Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

BarnApartmentFront
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

I need a good old dose of COTH honesty UPDATE post #42

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    My old grey mare who had never been skinny her whole life, lost weight. It was caused by melanoma so I had her put down - the guilt I felt hurt, but I knew it was the right thing, even though I had borned her, had her mother, broke and trained her - I just knew it was not right to let her waste away.
    No animal should have to end their lives in terrible pain because they lost the owner lottery. Better IMO, to euthanize way too soon than even a day too late. It's what I'd want for myself, so why would I deny that to my horses?

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your kind and sage advice. The appointment was scheduled for this morning and she is gone. When I went to the barn this morning to pick her up, I could see in her eye that this was the right thing to do- her breathing was worse with this heat wave (I don't think I mentioned in the original post that she'd had a botched tie back surgery somewhere in her life) and her melanoma had grown visibly in the last 2 weeks. In the immortal COTH words, this it be right.

This has been one hell of a week (I just picked my Morgan mare up from New Bolton yesterday where she had an enucleation due to severe facial fractures from a pasture accident) and my summer vacation has been cancelled ( I feel silly for complaining about that but I sure could use a few days break ). Here's to hoping things are looking up from here
      "You'll never see yourself in the mirror with your eyes closed"

Comment

Hugs.

Feeling for you, so much mishap at once.

Yes, it was time, let that tough comfort you a bit.

Comment

It takes bravery to do the right thing....
          www.headsupspecialriders.com

Comment

So long good mare and healing thoughts to you Tabula
            One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
            William Shakespeare

Comment

I am sorry for your loss.
              Jingling for your Morgan.

Comment

I'm glad her rough days and anxiety are over. Can you hide under the covers tomorrow??

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TMares View Post
                  I'm glad her rough days and anxiety are over. Can you hide under the covers tomorrow??
                  I wish, especially because the hits just keep on coming. Came home to find our old lady kitty in the yard unable to walk. I don't know how much more of this I can take

Comment

I’m so sorry you are going through all of this. Many jingles for you and your critters.
                    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

You are a good person to be so kind to your animals, Giving them a good life and a good death is the best we can do for them. I'm sorry about the old lady kitty. I swear these things come in cycles. Be kind to yourself!
                      Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
                      http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

Hang in there. I love my animals like you obviously do, but the stress can sometimes be overwhelming. Wishing you strength!
                        "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

{{tabula rashah}}

You did right for your old girl and she now resting comfortably.

Sorry about your kitty
                          Maybe the reason I love animals so much is because the only time they have broken my heart is when they've crossed that rainbow bridge

Comment

((HUGS)) it sounds like you’ve sure had a rough go of it. It’s never easy but you made the right call. I wish you happier days ahead

Comment

It sucks but... this, too, shall pass.

(((( Many understanding hugs )))
                              <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

(( huge hugs.)) jingles for kitty and morgan mare.
                                AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

TR, my heart goes out to you. All this suffering at once. And it's not wrong to be upset about the vacation. Would your work support you taking even just one or two long weekends this month-- some quiet time to gather your thoughts (and, yes, cry your eyes out) is so necessary in difficult times.
                                  Anyway, you have a giant shoulder here at COTH to cry on and complain to as much as you want.

Comment

Great big hugs! I'm so sorry. (I've had a pretty bad year with losses, so I understand what you're going through.)
                                    Finding Cures, Saving Children. Sept. 29, 2019 Saddle Up for St. Jude event. Donate here.

Comment

(((hugs)))

Comment

Hugs and jingles. Sometimes it seems that the hits come in waves. Hopefully yours is over for now.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Hopefully the rule of 3 is true and I am done for a while.
                                          On a good note, we're 5 days post-op and my mare's eye (or lack thereof) seems to be healing well and she's adjusting very quickly. She's already allowed to start back in work but I think I'm going to wait until our follow up appointment next week at least

Comment

Working...
                                          X