super particular about removing their masks in the dark. I've had too many horses injure themselves while masked overnight. I've never had any injury from them getting their masks caught on anything, as pretty much any design will just slip off/rip/come undone in a struggle.
                  Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Not really a new product but I have 2 horses that sling their food badly and would paw buckets in the field and spill it everywhere. I recently bought them Cashel nosebags for meals. No more wasted grain! I love them and they aren't expensive ($20).

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Obsidian Fire View Post

                      This is controlling the flies??? Hmmm!
                      Originally posted by Texarkana View Post
                      Simkie Interesting idea! I didn't know the stuff in the dunks had any effect on flies? Or are you using a different type of dunk?
                      Yeah, so the "stuff" in mosquito dunks and mosquito bits is Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis and it works on several different kinds of dipterans. Stable and house flies are in that order, and there are a handful of studies out there showing that it works on these common barn filth flies. I even found one that suggested adding it to chicken *feed* was a way to control flies in the big chicken production houses.

                      I'm kind of winging it by spraying it around, but I wanted to use it in a way that the chickens wouldn't eat it (although maybe I SHOULD have them eat the little mosquito bits) and without spending a bunch of bucks. I already had the mosquito dunks and the backpack sprayer, soooooo....here we are

                      I went from hordes of flies in and around my traps on that side of the barn to a scant handful in them, so this is either making a huge difference or something else is. I haven't changed anything else. I spray nearly every day, misting the ground of the run, concentrating on any spots where I can actually see remnants of chicken poop, treat the horse runs kind of the same way, and I mist the stalls because why not?

                      I go through 2-3 gallons when I spray, and top off the backpack sprayer when I finish for the next day, so I'm always "brewing" more mosquito dunk water. It's cheap and easy and seems to be working! It also won't hurt the fly predators--they're in a different order, so it has no effect on them.

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Originally posted by Texarkana View Post
                        back_in_the_saddle Do you have a way to hang yours in your trailer? I just set mine on the ground and let it blow on my horse when we parked. It would be nice to have a way to secure it for use while driving, but I wasn't quite sure how.
                        My trailer has a couple welded D-rings on the ceiling center support bar. I guess they are for hanging hay nets, but I prefer to hang the hay nets off the side D-rings that are a little lower. So I hang the fan off the ceiling rings with a couple carabiners and a short bungee to keep it snug.

                        If you don't have those in your trailer, you could weld some on. I have a mobile welding service in my area that will come out to your place for small jobs.

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post
                          I woke up with a “dehydration hangover” this morning after showing all day yesterday. MASSIVE headache, bit of an upset stomach and just a little off kilter. Took a Dramamine and felt much better within a few hours. The headache was pretty severe.
                          I recently started using Nuun tablets to rehydrate after rides and I really like them: https://smile.amazon.com/Nuun-Hydrat...8-1-spons&th=1

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Originally posted by back_in_the_saddle View Post

                            My trailer has a couple welded D-rings on the ceiling center support bar. I guess they are for hanging hay nets, but I prefer to hang the hay nets off the side D-rings that are a little lower. So I hang the fan off the ceiling rings with a couple carabiners and a short bungee to keep it snug.

                            If you don't have those in your trailer, you could weld some on. I have a mobile welding service in my area that will come out to your place for small jobs.
                            back_in_the_saddle What size fan are you using in the trailer? It looks like it comes in 4", 5", 10", 12" and 16" sizes. The smaller fans look quite affordable, but I don't know if they would be effective enough.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Texarkana I haven't tried products that include neem oil as well as other ingredients; I just used this cosmetic-grade neem oil that was recommended here. I mixed it with Swat because the oil is light enough that it dripped, since I was applying it on areas highly subject to gravity, and the Swat helped it stay where I put it.

                              I just bought a bottle of Ecovet.
                              "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Originally posted by Palm Beach View Post

                                LOL there is probably a youtube video out there of you grabbing it out of the ditch!
                                I guess there could be - it would have shown the ridiculous excitement on my face, hahaha.

                                streamline I also have masks on my guys who are out all the time, but I do take them off at night. They have trees in their paddocks but never had a mask get caught, they would tear off easily enough.

                                The only time I've left a mask on for 24 hr periods is when it was holding wound bandages on. They will create rubs if you don't give them a break even with fleece edges. Alternatively you could put a fringed browband (I have some cheap ones that velcro on for trail riding) on a breakaway halter (schneiders has nice padded ones for $19) if you wanted something that would have less effects on night vision.
                                Life doesn't have perfect footing.

                                Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                We Are Flying Solo

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  Originally posted by wildlifer View Post

                                  I guess there could be - it would have shown the ridiculous excitement on my face, hahaha.

                                  streamline I also have masks on my guys who are out all the time, but I do take them off at night. They have trees in their paddocks but never had a mask get caught, they would tear off easily enough.

                                  The only time I've left a mask on for 24 hr periods is when it was holding wound bandages on. They will create rubs if you don't give them a break even with fleece edges. Alternatively you could put a fringed browband (I have some cheap ones that velcro on for trail riding) on a breakaway halter (schneiders has nice padded ones for $19) if you wanted something that would have less effects on night vision.
                                  It’s just with 3 horses, I don’t live on the property and leave for work at 5 AM.. no way am I going to go out at 4 am and try to catch 3 horses on the 20+ acres to put fly masks on! Sadly ( the only help I have is the husbands aging dad and I won’t have him try to catch the naughty ponies either. I have one more with a blue eye that gets irritated, the only one last year got cheet grass from a bad round bale stuck in his eye and he has half vision in it. The other one gets an occasional runny eye but 🤷🏼*♀️


                                  Same with I’d like to put a break away halter on my problem horse because he’s impossible to catch but I worry.

                                  I might buy some fringe brow bands just to have!
                                  https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Originally posted by Simkie View Post
                                    I'm doing something a little different with the mosquito dunks...

                                    I fill up my backpack sprayer with water, put the dunk in the little basket at the top, and let it sit. Then, spray my chicken yard, the horse stalls and the runs with that. I was really struggling to find a way to control the flies in the chicken yard--the chickens will eat the fly predators, it's really tough to clean up with chicken droppings with any thoroughness, don't want to use pesticides--but this seems to be working really well. And it's cheap and pretty easy.
                                    How many gallons of water per dunk? I’m always looking for new fly-fighting methods. For some reason, the flies are worse than usual in my area this year. I have dunks sitting around doing nothing because we’re in a drought (the solid year-and-a-half of rain finally stopped in April and it’s barely rained since) and there is no sitting water to put them in.

                                    Only a couple of different things for me this summer: Shoofly Leggins (love) and Hey Where’s That Blue Stuff lotion to combat scratches. My gelding gets bad scratches every year, and I figured I’d try it. He started with the scratches erupting on the indentation between his heel bulbs right above the coronet band several days ago. I’ve been rubbing in a nickel-sized amount on the area once a day, and it is improving. No special care otherwise...no scrubbing, cleaning, etc. I just rub on the lotion while he’s eating breakfast. It smells good, too, so that’s a plus.

                                    Thanks for all these great ideas! I really like the idea of hanging a mesh bag...and I really wish I had room for a shopping cart! Lol
                                    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Originally posted by seabreeze View Post

                                      How many gallons of water per dunk? I’m always looking for new fly-fighting methods. For some reason, the flies are worse than usual in my area this year. I have dunks sitting around doing nothing because we’re in a drought (the solid year-and-a-half of rain finally stopped in April and it’s barely rained since) and there is no sitting water to put them in.
                                      Lots? My backpack sprayer holds 5 gallons maybe? I've been spraying 2-3 gallons nearly every day for a couple weeks and the dunk is still mostly intact. It'll last for quite awhile making mosquito dunk "tea."

                                      It's a "pretreat" kinda deal. You spray the areas where flies are breeding to stop more from developing. It won't have any effect on existing flies.

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Originally posted by Simkie View Post

                                        Lots? My backpack sprayer holds 5 gallons maybe? I've been spraying 2-3 gallons nearly every day for a couple weeks and the dunk is still mostly intact. It'll last for quite awhile making mosquito dunk "tea."

                                        It's a "pretreat" kinda deal. You spray the areas where flies are breeding to stop more from developing. It won't have any effect on existing flies.
                                        Ahhhh...I get it. I’ve never used a backpack sprayer so I didn’t understand that there is an “infuser” sort of thingy inside of the tank. My pull-behind sprayers have always just had the single, big tank in which you mix everything directly. Thanks!
                                        "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Originally posted by streamline View Post

                                          It’s just with 3 horses, I don’t live on the property and leave for work at 5 AM.. no way am I going to go out at 4 am and try to catch 3 horses on the 20+ acres to put fly masks on! Sadly ( the only help I have is the husbands aging dad and I won’t have him try to catch the naughty ponies either. I have one more with a blue eye that gets irritated, the only one last year got cheet grass from a bad round bale stuck in his eye and he has half vision in it. The other one gets an occasional runny eye but 🤷🏼*♀️


                                          Same with I’d like to put a break away halter on my problem horse because he’s impossible to catch but I worry.

                                          I might buy some fringe brow bands just to have!
                                          I leave a fly mask on my guy 24/7 (except when he removes it himself!) and have done this for years. It's a mask quite similar to the Shires with the fringe on the nose part. This mask doesn't rub, but others have. So I have tried a few different styles. He cannot have any kind of halter on because they rub, so the fly fringe browband was out. He's prone to runny eyes/infections/conjunctivitis, and neither one of us are thrilled when I have to treat his eyes with medicated eye drops. I have had no issue with his mask being on 24/7 and it is the best approach for him, so I wouldn't hesitate to leave a mask on. Just watch for runs and inspect daily. I have 2 so I can swap out as needed when one needs to be cleaned.





                                          A fellow boarder has been using neem oil diluted with water I believe. When we rode on the trail together her horse wasn't plagued by flies as bad as mine. I used an off the shelf fly spray. So I'm going to order some neem oil and give it a try.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X