Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

01 Aerial front of House and property
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Which horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which horse?

I just bought a horse around 2 months ago. She is still young, only 6 years old and a bit inexperienced but still a good horse. I was told by my instructor that I should maybe switch to a new horse because it will take half a year to a whole year until I can start competing. I want to compete, and I’m not sure if I can wait that long. I’m not really attached to her yet so I’m not sure if I should switch. I’m not really experienced yet, and my horse isn’t either, so I don’t think that would be a good pair. My instructor also said that the other horse is older and more experienced than my horse. If I’m willing to wait and if I don’t mind which horse, I should probably not switch but I think I do want to, but the other horse will cost a bit more money. What should I do?

I would listen to your instructor if you want to be showing sooner rather than later. The advice is solid - a green horse and a green rider together are usually not a good match. Sure, there are exceptions, but often it ends up being a long road and a struggle. The older and more experienced horse is probably ready to go to shows already and will allow you to focus and work on preparing yourself rather than trying to also train a young horse. You will also likely be safer and able to have good, confidence building experiences at the shows rather than accidents or disappointment.
    Flickr

Comment

Could you not have your young horse to train up and maybe lease or half lease an older experienced one to compete with?

ETA just read the part that you aren't experienced either. I would definitely go with the older one then, let the green horse go to someone who can bring them along efficiently. Training young horses can be very rewarding but you won't be going out to compete for a while, and when you do go it will have to be entirely focusing on having good easy experiences for the horse, even if that means unloading, walking around and leaving. You won't be able to just focus on yourself and your riding.

Comment

We don’t know you or the horse. Your instructor does. Best choice here is listen to your instructor if your goals are to compete. If she’s suggesting a horse to you, she very likely can sell your Greenie pretty quick and easy to maybe even trade with you outright.

Making up a Greenie when you are a Green yourself means neither one of you knows how and there’s only so much a trainer teaching you twice a week can do without getting on and training the horse. Plus that, you have no idea if the horse will be able to compete well or not with a lot of months of board, vet, farrier and lessons, maybe Pro rides if you get stuck ahead of you. The months add up big time bucks without getting you into the show ring.

Your choice but think you are going to be a lot happier and have more fun with that older BTDT horse to teach you the ropes. Later on, there’s always a good market for that kind of horse and you can sell him and get yourself a project Greenie after you learn what you are doing well enough to teach the horse.
        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Why not keep your younger horse and compete on a horse your instructor has while your horse is learning? If the older horse belongs to your instructor or one of her clients I would be suspicious.

Comment

I assume if the OP could have both horses, there would not have been this question?

In general, a well trained experienced show horse is who will teach you best how to show.
            The right horse for that, not just any show horse.
            Some show horses are not easy to show, others just right for someone to learn with.

Comment

A few questions for you, OP -

Why did you buy this horse specifically (the greenish 6yo)? Did you have help finding this horse/arranging the purchase? If you did, was it with people you are working with now (or was it different professionals/trainers/etc)? What components are going into the 6-12 month timeline (what skills are you being told you/horse need to acquire before you can show)?

In general it is typically not a bad idea for a less experienced rider to buy a horse with more experience and education. Learning what you are doing when you are not also trying to teach a horse (teaching them something you also don't know) is generally easier. This is one reason why people advise green riders avoid green horses.

All that said: I am curious why this conversation didn't happen prior to the purchase of the green horse. That was a discussion that should have occurred. ("What are your goals?" "I want to show." "This horse is green and hasn't shown before - are you willing to show LATER as opposed to this season?") If you bought the horse on your own (or under guidance/supervision of individuals you're no longer working with - or even against advice of the professional, which is fine, it's happened before) and are realizing now that what you thought you were getting into isn't the reality of the situation, you aren't the first and you won't be the last. It isn't wrong to sell a horse that you're a poor fit for (skills, goals, temperaments, etc, may not line up), but do be sure that you ask the right questions before selling/buying the next one so you don't end up with a revolving door repeating this pattern.

Comment

Yeeeeaaaaahhh not enough info. I ask to understand how you feel about current horse..what made you buy it?? How do you feel about potential horse? You do not mention how well you know or how you feel about potential horse. Again if instructor financially benefits from you changing horses I would be suspicious. Here is a thought...take current horse to a show just to hang out on the grounds and see how she reacts being at a show before deciding anything. Again just asking to try and get informed..Have you ever shown? If not start on older horse a few times. Decide based on how you feel emotionally about each horse and if one is really more suitable for you to ride in general, not just in shows. SSSSSOOOOOOOO many things could happen to prevent you from showing no matter which horse you own that would NEVER NEVER EVER be a top criteria for keeping or selling.
                Last edited by Haylter; May. 15, 2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Trainers make a big part of their living buying and selling, it’s not nefarious to suggest a client with an unsuitable horse allow trainer to sell it and suggest a more suitable mount in the barn. Certainly not expect full commissions here but well trained horses often sell within the barns of good, honest trainers and everybody is happy with no surprises since it’s a known suitable horse.

If OP feels the trainer is going to rip her off or cheat her, or if trainer sold her the unsuitable Green horse in the first place, OPs got a much bigger problem then being overhorsed and looking at a long time to the show ring. Likewise don’t think taking this Greenie to a show right now is going to set anybody up for success.

Would also like to know how and why OP ended up with this particular horse when her goals were to learn to show in the very near future. Probably on a tight budget but if that’s the case, it’s even more important to get the most suitable horse in the first place to save money in the long run.
                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I meant take greenie to show just to hang out on the grounds, not competed...edited my post for clarity

Comment

Working...
                    X