Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

CR groom space
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

How far away is your barn/boarding facility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horse 1 is 20 minutes from home and about 15 from work. Horse 2 is around 50 feet from the house and 25 minutes from work.

Comment

Spring/Summer/Fall the horses are 12-15 minutes from my house depending on school buses.

Winter the horses are ~40 minutes from my house, and I hit some traffic commuting from there to work in the morning.

Comment

140' from house to barn.

Comment

50 yards.

Comment

I have been driving 90 miles each way (round trip of 3 hours) - I am now looking for a new barn within a 30 minute drive (each way).

Comment

Originally posted by MsB View Post
              I have been driving 90 miles each way (round trip of 3 hours) - I am now looking for a new barn within a 30 minute drive (each way).
              I feel your pain. I just moved from 40 minutes away to 90 miles. Roundtrip ranges from 3 hours with no traffic to 4 hours. It's worth it for the excellent training, but not a long term situation.

Comment

5 minutes away but I only make it to the barn 3 days a week as I typically travel Mon-Thurs (so ride Fri-Sun).

I start a new project next week that's local though so fingers crossed the hours aren't insane and I can actually ride some weekday mornings! Unfortunately the project is supposedly going to be very intense though so I'm not getting my hopes up too high

Comment

Barn is 100' from the house. Work is 40 minutes from house/barn.

Comment

My barn is about 5 minutes away from home (about a half hour from work, but I go home to change anyway so eh). I had considered moving barns to a place about 20 min away because they have better turnout, but I love the nearness of my current spot and the ladies that I board with are fantastic (and my cushings pony doesn't need grass pasture anyway...).

I go pretty much every day to get some mental therapy with the pony and stuff a pill in her mouth If I lived farther away I'd probably have to pay someone to give the meds, because I wouldn't be able to be there all the time (at my current place there are a couple boarders that I can usually rely on to give meds for me if I'm out of town or something).

The place I boarded at in NY was about 20 minutes from school, 40 min from home. I went 2-3 times a week (the pony also wasn't on daily meds at the time).

And when I *thought* I was moving to KS this summer the boarding places were all a half hour or more from the area I would have lived in.

Comment

My barn is 45 minutes from home (~35 miles) and anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half from my office depending on traffic (~55 miles). My goal for the quieter months at work is to be out there at least four times a week (usually Friday and one day of the weekend, plus a couple other days scattered through the week), but I work in public accounting so sometimes I can only go out on the weekends and I have to be willing to be flexible about it.

I'd love to keep my boy closer to home, but a friend of mine owns the barn where I have him boarded and it's a really great situation, so until I'm one day able to buy property and move him home (and get him a friend or two) he's probably going to stay there, as annoying at the drive is after a long day at work. The odds of me getting a job closer to the barn are significantly higher than the odds of me moving him closer to home/my office until I can actually move him onto my own theoretical future property.

My first barn was 25 minutes from home and I'd love to have that again, but it's hard to pass up keeping him somewhere where I know the care is good, I'm welcome to come and go as I please, and I'm involved in decisions about what to do next at the farm/what kind of jumps we should build, etc. etc. etc. just to keep him a little closer for a while.

Comment

20 mins currently. We have been as far as 2 hrs, and that was during a period of time that we were both insanely busy with our jobs (military) and we weren't happy with the options local. He basically went to a friend to ride 3 to 4 days a week, and a we got there at least once a week.

Now that our horses are only 20 mins away, and I work remote, I am there at least once a day. Sometimes twice. Or I just bring the dogs since the owners have let us park our camper trailer there for me to work out of during the day. Then I can go ride, do barn chores, work, ride again and feed lunch hay, work, and watch my husband ride when he gets done work. Or just hang out. We love the farm we are at.

Comment

As of right now, my mare is 100 feet from my front door. Hopefully, she will be back in work July 1. Then it will be a 1 hour drive or a little more if I drive the back roads. When maresy is in training I ride 5 days a week.
                          Last edited by Essie; May. 23, 2019, 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling.....

Comment

My home barn is out my back door. I have one horse boarded across the county so I could ride this winter, and I'm driving ~35 to 45 minutes one way for him. Debating whether to bring him home as I'm enjoying the training where he is at but the drive is about to get much worse with an upcoming major construction project between here and there. I'm going 5 or 6 days a week right now. Might change if he stays there as the drive is already killing me, and if it gets longer and more frustrating, I don't think I can stand it so often.

Comment

About 20 min from home (sometimes less...:P) and only 5 minutes from work! The drive is boring and feels long but its really not bad. I pop in about 6 days a week, and even if I don't ride I stop in after work since its so close.

Comment

The barn where my horses live is 12km down the road from my house. The barn I work a (marketing) is 47 minutes away.

Comment

I'm 11 minutes from the barn. 16 if there's a train. Work is all over, but unfortunately in the opposite direction from the barn.

Comment

My barn is 10 min door to door from my house. My work is 1.5 to 2 hours away if traffic is good - it's over 80km south of my house. I get to the barn 5 to 6 days a week currently.

Comment

I work 9 miles south of home. The barn is 10 miles west of home. Work to the barn is 19 miles. I go to the barn twice during the work week, and both Saturday and Sunday.
                                      Proud member of Appendix QH clique

Comment

40 to 45 minutes from home, 90 ish minutes from work. I'm there 3 to 5 times a week. Usually go before work... but I work 32 hours a week, and have a lot of flexibility in my work hours.
                                        You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

10 minutes! We lease the land from DHs parents. When I was living in the ‘big’ city and boarding my two is was easily a 20 minute drive with no traffic. I have an hour commute to work now. I think I spent more time at the barn when it was farther away!
                                          https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

Comment

Working...
                                          X