Stallion Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

Front cover shot
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

I need a good old dose of COTH honesty UPDATE post #42

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a good old dose of COTH honesty UPDATE post #42

I have a mare in her late 20's. She's been boarding with a friend for the past 2 years or so, keeping friend's horse company after her other horse passed away. Friend and her husband divorced about a year ago and husband bought her out of the farm- the divorce wasn't necessarily amicable but it wasn't dirty either and things have still been very awkward there. Both horses stayed with the husband. Now friend is working as a barn manager at a nice farm and she is able to move her mare there which is awesome for her. So now I need to move my mare. Here are the issues though- my mare is a lunatic who is sound 3 weeks out of 4 (suspensory issues) maybe. She also needs all day to eat her feed to keep her in any type of decent body condition- this works at my friend's house because my mare is dominant over hers. It doesn't work in my set up at all- I rent a 10 acre field with run in (self care) and when mare is with my group she is low man on the totem pole. I have a stall available to feed her in but she can't stay in there all day (it's not mine) and she won't eat in there anyway because she'd be by herself and she goes nuts to the point of hurting herself. I could look for somewhere else to board her but between boarding prices around here plus her needing to be out 24/7, eat crazy amounts and her manic behavior issues- I think the right situation would be near impossible to find. Even now, when it comes right down to it, I'm paying out more for her than either of my horses who are out there actively competing. Am I horrible to be thinking I should put her down?
    "You'll never see yourself in the mirror with your eyes closed"

No, you are not horrible for considering putting her down. Would you feel better if she hurt herself first? Sometimes it is best to be "proactive". It's never an easy decision, but sometimes the best decision for everyone.
    www.cordovafarm.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rashah View Post
      I have a mare in her late 20's. She's been boarding with a friend for the past 2 years or so, keeping friend's horse company after her other horse passed away. Friend and her husband divorced about a year ago and husband bought her out of the farm- the divorce wasn't necessarily amicable but it wasn't dirty either and things have still been very awkward there. Both horses stayed with the husband. Now friend is working as a barn manager at a nice farm and she is able to move her mare there which is awesome for her. So now I need to move my mare. Here are the issues though- my mare is a lunatic who is sound 3 weeks out of 4 (suspensory issues) maybe. She also needs all day to eat her feed to keep her in any type of decent body condition- this works at my friend's house because my mare is dominant over hers. It doesn't work in my set up at all- I rent a 10 acre field with run in (self care) and when mare is with my group she is low man on the totem pole. I have a stall available to feed her in but she can't stay in there all day (it's not mine) and she won't eat in there anyway because she'd be by herself and she goes nuts to the point of hurting herself. I could look for somewhere else to board her but between boarding prices around here plus her needing to be out 24/7, eat crazy amounts and her manic behavior issues- I think the right situation would be near impossible to find. Even now, when it comes right down to it, I'm paying out more for her than either of my horses who are out there actively competing. Am I horrible to be thinking I should put her down?
      Sounds like your mare is not happy in her own skin and adding the soundness issues, well ...

A nice, kind, slowpoke horse happy no matter what would be a different story.
      A nervous horse that is hard on herself and not about to change?
      Does give pause, requires lots of second thoughts about what is best.
      Makes the caretaker feel bad, because to euthanize is also self-serving, adding a measure of guilt to a complicated decision.

I would run that thru our vets and see what they think.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bluey View Post

I would run that thru our vets and see what they think.
        My vet is okay with it and basically said- it's up to you. She has known this horse and her issues for a long time

Comment

I would euthanize, with sadness but not guilt.

Comment

What about a feed bag?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by joiedevie99 View Post
              What about a feed bag?
              She's getting almost 15 lbs of grain a day. She would have to have it on for hours (she eats very slowly) and the other horses would beat the snot out of her in the meanwhile.

Comment

I would not see this as a convenience euth, but as what is probably the best choice for the horse
                I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Comment

I would euth and have 0 guilt about it. No sense waiting for her to lose condition or hurt herself before you do it. I also won't put myself out financially for a horse that is unsound of mind and body.

Comment

I don't think I know enough about this situation to give meaningful advice, but I do sympathize you are in this situation and pondering such a difficult decision.

My first questions would be: why so much food (complete feed?) Why is it taking her so long to eat (dentition? EORTH?).

As is, taking your post at face value and not knowing your history on COTH as a good/knowledgeable horse person, my knee jerk reaction would be that it's not the right set up for the mare or something is missing. 15 lb is a lot unless complete feed, on older horses doesn't make me pause too much, but the taking all day to eat definitely does.
                    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

My sympathies. I have a very old horse who takes all day to eat his ration, too. He loses interest, wanders off to have a snooze, forgets where his hay is, all sorts of reasons. He lives in his own space with neighbors, so he can do what he likes without interference. I recently changed his feed and he seems a bit more engaged with it for now, but I'm pretty sure he will get bored with it again soon.

I am weighing whether we will go through another winter. If I had to move him and completely disrupt his life on top of all his special neediness, there would be no hesitation in my mind, I'd put him down.

Comment

With my own place? I'd consider the option giving her an mini, or old diplomat, fence her off and make her feed trough higher than mini can reach.

Comment

Is it possible to hotwire off a section for her? And perhaps another section that you can use for rotating other horses into that have to stay in her sight?

Comment

Hey, this is Kat in Alabama. I trust your horsemanship to know that if you're considering it, you know your horse well enough. It's okay if it's time.

Comment

Sounds like your mare has had many years of the good life with you. At this point she's unsound, anxious and hard to feed. I'd do it before her buddy leaves to save her a stressful move.

Good luck with your decision and hugs to you. It's always a heartbreak
                              One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
                              William Shakespeare

Comment

You’re not unreasonable at all for considering euthanasia. About half way through reading your post I was already there and scrolling back up to see your mares age as late 20’s (not that it would be less appropriate for a younger horse). It’ll be harder on you than it is on her. If you think it’s time, then I think you’re right.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MsM View Post
                                  Is it possible to hotwire off a section for her? And perhaps another section that you can use for rotating other horses into that have to stay in her sight?
                                  I have actually tried that before and the way the field is set up there's no where she can be that she can always see others (big hill, too many trees, the way the run-in is situated, etc) and when she can't see them, she will bolt through the electric.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by beowulf View Post
                                    I don't think I know enough about this situation to give meaningful advice, but I do sympathize you are in this situation and pondering such a difficult decision.

My first questions would be: why so much food (complete feed?) Why is it taking her so long to eat (dentition? EORTH?).

As is, taking your post at face value and not knowing your history on COTH as a good/knowledgeable horse person, my knee jerk reaction would be that it's not the right set up for the mare or something is missing. 15 lb is a lot unless complete feed, on older horses doesn't make me pause too much, but the taking all day to eat definitely does.
                                    Yes, a complete feed. Mostly it takes her so long to eat because she is a hot mess. Takes a bite, walks a few circles, takes a bite. If something totally distracts her, it make take her 10-15 mins to go back to eating. She has always been this way- I got her from a weird, semi-rescue situation where she was shut in a stall and not handled because she was labeled dangerous. I have no doubt that a good bit of her hard keeper issues are due to her temperament. She is also grey, so vet and I have speculated a bit about tumors.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TMares View Post
                                      Hey, this is Kat in Alabama. I trust your horsemanship to know that if you're considering it, you know your horse well enough. It's okay if it's time.
                                      Thank you- you know I value (and appreciate) your opinion.

Comment

You know your horse better than anyone, and you've been a responsible horse owner for many years. If your vet has no issue with euthing, you do what you believe is best for your mare.
                                        Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

Working...
                                        X