Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

EREP-2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

PPE - Looking for opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Wow. Thank you all so much for the advice. I will reply to some of the more specific questions in a bit. I am not in a rush to buy, I want to do right by myself, my future horse and my goals.

Comment

Bad flexions are usually either a full stop, not willing to go further or an indication to radiograph/ultrasound. Injecting (particularly a stifle!) without actually taking a look-see at what's going on in there is......odd. You have no idea what might be happening, and a bad flex there can be a lot of different things.

This horse sounds like a great fit for you, so haul him into a referral clinic and have the most talented lameness guy in your area look at him. Vets range in skill on diagnosing lameness. It's worth it to use someone who's REALLY good at it.

If you're not sure who that person is in your area, post where you are, and people here will help you figure it out.

Comment

I'd ultrasound the suspensory and if that looks ok, maybe the stifle. I think injections can make them feel better for a month or so even if it's a soft tissue injury - I'd be careful even if he flexes clean after the injections.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by summerfield View Post
          I will be the one to throw in a voice of caution, although I do think he is really, really cute.

There is always a risk buying a horse that is not already performing at the level you want to ride.

You say he is lacking conditioning from the lesson program, which tells me he isn't being used a ton, and that you are improving him, which tells me you are the most advanced rider on him, and you are showing at 2'. He has only been jumping for 6 months.

He may be just fine bopping around a 2-foot course. He may not be fine doing 3'3" and Training level. There's a reason most school horses really don't jump much higher than 2' - 2'6". Will you be okay if he can't do what you want?
          I agree, there's definitely a chance he won't be comfortable higher than 2'6". We were starting slow and easy, to not overface him and give him confidence over jumps. He's doing great - but he's still green at it I would say as this was the 5th time he'd gone over the rolltop and the first time he dodged so bad I almost came off.

And that's a tough question to answer. I would be okay if he were sound and good jumping 2'-2'6" and a potential lease/sale horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by beowulf View Post
            In the video you posted... he's not sound. To me he looks weak behind - is it a general weakness from being out of shape, or is it from an actual injury?

The LH is subtle but the RH is not. It's most obvious when you ask for canter from trot, watch how the RH has an odd circumduction to it and a much shorter stride length, and seems to rotate inward but not push -- and then cantering, is obvious around turns on the right hand lead, very quick to deload the RH and not much separation of hinds in that direction. Watch the ending where you come back to trot, watch the LH and how it circumducts to avoid loading the RH.

As gently as possible, I'd suggest developing your eye to lamenes, same goes for your trainer, who should have picked up on this..

When you are assessing a horse for lameness, some things to keep in mind for hind lamenesses: watch both legs - do they both stride the same distance? Overtrack, not track up at all? Do they both articulate to the same degree, does one leg stay suspended in the air longer (RH), or have a hitch to it when being pulled forward (RH), is there much separation of the hinds in the canter? Does one leg have a shorter stride? Do they load (place weight down) the hoof evenly? Does a toe, or both toes drag? One thing about hind limb lameness that is tricky.. sometimes, the horse deloads (swaps weight to the sound limb) the lame limb quickly, which presents as a shorter stride in the *SOUND* limb.. so sometimes the shorter stride in the hind leg is the SOUND leg and not the lame leg.. very tricky to see, and the way I distinguish between the two is to watch how the hoof lands, and note any deviation in locomotion of both limbs.

Is he shod behind? I can't tell in the video... almost looks like he is, but if he isn't, I'd be putting shoes on him first and developing a conditioning program meant to strengthen the hindquarters and stifles: so, hillwork and poles..

All that being said... I like him a lot. I think he is priced fairly at $5500 if he is sound, but I would not go buying him until you know the outcome of the stifle injections and why he is lame.

It is not uncommon for horses to flex positive behind marginally, especially once they enter their early teens. That is not always a huge red flag for me for LL pursuits, and if you can manage his comfort with injections, he looks like a nice horse.. I would just make sure you know why he is lame before you buy him. If it's general weakness, he's probably a nice prospect... but if he's lame because of, say, a stifle injury, that's a tough road to recover from and stifle injuries tend to follow them around the rest of their riding careers.
            Thank you for all the feedback. I am taking it seriously and will work to improve my lameness radar.
            He is shod on all four. He is out 24/7 and NC has been wet - I started him on Keratex a week ago and I'm hoping that will help his hooves. He did test sensitive in his frogs/soles on some of his feet as well.
            I agree, I will definitely wait to purchase until I know if/why he is lame. There is a limit to the risk I'm willing to take.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by DarkBayUnicorn View Post
              I have to agree with summerfield and beowulf that there is something highly suspect going on behind in the video. I would want to know a lot more about WHY he's unsound behind before writing a cheque.

Now, if your stated goal was to toodle around local schooling shows at 2' or 2'3" like you are now, I would be a lot less concerned. But the amount of push from behind required to jump 3' or 3'3" or to stay sound galloping cross country? Different ballgame.

Question for you: in the video, you ask only for simple changes (and I think I heard someone saying something along the lines of "the leads are a problem" in the backgroud audio), but have you asked for and has he successfully given you a flying change? Can he swap leads cleanly in both directions at liberty? Sticky leads and cross-cantering can be indicative of stifle problems.

Also, you said earlier he tends to get quick over fences, but I'm seeing a pretty pedestrian canter (people clucking at you on the audio). Does he light up at higher jumps only? He could be using velocity to clear jumps rather than rock back and push with his hind end. Another indication of something going on back there.

Any chance you can lease him from your trainer for a year with the option to buy him out if he stays sound and progresses in work? He otherwise looks a lovely, kind type to learn on.
              He has given a flying change when asked. It is much easier for him to give the change when going from right to left but he has also given it from left to right. I stopped pushing for the flying once I felt him get strung out as I didn't want to stress him out.
              The clucking when we were passing is because he had previously attempted to end the course at the gate rather than continue and it was encouragement.
              He does not just light up at higher jumps. This was one of the hunter rounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP6HoPUCVLk and he was definitely forward here. One of my biggest flaws is holding too much instead of just letting him go forward.
              Leasing is an option tho! It's definitely something I was considering in assessing the situation as it is now.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TMares View Post
                Now that I watch him on a big screen, not my phone, he is off on that RH for sure- not hugely- but he doesn't USE it, he brings it along.

I bought this three year old:
                https://youtu.be/FhQCjZNyCRs

And couldn't see or feel his 'off' ness behind. We piddled for a while as I tried to get him fitter, he'd fall out behind on that RH. Had the vet out and while he had a cigarette and talked on the phone he watched me walk him around. He hung up and hollered YOU DON'T FEEL THAT?? I laughed and said no. I wasn't ready to inject so we did cold laser treatments. He improved, but wasn't perfect, and I did work on his fitness. FF a few years and I had both injected. He is absolutely sound as a dollar now two years post injection and the vet palpated them with his annual floating and declared them awesome - but what I wouldn't give to get in a time machine and ultrasound both stifles THEN.

You have big goals to jump 3+ feet. Maybe it is worth it to do more diagnostics to rule him in or rule him out.
                That's good to hear! The more I think and read, the more it looks like I'll want to ultrasound SI and stifle for peace of mind.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
                  Bad flexions are usually either a full stop, not willing to go further or an indication to radiograph/ultrasound. Injecting (particularly a stifle!) without actually taking a look-see at what's going on in there is......odd. You have no idea what might be happening, and a bad flex there can be a lot of different things.

This horse sounds like a great fit for you, so haul him into a referral clinic and have the most talented lameness guy in your area look at him. Vets range in skill on diagnosing lameness. It's worth it to use someone who's REALLY good at it.

If you're not sure who that person is in your area, post where you are, and people here will help you figure it out.
                  Thank you for the advice. I'm in Chapel Hill, NC if anyone has any lameness vets they'd recommend!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by theresak View Post
                    I'd ultrasound the suspensory and if that looks ok, maybe the stifle. I think injections can make them feel better for a month or so even if it's a soft tissue injury - I'd be careful even if he flexes clean after the injections.
                    Okay that makes sense. I'll probably plan on ultrasounding suspensory, stifle, and SI

Comment

Originally posted by jmp1993 View Post

Thank you for all the feedback. I am taking it seriously and will work to improve my lameness radar.
                      He is shod on all four. He is out 24/7 and NC has been wet - I started him on Keratex a week ago and I'm hoping that will help his hooves. He did test sensitive in his frogs/soles on some of his feet as well.
                      I agree, I will definitely wait to purchase until I know if/why he is lame. There is a limit to the risk I'm willing to take.
                      That is smart.

I second whoever said to go to a lameness specialist and see what all they can tell you, since one vet already did have questions with what it found.
                      When in doubt, not to go there makes sense.

Comment

My question is - why the jump to purchase instead of continuing to lease? It sounds like a win-win for you and your trainer. You can continue your growth on the horse, she gets the benefit of you putting good miles on the horse, but you're not tied into a horse that's potentially best limited to a 2' arena. Food for thought...?

Comment

Originally posted by jmp1993 View Post

Thank you for the advice. I'm in Chapel Hill, NC if anyone has any lameness vets they'd recommend!
                          Here is a thread (a few years old) about lameness vets in that area

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f...recommendation

Comment

"My goal for myself is to have a fun horse I can dabble in the 3'3" hunter/jumper rounds, pursue up to Training level eventing, and attend clinics."

Those are pretty big dabbles. Personally, a 15.1 cross breed who has backend red flags at 8 is not the direction I would go. If he's a good boy that gives you the confidence you need I'd try to do a long-term lease. He's super cute but he doesn't strike me as the type that is going to find 3'3 effortless.

If you can resolve the underlying lameness issue and would be just as happy doing unrated 2'6-2'9 and BN/N for the next 10+ years I think he could be a really special long term partner. There is also no reason why he couldn't be your BN/N horse and then find him a great next home in 2-4 years while he is still young and fit.

Comment

This might be a dumb question, but the people seeing lameness in the equitation video, can you point out the time signature of where you are seeing it and what you are seeing? I'm looking and looking, but I don't see anything beyond maybe a horse that needs to build up some fitness and get stronger in the hind and more balanced. Trying to figure out what I'm missing. The only thing I can see is that he seems to prefer his left lead, but I know plenty of sound horses that prefer one lead over another until they even out. I'm looking on a computer screen so it's large.

The gaited 3 year old looks lame to me, even at a gait. I can see that. I can't see it on this guy though. And I'd like to get a better eye for it, I'm always paranoid about my horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo View Post
                                My question is - why the jump to purchase instead of continuing to lease? It sounds like a win-win for you and your trainer. You can continue your growth on the horse, she gets the benefit of you putting good miles on the horse, but you're not tied into a horse that's potentially best limited to a 2' arena. Food for thought...?
                                That makes sense, especially considering that if the horse is really 1/2 TWH, his athletic potential may just be less than ideal.
                                One example, it may be harder to confirm in changes, if you get there at all.
                                TWH are known for wonderful dispositions and work ethic, but not being the most agile horses, compared with other horses bred for the more demanding physical tasks like jumping, that require a quick turn of foot.

Comment

Originally posted by RainWeasley View Post
                                  This might be a dumb question, but the people seeing lameness in the equitation video, can you point out the time signature of where you are seeing it and what you are seeing? I'm looking and looking, but I don't see anything beyond maybe a horse that needs to build up some fitness and get stronger in the hind and more balanced. Trying to figure out what I'm missing. The only thing I can see is that he seems to prefer his left lead, but I know plenty of sound horses that prefer one lead over another until they even out. I'm looking on a computer screen so it's large.

The gaited 3 year old looks lame to me, even at a gait. I can see that. I can't see it on this guy though. And I'd like to get a better eye for it, I'm always paranoid about my horse.
                                  What I was seeing, only time I watched the video when first posted, is one turn going away his right hock was not turning right, left behind and he had to pull himself.
                                  I assumed, along with the longer simple changes, that it was the half TWH at play there, if he inherited a little of the gaited, hind end pacing conformation.

When I have time later will look again.

You do know the video programs have functions where you can slow them down considerably and so see more of how the footfalls happen?
                                  That helps see so much more, that you then confirm when sped back up to normal, if it is reflected there also, not just the moment of the stride looking odd in slow motion.

We can take any horse and video apart, but then, the proof is in how it works for a rider and it's goals, no matter what may seem less than perfect there.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Jo View Post
                                    I appreciate the insight! My hesitation was I am only half leasing currently which means he was being used in lessons (before coming up lame) so any progress I was making was being undone when a less experienced rider got on him.
                                    But based on the ppe, the feedback y’all have given me and my own thinking I do believe a lease is a solid way to go. I would probably then pursue a full lease to get him into a solid conditioning program

Comment

Originally posted by RainWeasley View Post

When you are assessing lameness, you are watching the horse as a whole - not just one leg -- things like paying attention to the trot and upward transitions, as well as downward, how they move around turns, how they push off for a jump or what they do before a fence, how their tail and head are carried, how evenly their legs land, can all make the difference in detecting subtle lameness that are not as obvious as a limping leg. How they push off before a fence, and how they land - these are tiny clues that can tell you about onesidedness in the horse, weaknesses, or discomfort. These are signs of lameness. A weakness is a lameness.

Some parts of note:
                                      0:00 - 0:05 - you can see, that RH is landing straighter and shorter than LH - see how it bows out, then "slams" down?

0:05 - 0:07 - strung out canter, but watch the tail, and watch how that RH stifle will not "push off" for canter depart.

0:23 - first jump effort, watch the RH before all departs - the horse is making an effort to push off with his LH; watch the approach before all departs and see how he is "shuffling" to fit his LH down before takeoff. He is primarily pushing off with his LH to my eye.

0:25 + Watch the canter, how drastically different left lead canter is from right lead, where on right lead there is very little separation of the hinds in canter strides

0:52 - you can see there is some "stifley" action going on here around the turn, the landing of the leg is not smooth, the fetlock "snaps" back up soon as hoof lands, etc - this is indicative of a horse that is sorefooted behind;

1:08 - again watch the hind legs through the turn, very little separation of hind legs during canter, again horse pushes off to jump primarily with LH instead of RH, and lands on the wrong lead

Some things to watch over the fences, is how the horse "trails" the RH over the fence; part of it is natural due to how horses jump fences and what lead they are on, but the most obvious instance is around ~1:14, where he clears the fence and you can see he is not articulating his stifle fully and is instead "pulling" the RH along. He does this several times.

1:25 (easier to see, if you go to "slow mode" - watch how both hinds land almost at the same time mid canter stride)

1:27 Again around the turn, you see his fetlocks "snapping" and very little separation of hind legs around the turn; that tightness around the turn is indicative of some sort of soreness --

1:28 - 1:32 -- check out how he wont fully articulate the hind stifle right after the fence - see how short strided that RH (outside leg) is?

1:35 - watch the hind legs in the trot - that is a "stifley" trot - though he is also strung out.

1:44 + watch how far the LH circumducts inward to load off the RH

Re: the gaited 3 year old.. be careful - gaited horses are usually bred to "bob" their head like that, it is considered a good thing and a sign, iirc, of a park horse that is a pleasure to ride - it is not always a sign of lameness in those breeds.

I still think this horse is really nice. I would not say he is blatantly lame, but I could tell he is not quite 100% comfortable. I'd be curious to see what his stifles look like, because I do think he's battling some general weakness in that area.
                                      AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Originally posted by beowulf View Post

When you are assessing lameness, you are watching the horse as a whole - not just one leg -- things like paying attention to the trot and upward transitions, as well as downward, how they move around turns, how they push off for a jump or what they do before a fence, how their tail and head are carried, how evenly their legs land, can all make the difference in detecting subtle lameness that are not as obvious as a limping leg. How they push off before a fence, and how they land - these are tiny clues that can tell you about onesidedness in the horse, weaknesses, or discomfort. These are signs of lameness. A weakness is a lameness.

Some parts of note:
                                        0:00 - 0:05 - you can see, that RH is landing straighter and shorter than LH - see how it bows out, then "slams" down?

0:05 - 0:07 - strung out canter, but watch the tail, and watch how that RH stifle will not "push off" for canter depart.

0:23 - first jump effort, watch the RH before all departs - the horse is making an effort to push off with his LH; watch the approach before all departs and see how he is "shuffling" to fit his LH down before takeoff. He is primarily pushing off with his LH to my eye.

0:25 + Watch the canter, how drastically different left lead canter is from right lead, where on right lead there is very little separation of the hinds in canter strides

0:52 - you can see there is some "stifley" action going on here around the turn, the landing of the leg is not smooth, the fetlock "snaps" back up soon as hoof lands, etc - this is indicative of a horse that is sorefooted behind;

1:08 - again watch the hind legs through the turn, very little separation of hind legs during canter, again horse pushes off to jump primarily with LH instead of RH, and lands on the wrong lead

Some things to watch over the fences, is how the horse "trails" the RH over the fence; part of it is natural due to how horses jump fences and what lead they are on, but the most obvious instance is around ~1:14, where he clears the fence and you can see he is not articulating his stifle fully and is instead "pulling" the RH along. He does this several times.

1:25 (easier to see, if you go to "slow mode" - watch how both hinds land almost at the same time mid canter stride)

1:27 Again around the turn, you see his fetlocks "snapping" and very little separation of hind legs around the turn; that tightness around the turn is indicative of some sort of soreness --

1:28 - 1:32 -- check out how he wont fully articulate the hind stifle right after the fence - see how short strided that RH (outside leg) is?

1:35 - watch the hind legs in the trot - that is a "stifley" trot - though he is also strung out.

1:44 + watch how far the LH circumducts inward to load off the RH

Re: the gaited 3 year old.. be careful - gaited horses are usually bred to "bob" their head like that, it is considered a good thing and a sign, iirc, of a park horse that is a pleasure to ride - it is not always a sign of lameness in those breeds.

I still think this horse is really nice. I would not say he is blatantly lame, but I could tell he is not quite 100% comfortable. I'd be curious to see what his stifles look like, because I do think he's battling some general weakness in that area.
                                        That is super educational, thanks!

And I actually wasn't looking at the head of the gaited horse, I just noticed that his RH didn't step up nearly as much as his left, short striding. At least it looked like it to me.

Comment

My vet always starts a PPE by saying "all I am doing here is giving you a picture of this horse at this moment in time"...to my mind "failing" a flexion is not necessarily a reason to not buy. You just have to be realistic about your goals and what the horse may or may not be capable of at that moment in time. I have never once encountered a horse that didn't come up positive in at least one of the flexion tests to some degree--including both of my own. One of which was 3 when I bought her--the other 13. Heck, if you gave me flexion tests, I would trot off crippled.

I agree with those above that your goals might be lofty for this horse--not because I see a lameness in the video (I do not) but because 3'3 and Training level are serious jumps and knowing there are positive flexions before he has started that as a career gives me pause. But that does not mean he can't be serviceably sound at lower levels. Have you ever done 3'3 or Training? Do you KNOW you want that for yourself and your horse, or do you think it looks like fun and want to try it out?

Even serious jumps can be managed with a serviceably sound horse once or twice a year if, the rest of the time, you are jumping lower and competing at a lesser impact level. Do you have a burning need to tear up the cross country course? Are you planning to campaign every weekend, or just compete for fun over the course of a few shows a year?

I don't need you to answer all of these questions for me...but if you consider them for yourself you might find your answer as to whether to buy or lease longer while you wait for another to come along.

Comment

Working...
                                          X