Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

Grand 2 story entry
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

What time do you get home from the barn during the week?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can either go to the barn from work at 5-ish (40-60 minute drive to barn), in which case I get home around 9, or I can go home and have dinner with my family and then go to barn, in which case I get home around 10:30. If I go home, I will get sucked into the black hole of chauffeuring kids, fussing over the much-beloved geriatric dog, sorting the mail, being a supportive spouse, etc. so usually not able to ride on those nights, though I usually run out to the barn (26 minute drive) to give the fella a pat, groom, worry about why he isn't eating his grain, etc.

Working full time, kids, spouse, commuting, and horse makes things alittle crazy (for me). It's not sustainable, but I just don't want to give up the horse thing.

Comment

Depends on the season. I have a minimum of an hour drive, depending on traffic.

In fall and spring when the sun goes down early I race to get up there about 3:30, and tack up like the pony express to get an outside ride in before it gets dark. Do a better curry/brush after. And since it is cool and I don't have to wash him and wait for him to dry, I get home about 6:30 or 7:00.

When I am stuck in the indoor for the winter, and in the summer when I enjoy the late light, I get there 5ish, get home 9:00 or 10:00. I can avoid the kiddy/pony crown that way too. (Nice kids but I work with kids all day and need a break.)

DH totally understands. He is a former marathoner who still works out 2 or 3 hours a day.

Comment

I'm not done at work until 5:30 or later (no flexibility due to the type of deadlines/product). I bring clothes to change so I don't have to go home in between. It's half an hour one way to the barn. Usually it's the late 8 PM hour or after 9 PM when I get home.
        Flickr

Comment

I finish work at 5pm. At the horses by 5:20 and on by about 5:40. We are heading into winter, and although I have lights there is no indoor, so it is getting a bit chilly now so I ride for about 30-40mins. So off by about 6:20. By the time I finish up it is about 6:45 and I have a 5 min drive home.

I am lucky to live in a country town so everything is close. The above would never worked if I still lived in Sydney and had to travel 45min each way on a good traffic day.

Comment

I'm so incredibly lucky to have my guy boarded a mere 15 min away. On days I work morning shift I'm at the barn a bit before 5 and home by 7:30 or so. When I work evenings I'm at the barn by 10:30am and back for 1 in time to chill out a bit before getting ready for work.

I'm equally lucky to have a self sufficient hubby and no children! Just a lemon of a kitty.

Comment

I usually get to the barn around 5:15 +/- 15 min after work. Tack and ride 6-7, Clean up, leave the barn between 8 and 8:15, get home between 9:15 and 9:30. Then I spend until about 11:00 with my elderly father (too complex of a system to do it justice on this thread). I'm chronically sleep deprived.

The BO's bought their own property and we're scheduled to move soon. It will cut 15 minutes off my commute from work and a good 25 minutes off my drive home. It doesn't sound like a lot but I can't wait.
              "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple Barry Switzer

Comment

I didn't vote because my horses are at home. I still don't get "home" from the barn until about 6 or 7 usually. I can't imagine getting off of work at a normal hour (5ish) and commuting a far distance daily to and fro. That's commitment!

Comment

I sometimes don't leave school until 7 p.m. And I tend to get anxious when I think I won't get enough sleep, so heading to the barn during the week is really hard for me. I have discovered that going home first is not a good idea because there is always something that pops up and turns into a time sucker.

If I could just get my husband's transportation issues fixed, I would have my car back for my dedicated use. Then I would leave school by 5 p.m. three days a week, be on by 5:45-ish and home by 7:45.
                  Sheilah

Comment

I'm also lucky that I can work pretty flexible hours, on barn days I put in 8-9 hours and work longer days when I don't go to the barn

On barn days I'm either..
                    1. at work by 6am and leave by 3pm to avoid traffic (45 min commute 35 miles to barn from dowtown)
                    at barn and changed by 4pm
                    Leave around 6pm
                    Home at 6:30pm (24 miles - 35 min commute)
                    OR
                    2. at barn by 6am
                    leave by 8am (45 min commute into downtown)
                    Changed and at my desk by 9am
                    Leave work at 6pm
                    Home by 6:20pm!

Comment

I don’t commute to the barn (keep horses at home). However, I voted 8-9 because that’s what time I get in after I get home, change clothes, ride, clean tack, do whatever chores need to be done associated with the horses, groom the two I’m not riding, etc. If I don’t ride, it’s around 6:00.

I applaud those of you who have long commutes and find time to ride and keep everything organized. That takes a lot of effort.
                      Last edited by seabreeze; May. 16, 2019, 08:53 AM.
                      "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

I am pretty lucky, this winter I moved my horses and started a new job. The barn is about 5 mins from my house and about 2 from work. I will go visit and do blanket changes on my lunch. But, I don't get off work till 4:30, and most days I have other things going on, so I don't ride on evenings a lot. When I have time I will do a quick lunge, and grooming session. The barn closes at 8, so no matter what I do, I have to be gone by then.

As a kid, the closet barn was over 45 mins away from my home, and the school was about an hour. I would have to take the bus home, then meet my mom who got off work at about the same time, then we would go to the barn together. Most nights we didn't get home until about 10pm. I am so lucky that my mom put in so much effort and time to get me to the barn.

Comment

I don't go into work until 2pm, so I ride around 11:00am and get to enjoy the sun year round. Second shift is a wonderful thing if you're a horse owner.
                          "Do what you can't do"

Comment

I worked a compressed schedule (730a-430p 4 days a week, 730a-330p/off alternating weeks for remaining day) barn was an hour away on a good day, hour and half to two hours on a bad day, especially if it rained. If all the stars aligned, I could get home around 9, but there were plenty of nights I got home around 10-1030. If I had stayed on at that job we were talking about boarding close to work/home and trailering to my trainers, still would have 1-2 long nights a week but then I chose to go back to grad school so its all moot

Comment

I'm usually the one shutting the lights off in the barn when I leave.

Work days - I get home from work at about 5:40, have a quick snack, put in contact lenses and get changed. Try to be walking out the door for about 6:15. Half hour drive to the barn so I would arrive around 6:45/7pm. On days when I have to work the next morning I only ride one horse, but then have to grab the second one to feed, so I'm not usually driving away much before 10. On nights when I don't have to get up early the next morning, I try to ride both horses. I'm usually hopping on the second one around 9:30, ride 30-40 minutes, leave the barn between 10:30 and 11.

I could go straight from work, which would get me out to the barn about 45 minutes earlier. Home is between work and the barn, and I don't like wearing my contacts to work, so I prefer to stop off at home. Plus it keeps me from stopping for fast food on the way.

Comment

I voted between 9-10 pm, although that depends on the time of year. During the busy season at work I generally don't get to the barn before 6:30. At the moment I have 2 horses to ride, the world's best baby WB and my TB. I can get them both done in about 3 hours if I don't putter around chatting with people and if there are no issues to work through during the rides (I'm looking at you, sassy older TB.......best baby WB would NEVER have your opinions). Work to home is about a 15-20 minute commute and home to barn is 20-25 minutes. I stop at home in between to change, get a snack, and pick up the dog. During the fall/winter I don't normally work past 5 p.m. and I only have one horse to ride, so I'm at the barn by 6, usually home around 8 or so.

I try to save any extra stuff like tack cleaning/mane pulling/clipping etc. for Sundays, when I do morning barn chores and end up being there for 5-6 hours. And that's usually when I plan to have a more intensive ride since my normal Sunday morning riding buddies are very good eyes on the ground.
                                I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

I usually get home between 630-7 during the week.

My work is a 45 min commute and barn is halfway home. I have two horses and usually only ride one at a time during the week because I'm zapped after work. During summer, I go to the barn 2-3 days during the week and I'm more likely to linger after riding when it's warm and light out yet.

Comment

Working...
                                  X