Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

105 DSCN0687
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Two horses - one name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too bad the new Buddy isn't the palomino or he could just be Pal. Doesn't sound the same but at least it's a synonym.

At our barn we tend to just through descriptors in front of duplicate names. We once had three Sox/Socks, two Rockys, and three Jesse/Jessies at the same time (plus horse & cat duos named Bert & Shadow)...life was complicated. The Rockys were the easiest because one was a donkey. The Socks/Sox were all different colors so we just dubbed them after baseball teams...Bay, Red, and White. The Jesse/Jessies were harder because all were bays so it was Big Jesse, Little Jesse, and Girl Jessie.

Comment

Originally posted by stb View Post
      Lots of good ideas here. Buddy One is palomino. He is also known as Mr. B and Bud (I am a nickname giver). Buddy Two is chestnut. Buddy Two seems to know his name, so I feel bad about changing it too much. However, it is much two confusing to have two Buddies. It's just too wordy to try to explain which Buddy I am talking about. It seems cumbersome.

I also call all geldings Buddy. Also all male dogs and my grandson. Called my son Buddy when he was little too. Just to add to the confusion.

I'm thinking he looks a bit like a Teddy. We may try that on for size. It's close enough to sound similar but different enough that it is easy to hear the distinction if you are talking to another human. I appreciate all the great ideas. Keep them coming.
      If you call all geldings Buddy, then really all you need is a name to identify him to other people, not really to address him. Him 'knowing' the new name isn't as big of a deal, right?

Comment

We had a Handy and a Handyman.
        They each knew their name..
        Guess they sound different to a horse?

Buddy and Buddyman, or Buddynsky?

Comment

Buddy and Bubbly?

Comment

A friend pointed out that I sound like Ryan Gosling when I address mares. "Hey, girl." I think I call geldings "big guy" or "handsome" most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulligan314 View Post

If you call all geldings Buddy, then really all you need is a name to identify him to other people, not really to address him. Him 'knowing' the new name isn't as big of a deal, right?
              ^^^ yup. Call him Buddy day to day, but let the farrier and vet, etc. have a different name on the paperwork.
              "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

We have 2 Buddys, 2 Royals and 2 Rascals at our barn.
                There's Buddy-the-Elder and Buddy-the-Younger, Big Rascal and Little Rascal, and Royalism and Royal Court Jester.
                For the 2 Royals, Royalism and Royal Court Jester are their real names, with Royal being the barn name for each.

To make it more exciting, the two Royals go out together and are best buds.

Comment

Bud.
                  Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Mulligan314 View Post

True. I hadn't thought of that. Love the Tony the Pony name. I recently saw a pony mare named Bonita Ponyta. Best. Name. Ever.

Comment

All good suggestions! Pick one.

Actually - I bought an unnamed horse off a ranch. He was such a gem temperament wise and one day I was scritching his bottom and said to myself "You are such a buddy". I ran into the house to phone a dear friend whose husband was Bud, but recently departed, and asked her how she felt if I called this horse Buddy. She said she would be delighted and Bud would be honoured. And so he became Buddy. It is a feel good name.
                      Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

We ended up with two Gibbs at the barn, just added Mr to mine, Gibbs and Mr Gibbs.

I agree with Wanderosa I tend to call the geldings “big guy” or “handsome”

OR

Something a lot worse when he has lost ANOTHER shoe
                        "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

Muddy, and hopefully it will turn out ironic and he will always stay clean

Comment

What if the name means substantially the same as Buddy? Partner, Podna (slang of Partner), Wingman, Fellow, Amigo, etc. Have even heard "Biffle" for BFFL "best friends for life".

I probably wouldn't use a name that is a commonly used word or phrase around the barn such as 'friend', just because it gets confusing.

Comment

You could go gaelic and call the bigger (or older) one Buddy Mor and the smaller (or younger) one Buddy Og.

At one time I had four boarder horses all named Joker. I called them by their owners' last names (Joker Smith, Joker Jones etc) but that's no help for you, sorry!

Comment

Budreaux
                                "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                                carolprudm

Comment

We had a Buddy and a Buddy B for a while. Buddy was our horse, and Buddy B was a client's horse.
                                  Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

I read that dogs hear the major vowel sounds in a word more than the consonant, so perhaps horses are the same. On those lines, you could change the second Buddy's name to something that rhymed so that he would still respond to his name. Because he's a chestnut, I thought Ruddy might work. Or you could just change Buddy a bit, to maybe Buddy Boy or Budlee.
                                    "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                                      Ime most horses don't know their names. They do recognize voice, tone and commands and whistles.
                                      Your personal estimation is wrong. Horses and ponies do know their names when they are addressed often enough (like any other sentient creature) to connect the sound of the name being pronounced to they themselves, and most respond to it, albeit some in subtle ways that may be harder to detect by unobservant people.

To the OP - whatever name you decide to give the new horse (Teddy is a nice pick), use it often, multiple times, especially starting every sentence when you are interacting with him, and he'll quickly learn that that name means him, and him alone.

Comment

Could you ask the previous owners if Buddy II had any nicknames with them that you might like to use?

Comment

We had two Queens, so one ended up Queen and the other Queenie. I don't change horse names because mine know them. In your case OP would go with Bud and Buddy.
                                          Just like our eyes, our hearts have a way of adjusting to the dark.--Adam Stanley

Comment

Working...
                                          X