Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Copy of asbury aerial
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

China tariffs horse related

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China tariffs horse related

On evening news one farmer said he's going to start growing hay.
    The cue card kid just held up an empty cue card. For a minute there I thought I had lost my sense of humor. --- Red Skelton

Hopefully wherever he’s at hasn’t been getting as much rain as the Mid-Atlantic has. Last year, the grass grew great but it was too wet to cut or cure it in time
    Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

Not sure hay is very profitable. My neighbor has 125 cattle, and cuts hay for everyone on our street. He pays $100 per acre for fertilizer, plus employee costs. He is of retirement age, yet he still works the farm in blistering hot weather. Last year, it was difficult to harvest because of too much rain. Much of his crop went to the cows because it was harvested too wet. He would cut 50 acres and get rain.

Farmers are going to be hurting. I expect people might lose their farms over this. All the farmers i know around here are retirement age. I don't see anyone volunteering to replace them. No one wants to go into farming. In the future, that farmland will be developed for houses. Already have one new housing development going in across from his property. Once this place becomes developed, i suspect i will be moving out.

I'm not sure it is easy for farmers to switch crops. Buying an entire new set of equipment might be prohibitively expensive. What do you do with your old equipment? If everyone is in the same situation (leaving the market), the market value will drop on those items. You'll be lucky to sell even at rock bottom prices.

"For harvesting 4-foot-by-5-foot round bales, estimated new equipment costs are $25,000 for a rotary mower/conditioner, $5,500 for a 10-foot rake, $35,000 for the baler and $55,000 for an adequate-sized tractor."
      --- Ouch!

I don't think this trade war is good for anyone. I know that in this area the people who own the hay harvesters are in high demand because the smaller farms cannot afford that sort of equipment. The small farmers rely on the larger farms for their harvest... Add in climate change and shorter opportunities to harvest... Not good.

​​​​​​

Comment

I feel confident that this will all settle down. China has been ripping us off for decades. Time to play fair. Of course, they don't like it and they're trying to bluff us back down.

"Climate Change", formerly known as "Global Warming" is a GOOD thing for farming world wide. Longer growing seasons. Weather (you know, the climate -- it changes every three months or so) will always "change" -- some years you get lots of rain, then you gets drought. And you never get the rain exactly when you'd LIKE it to fall.

Here in the Southwest, drought is more likely than too much rain. Even so, a farmer cuts his hay, and here comes a rainstorm to mess things up! So he bales that up for his cows or piuts it through a hay grinder and hopes for the best next cutting. Hay prices are high around here. I think the biggest expense is transport from where the hay is baled to the end user. You're damn lucky if it's a neighbor who provides your hay. You've cut out the transport costs.

Farmers are gamblers. Always have been. I'd support a guy who wants to grow hay!

Comment

I saw that same news broadcast and wondered if other soybean growers would switch to hay. We've been exporting alfalfa for a long time. These new tariffs take effect June 1st. The goal of reining in China is a good one. I'm not at all sure that tariffs are the way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFigs View Post

"Climate Change", formerly known as "Global Warming" is a GOOD thing for farming world wide.
            That is the stupidest thing I have heard/seen for a long time.
            ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Climate change in general seems to be leading to climate instability. It isn't a slow stable increase of average temperature everywhere. It's a disruption of weather patterns that can create larger and more frequent storms, more droughts, and also paradoxically worse winter storms because of how a warming artic distorts the polar vortex.

In my region we have been experiencing somewhat hotter and drier summers that have created far worse forest fires over the past decade. These have certainly devastated a lot of farmers. For the first time, the actual city has been smoked out several years in a row, which never happened before.

So while its true the weather has always been unpredictable everywhere, disrupted weather patterns are causing more catastrophic weather conditions in different ways in different places.

Comment

I wonder if it will become more commonplace here to feed haylage? It is commonly feed in the UK due to the inability to cure hay due to rain.

Comment

More and more performance horse farms in Texas are feeding only cubes or pellets.
                  Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Comment

"Climate Change", formerly known as "Global Warming" is a GOOD thing for farming world wide. Longer growing seasons. Weather (you know, the climate -- it changes every three months or so) will always "change" -- some years you get lots of rain, then you gets drought. And you never get the rain exactly when you'd LIKE it to fall!
                    Climate science, research, and experts in the field of climate change disagree with your interpretation.

Comment

I just went to my "local" good tack store today to order some BOT stuff before the tariffs hit.

The owner told me that her suppliers are warning her that all their prices are going to go UP, especially with the 25% tariff.

Fortunately for me the BOT people have not increased their prices yet (she called while I waited), but it is coming.

I was considering buying double bridle bits last year, and when I first heard of the steel tariffs I hurried up and saved my money. Now I have stainless steel double bridle bits (Weymouth curbs, single jointed eggbutt bradoons and french-link eggbutt bradoons) in many sizes since I ride lesson horses now. At least I am prepared now and can fit most sizes of horses with a double bridle, I did not get the giant sizes since I do not want to ride giant horses (BTDT).

Luckily I already have a decent bit collection, and I have the saddle, saddle pads and girths I need to fit most horses. It may get much more expensive to get gear for hunter-jumpers or dressage horses. I sincerely hope I am prepared with what I will need for the years ahead, and yes, I know, a horse will appear that will need something I don't already own, that is inevitable!

Comment

Weather (you know, the climate -- it changes every three months or so) will always "change" -- some years you get lots of rain, then you gets drought. And you never get the rain exactly when you'd LIKE it to fall.
                        You might want to read this handy article on the difference between weather and climate. If the article is too long, here is a nice illustration to help.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/weather-vs-climate

"So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

Here in the Southwest, drought is more likely than too much rain. Even so, a farmer cuts his hay, and here comes a rainstorm to mess things up! So he bales that up for his cows or piuts it through a hay grinder and hopes for the best next cutting. Hay prices are high around here. I think the biggest expense is transport from where the hay is baled to the end user. You're damn lucky if it's a neighbor who provides your hay. You've cut out the transport costs.
                          I don't know where in the Desert Southwest you are, but hay is the Number Two agriculture production crop in Arizona, and has been for many years. The transport costs are not a big factor per bale here in the Phoenix metro area because it is grown and baled not far from here.

Comment

That's nice for you, Silverbridge. Our grass hay mainlycomes from the mountains or the northern part of the state. Much of our hay gets sent to Texas or Oklahoma when they're in drought conditions. That raises our prices here. We do have irrigation in parts of Colorado, but most of our water flows OUT of here to states downstream. Yes, we have lots of irrigated alfalfa, but not every horse can eat alfalfa.

I will beg to differ with those of you who fear the Climate Apocalypse. The climate has changed over the centuries and over milennia. It has been hot before there were enough humans on the planet to affect "climate change" -- and they didn't have internal combusion engines anyway. There have been Ice Ages, too, without anyone around to blame. So give it a rest. Climate Change is based on faulty data and not on factual observation.

Comment

NPR ran a story yesterday about farmers being affected by these new tariffs. They interviewed one farmer who said it takes at least a year to change the type of crop being grown—they can't change over quickly because of many factors. This particular guy said he was getting out of soybeans and giving hemp a try.
                              "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." —Bradley Trevor Greive

Comment

Originally posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
                                This particular guy said he was getting out of soybeans and giving hemp a try.
                                here is the problem, few areas in the world can produce the quantity of grain crops as the central United States... in the short term sure China can refuse to buy the grains produced here but... once their citizens start becoming hungry, it is pretty hard to control a billion of so.There are just so many dogs they can eat.

Also their fall back position is suffering droughts

Soybeans closed higher on Friday as investors keep an eye on hot, dry weather in Brazil.
                                https://www.agriculture.com/markets/...ndamental-data

and their buddy has a problem also

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUSKCN1J50HH
                                Not responsible for typographical errors.

Comment

MissAriel, thanks so much for that oh-so-helpful illustration of weather vs.climate (not). Here in Colorado, it's not uncommon to need shorts and a parka within the space of 24 hours. In winter, I don't put all my summer clothes away. In summer, ditto the winter duds.

I hope the guy who wants to try hemp has an abundance of water. Hemp needs a lot of it.

Comment

I hope the guy who wants to try hemp has an abundance of water. Hemp needs a lot of it.
                                    I THINK he was in Virginia, so he should be ok. I also believe that Virginia is offering financial help to farmers wanting to try growing hemp, but I could be wrong about that.
                                    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." —Bradley Trevor Greive

Comment

That's nice for you, Silverbridge.
                                      Nice for me? I didn't mean to imply that hay is cheap here because it's grown not far away. It's still very expensive.

I was saying that, the distance from the farm to consumer with regard many grown commodities is not always a major factor in setting market costs.

Comment

MissAriel, thanks so much for that oh-so-helpful illustration of weather vs.climate (not). Here in Colorado, it's not uncommon to need shorts and a parka within the space of 24 hours. In winter, I don't put all my summer clothes away. In summer, ditto the winter duds.

But the climate doesn’t change every three months here in Colorado. The seasons do, sure,and so do the temps but the climate stays a consistent semi-arid.

Comment

Working...
                                        X