Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

CR groom space
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Ladies watch for riding and the rest of life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve had this Fossil for ten years. Replaced the battery a few times. Wear it in the shower. I probably have worn it swimming a time or two. It isn’t especially helpful for doing timed trots and canters.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

I am now completely addicted to my Apple Watch. Rolex is collecting dust in my drawer unless I go somewhere fancy, which isn’t often.

Comment

I am allergic to many metal bands, so I have settled on an Armitron sports watch. It looks decent, has many functions, is water resistant (have worn it to 80' depth scuba diving), and holds up to abuse. The band does crack eventually, though.

Comment

I'd look through the latest smart watches from Samsung, Apple, and Garmin.

I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR (I think) and I've had it for a few years now. It is so durable. It's been banged around, out in the dust and dirt, swam with, showered with, and whatever else, but it keeps going and the battery life is great. It is not so flattering, however. It's also a bit bulky on my rather petite wrists, and looks out of place when I dress anything beyond causual. Most people have gotten used to the look of smart watches, so I don't fret too much, but it's not an elegant piece. It's functional. The smart watch brands I mentioned above have since come out with newer models that may be more aesthetically appealing than mine.

Being able to glance at the weather, text messages, or calls without taking out or keeping my phone directly on me is nice too.

Comment

Put me in the camp of thinking you want an Apple watch or other similar smartwatch. I thought they were dumb...until I got one. It is indispensable for working around the farm and riding.
            Here Be Dragons: My blog about venturing beyond the lower levels as a dressage amateur.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, I ended up with a Fitbit. I may well upgrade to an Apple watch but, you know, baby steps. I am enjoying the activity tracking features, and I have to admit I really like the digital time display, which seems weird. It's not attractive, but I always have my phone with me so can use that to tell time if I don't want to wear a watch.

I actually have a Rolex, but it's old enough that it is the small face version and I have trouble reading it with my 61 year old eyes. My daughter is currently using it. I previously had a Tag Heuer and liked it but it wasn't very durable for the price. At this point in my life I don't care enough to spend thousands of dollars on a watch.

Comment

Haha I was going to say I have a tag heuer that's going on 15 yrs but can't read the face anymore without my glasses. So I have fit bit and love the giant time display I will prob upgrade to Samsung watch eventually.

Comment

I almost never wore a watch at home, but have just gotten an Apple Watch 4. So far I love it. I bought it because it has fall detection and I usually ride alone and I live alone. It has also guilted me into getting on my elliptical trainer to get those activity rings closed....... (it measures how active I am throughout the day, and counts steps......)

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by lorilu View Post
                    I almost never wore a watch at home, but have just gotten an Apple Watch 4. So far I love it. I bought it because it has fall detection and I usually ride alone and I live alone. It has also guilted me into getting on my elliptical trainer to get those activity rings closed....... (it measures how active I am throughout the day, and counts steps......)
                    It has fall detection? Tell me more. What does it do if you fall? I worry about riding alone at my farm, but it's often hard to get rides in if I wait for my husband to be here.

Comment

I have a Baby G Shock:
                      https://www.amazon.com/s?k=baby+g+shock&ref=nb_sb_noss

I don't consider it ugly although I wouldn't say it's beautiful either. But it's tough and I can read the numbers with old eyes!
                      "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

Originally posted by stb View Post

It has fall detection? Tell me more. What does it do if you fall? I worry about riding alone at my farm, but it's often hard to get rides in if I wait for my husband to be here.
                        When someone at my barn fell off, it called 911.
                        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Originally posted by stb View Post

I am so glad someone mentioned this. I googled it and came up with this:
                          https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208944

As a person of advanced age, I think I may have to get an Apple watch!

Comment

I have the $20 Walmart black rubber digital sport watch. I've never been able to make the stopwatch features work in the saddle but the digital seconds display is absolutely necessary for doing trot sets.

I've ended up wearing it to work because can't be bothered and all my proper ladies watches have worn out. Plus actually I really like the precision now

If I was going to spend any money on something for my wrist honestly I think the Apple watch or similar has to be the way to go.

Comment

Those of you with the Apple watches, do you have the GPS only or GPS+Cellular?

I swear that if I end up doing timed rehab with my horse's latest injury (short version - he stepped on a rock; longer version - bone bruise plus irritated collateral ligaments plus something minor but strange going on with the DDFT) that I'm going to buy myself an Apple watch. Kind of lazy because I could just carry my phone and say "Hey Siri set timer for 2 minutes."
                              The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

• Original Poster

So, after finding out about the fall detection feature I bought an Apple watch. Love it! I bought the GPS + cellular, but I'm not really sure the cellular is necessary. We will see, I guess. Thanks, lorilu, for letting me in on the watch features. I'm thinking this is going to be a game changer, since I will feel more comfortable riding when I am the only one home.

Comment

Working...
                                X