Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

_MG_4777-HDR
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Buying First Trailer - Looking for Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying First Trailer - Looking for Advice

It has become clear to me that I need to buy my own trailer so that I can practice trailer loading with my horse. I've been wanting one for a while now anyway, so I am pretty sure that I am going to do it. I already have a tow vehicle that I can use.

I know that I need a straight load, warmblood size. Any opinions on the advantage of a side ramp in addition to the rear ramp? I know most people like the side ramp for easier unloading, but any thoughts on whether it would help in working with a "problem loader" to load better because it's more open feeling and you can just walk right through while you're training the horse initially?

I prefer having the side ramp for safety. Moving forward is always safer than moving backward and is more comfortable for the horse.

That being said if loading is an issue you want to use as many different trailers as you can because you will eventually find yourself needing to load on a trailer that isn’t yours.
    Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
    you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

Before you start focusing on the details of what trailer you want, make sure you know what your vehicle can safely tow. You didn't mention what you will be towing with (does it have a tow package? Not just a trailer hitch-). Maybe you've already done all of your homework on this front, you didn't specify either way (if so, carry on and disregard my post!), but since you said this will be your first trailer, I just wanted to pause for a minute to make sure you have your critical ducks in a row before debating between what trailer features you might want.

Comment

Originally posted by She's Pure Gold View Post
        Before you start focusing on the details of what trailer you want, make sure you know what your vehicle can safely tow. You didn't mention what you will be towing with (does it have a tow package? Not just a trailer hitch-). Maybe you've already done all of your homework on this front, you didn't specify either way (if so, carry on and disregard my post!), but since you said this will be your first trailer, I just wanted to pause for a minute to make sure you have your critical ducks in a row before debating between what trailer features you might want.
        I’m happy to brought this up. I always feel a bit queasy seeing a Jeep Wrangler tow a trailer, even if it is technically within the towing capacity. Barely.

I would say your advantage to having only a rear load compared to adding a side load would be price. If money is no object, I’d go for all the bells and whistles.

Comment

She's Pure Gold has a good point. Check the tow capacity of the hitch on your vehicle (should be a label on there) and compare to the tow capacity of the vehicle - go with whatever is LOWER in weight.

Do you have trailer electronic brake assist already installed in your vehicle? If not, you need to get this done. These apply the trailer brakes when you apply the foot pedal brake in your vehicle (its a bit more complex than that, but just in general that's what they do).

All trailers should have a (usually) metal tag on them with curb weight, tongue weight, max capacity weight, etc. Pay very close attention to theses numbers. Remember that add-ons like thick mats, saddle racks and assorted fixtures may have been added after-market and add weight, as does tack, totes, supplies, etc., on top of the actual weight of the horse.

So use all that to narrow it down and then go with the trailer with the best features for the $s. But having something you can safely tow is the most important.
          ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Unless you get a true 2+1, I don't think it is worth the extra length for the side ramp. Most people I know who have had those have gotten rid of them. I'd definitely not compromise dressing room space for side ramp space--but I have lots and lots of things. All the things, in fact.

I got my first trailer not too long ago and took the plunge on a 2H straight load XT/XW gooseneck. Very glad I did. Super easy to maneuver going forwards and backwards and better in the snow (which is a factor where I'm from). I pull it with a Ram 1500 Diesel. My horse already at the point of self unloading, and very close to automatically self-loading since I got the trailer.

One other random thing to note...make sure that when you are practicing loading that you have the trailer hooked up to a vehicle. It can be dangerous otherwise!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by She's Pure Gold View Post
              Hi, yes, I have looked into this but thanks for checking!

I have a Ford F150 that has a GVWR of 7450 lbs. It has a full tow package already on it -- hitch, electronic braking. I know that the GVWR limits me more than a truck with more capacity would, but it's what I have so I have to make it work. And yes, I'm aware that CW says buy the trailer first and then the truck, but the truck has been here for several years already.

And I will need the trailer to be a bumper pull. I would love to get a gooseneck but it's my husband's truck and he's not interested in drilling a hole in his truck bed!

Comment

Honestly that trunk sounds like it probably doesn't have enough payload for a gooseneck anyways so your husband is right to nix that even if for different reasons. I would also look closely on how much weight is being added if you're considering a side ramp.

Comment

I've never seen a straight load that's not a 2+1 or 4 horse with a side ramp - let alone a BP - I did check online and they do exist though! If I was hauling with a half-ton truck, I personally wouldn't waste the weight and length on a side ramp. In regards to making it easier for training, you'll get 100 different thoughts from 100 different people

Comment

Since you already own the truck, you might as well confirm your tow capacity. Just write down the VIN and plug it into one of the search engines.

I suspect you don't have a massive capacity, and won't want to commit to the extra weight necessary to get a front ramp, especially if you also want a dressing room.

Bockmann makes a lightweight Euro style trailer with a front unload, called the Portax K. I doubt you need to go that route with an F150, but it might be worth a look.

If you go with a front ramp, make sure you see the actual turning radius to get the horse out. Some of them are rather sharp turns (especially for the horse on the same side as the ramp). I've seen a few whack hips getting out that way.

Comment

I wouldn't waste the length or weight on a side ramp. Get the tallest, whitest on the inside, biggest windows, biggest escape doors you can find/afford. I personally hate mangers and will always want a walk-thru. Pretty much anything that makes it look the least like a dark cave for your horse getting into it.

I had a Hawk that I really loved. Giant windows on every side. Including a large one (with bars across it on the horse side) between the tack room and the horse compartment. It was the airiest, brightest bumper pull trailer other than a stock trailer that I've ever seen.

If you're dealing with a problematic loader, and you want a ramp, you're going to want the ramp over a full height door. There is nothing worse than sketchy loader who changes his mind about staying put while you close the ramp when the ramp is the bottom half of the door. I've seen people and horses get pretty badly hurt in that scenario. I had a OTTB that never got good about loading. I broke my foot when he took exception to the ramp being closed in his peripheral vision. He learned that day he didn't have to stay in the trailer, and I was too hurt to fix it right then and there.

Comment

I agree with the crowd about not limiting yourself to a bumper pull with a side ramp. Side ramps are great for certain designs: 2+1, head-to-head, even 2H straight GN. But the ones they put on bumper pulls tend to be narrower, steeper, and/or eat up otherwise useful space. The BP models that have well-designed, full size side ramps are usually very large trailers (or sacrifice the dressing room). I tow with a 1/2 ton truck, too, but I'm not sure I'd want to be towing a heavy BP trailer that's 18'+ in length.

Instead, I might seek out a tall, airy, inviting trailer without the side ramp.
                        Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Side ramps would be nice, but if you opt for a completely open floor plan, you should be fine. My Turnbow is 7'6", and a little wider than usual, with a ramp. No mangers! Each side has a full-length escape door for me, and the butt bars swing free so that you can shove it all the way over if you need to.

That said, I don't know if I would want to pull a 7' 6" trailer as a bumper pull. Mine is a gooseneck and it's so lovely to pull - you never even know it's back there. If it were me, I'd invest in a 3/4 ton truck with a gooseneck hitch, too. I can't imagine trying to pull it as a bumper pull, though.

Comment

I have a straight load bumper pull 2 horse with a side unload ramp. I LOVE it. The side ramp is worth every extra penny I paid for it and can't imagine ever buying another trailer without one.

Mine is an Equispirit and I opted for the tack closet rather than the full dressing room, which reduces the required length.

Most of the negative comments people are making about having a side ramp on a 2 horse bumper pull trailer are not true, based on my experience.
                            "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                            that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

I have a Böckmann I pull with an SUV and I adore it! It's a Champion model, so no front ramp, but my mare loves to travel and is a breeze to load/unload.

if you're interested in the Euro type 2 horses, there's a Portax K (with the front ramp) for a steal (2017 for $17k CAD) in Ontario right now.

Comment

Originally posted by MegBackInSaddle View Post
                                I have a Böckmann I pull with an SUV and I adore it! It's a Champion model, so no front ramp, but my mare loves to travel and is a breeze to load/unload.

if you're interested in the Euro type 2 horses, there's a Portax K (with the front ramp) for a steal (2017 for $17k CAD) in Ontario right now.
                                My tb who will walk onto my trailer with zero hesitation has planted his feet when asking to go into one of these trailers. I would perhaps not recommend them for a horse that isn’t easy to load.

Comment

Based on my experience with a problem loader the side ramp is a big help in training. However, when I was looking last year for a used trailer I passed on all the Rice trailers with front unload ramps because they had one teeny, tiny window at about chest height in the front and no other windows.

My list of things to have included big windows, man doors on both sides (iffy loaders will often be happier and they can stick their head out the man door once inside), ramp, solid bum bars (not McBride style chains with S hooks), a swinging divider, and for nice to haves more than five feet wide, tack room, and no centre post at the back.

Each item came from my own experiences with various horses and trailers which provided me with preferences and concerns. I didn't get everything, but I am pleased with what I did get.

Comment

I just sold my GN Trail-Et, which was designed by the now Equispirit guys. I can't say enough about how good that design is, and if I get another trailer it will be Equispirit or Hawk, purely for design and safety. Ramps are HEAVY, and I liked having the ramp be the back wall with two dutch doors above -- saved weight (not having full length doors plus ramp) and allowed me to open the dutch doors for ventilation if I needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by c0608524 View Post

My tb who will walk onto my trailer with zero hesitation has planted his feet when asking to go into one of these trailers. I would perhaps not recommend them for a horse that isn’t easy to load.
                                      interesting. Wonder what it was that bothered him? I can't judge by my mare, because she's easy, but the trailers seem bright, airy, and have either (both) a nice long ramp or a step-up.

Comment

I would suggest at least getting something with an escape door, if not a full door at the front. Mine is just a plain 7' tall two horse bumper pull, it has the hay manger at the front with the little tack area underneath it. I bought it super cheap from a friend, and it does the job, but it's a pain in the butt to load into. My horse had a bad experience loading with some well-intending people involving a chain lead, and he won't send into it now. We worked on it a TON, he would happily follow me into it but that isn't exactly possible without an escape door. I would KILL for one now, I have to stand at the window at the front and ask him to step in that way for now which is a bit of a pain since I can't encourage him from up there if he gets sticky. So definitely something with an escape door.

We aren't trailering anywhere right now so I'm not too fussed about it, he loads well enough to get him on in an emergency. But as soon as I am able I am going to get something I can actually walk up into with him.

Comment

Working...
                                        X