Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_1001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

White Face Markings that Come and Go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Face Markings that Come and Go

Curious if anyone else has experienced this. Our solid bay QH filly was born with a perfect, tiny half moon on her forehead. By three months, it had completely disappeared. By six months, still nothing, so I registered her. By a year, the white started to come back, very slowly, one hair at time. Now in her teens, she has retained the same marking she was born with. Anyone else experienced anything similar? In a lifetime of horses, I’ve never had this happen before nor have I heard of it happening with anyone else’s horses.
    Frost Bite Falls

We had several foals that were born with some white in their faces that lost most of it.
    I don't remember any of those it came back on.
    We had one bay gelding that lost his golf ball sized star young, then it came back in it's mid teens.

I wonder about grey horses on Oncept today, that grey melanoma vaccine, as they lose pigment around anus and lips and if it will come back if the vaccine is stopped?

Comment

Sort of; although just changing considerably over time, not truly disappearing. My one mare was born with a snip and a few white hairs above her left eye at the level of her whorl. She is double registered and was inspected as a foal; no one thought the white hairs were noteworthy. Not in person, not in pictures.

The white hairs morphed into a thumbprint sized, off-center star by the time she was about 3.

But the even weirder thing is her snip has been expanding upward. At first it was just a few white hairs appearing on her face. Now she’s 14 and for the past couple years, the vets have been saying she has a broken stripe on her Coggins.

White hairs continue filling in a little more every year. I used to joke she’d have a full blaze by 20, now it’s looking like my joke might become reality!

I’ll post pics if I get a chance because it is pretty interesting to see how many more face markings she has gained since birth!
      Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

• Original Poster

Interesting. I wonder if this ever happens with leg white, and what the causes could be.
        Frost Bite Falls

Comment

Leg white, I had a horse with a roany spot on one back leg that was ever so slightly increasing every year. I suspect he was (very) minimally expressed sabino because he had very little white but was slightly roany throughout his whole body and moreso above his tail and on his flanks, and then the leg spot (Arabian, no other white beyond a teeny star).
          COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

We've had some that change markings as they age. But, not there, not there, there again. I had to change the markings on one Arabian colt. He's chestnut, red mane and tail. Hardest markings I ever had to draw. I finally got so sick of it, I took pictures and drew from those. Those markings were on his legsl. I think he's also sabino - not unlike TheJenners' horse. But, the leg markings are pronounced to the max. His dam and sire were greys. Same dam gave us another chestnut with a golden mail and tail. Her blaze looked like a heifer when she was born. She grew into it.

Comment

So here are some of my girl's face changes from birth to almost 3 years to current. You may not be able to tell much, the formatting keeps going wonky when I upload.
              Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I have had TBs with stars that get bigger/more prominent over time.. One of them had a very small, almost round star as a 3 y/o, but by the time he was in his teens the star was a distinct "cyclone" symbol. One of my current OTTB had only one or two wisps of white on his forehead when I purchased him at 5, now he's got a bunch of white "ticking" in that area that is star-shaped and almost a star.

I think, given they shed from season to season, that some variation in markings is normal.. but having a star completely disappear is a little wild!
                AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

• Original Poster

Texarkana, that’s wild. It looks like she has a strip of white lying dormant.
                  Frost Bite Falls

Comment

Working...
                  X