Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

19815 Mule Barn Rd Westfield, IN, - 85
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

One Step at a Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Prince. that was what I was thinking then saw Bluey suggested it.

Comment

ARCHIE!

Why not.

Comment

I was going to say the same Bluey, but his show name should be the full name " Archie Harrison Moutbatten-Windsor"

Comment

I was going to say Archie as well.

Comment

It sounds like you're doing very well. Good for you!

One minor point - the knot you used on the halter (below his ear) is not correct. Take a look at Warwick Schiller's tutorial on halter fitting and securing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyMoCVzqgQE

I wouldn't mention this but it's a safety issue and this horse needs his new mommy to stay safe - he's counting on you!

P.S. As for a name, how about "Justin," as in Justin Morgan? (and Just In Time!)
            Last edited by Huntin' Pony; May. 9, 2019, 02:47 PM. Reason: Name ideas

Comment

Archie is cute but it has to be short for the full Archibald to really get the noble effect

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the name suggestions! I've tried most that listed, but there are some new ones there that I'll try out.

So, I haven't done much with this guy yesterday or today. I totally would have, but my co-worker and I got ambushed with a cold at the same time that's decided to combine itself with the flue. So I'm not doing too great and if I move faster than a slow crawl, I get very dizzy and my whole body aches and so on. So it's not exactly ideal condition to work with a horse like him while feeling like this.

On the plus side, he's starting to recognize me and will occasionally greet me at the fence or come over when I step into his pen. Also, I noticed yesterday morning that every time I'd reach to pet his head or neck (where he's most comfortable with right now), he'd lift his head and tense up. However, as soon as I'd make contact with him and give him gentle rubs, he'd relax and even lean into it and wiggle his lip against me too, like he wants to "pet" me too but is a bit shy about it. And when I'd stop and leave him him alone for a moment, once again he'd tense up when I'd reach to pet him, but settle as soon as he realized I was going to pet him. Kind of makes me wonder what's happened to him to make him anticipate something negitive from a touch.

Thankfully though, this morning when I went out to see him, I was able to pet him without him really tensing. He did initially, but by the second and third rub, he was fine. I've also found that he's more comfortable with contact on his left side than he is with his right side. So I've also been making sure to pet him on both sides. And by the time I left this morning, I was able to actually loosely wrap my arms on either side of his neck and lean my head against him in a slight hug. He didn't tense or step back so I think progress is definitely being made even though it's currently just in very small steps.

I didn't do anything with him this evening because I got worse with my cold. Actually left work early cause of it. Don't know if I'll be able to do anything tomorrow either, but I guess it's a wait and see how I feel. I try to make sure I can at least rub his head once or twice before I leave though to continue working on him allowing contact, which he does fairly well with actually when it comes with his head.

Also got a better pic of his left ear to show you guys what the tear looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D6QFuhtUEAAoxQi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	10391854Click image for larger version

Name:	D6QFwrVUIAA48b1.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	10391855

Name:	D6QFyfDUYAAlADp.jpg
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	10391856

Comment

The wiggle can mean he is itchy and it feels good to be scratched.

No mutual grooming allowed!
                  It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Sigh, never mind. Dont take advice from someone (me) who cant tell the difference between his left and my left...
                    Last edited by Chall; May. 13, 2019, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Enjoy your new guy! He's adorable.

I'm not great with naming, but he looks like a "Scout" to me, heh. Or Tip, for his eartip. Maybe instead of the full royal name posted above, just "Windsor."

Comment

Originally posted by CarrotBreath View Post
                        Enjoy your new guy! He's adorable.

I'm not great with naming, but he looks like a "Scout" to me, heh. Or Tip, for his eartip. Maybe instead of the full royal name posted above, just "Windsor."
                        Tip is a perfect name, with that split ear tip.

Comment

• Original Poster

So I realize it's been a while since I've posted, but the cold i caught really kicked my butt. I had a bad fever, hallucinations, and muscles constantly wanting to seaze, including my tonuge cramping which I didn't even know was possible till now. So this last 5 or so days have not been pleasant.

But now I'm doing better so I've started to work with this guy again.
                          Due to the fact I've been down for the count for roughly 5 days, i figured I'd have to start over from square one, but really, it's not that big of a step back considering I'd hardly gotten started to begin with.

When I went to see him yesterday and this morning, both times he'd keep taking a few steps away whenever i'd try to pet him. Yesterday he even bolted slightly. When he did this, I followed behind a few steps and as he glanced at me, I reached out my hand like I was grabbing an invisilbe rope and brought it closer as I turned away. i took a few steps away from him and stopped, and soon enough, I heard foot steps and then the gentle touch of his nose at my back. When I turned around, I was able to rub his head and his neck a bit and from there things went smoother. Though, that was about all I had time for since it started to rain.

Today, things went much better. He greeted me at the fence and I was able to go in and pet him without an issue. So I grabbed the leadrope and halter to see how he'd do that. He sniffed at it once, and was fine with me rubbing his neck. I brought it over to his neck and rubbed him with it and he didn't really care. So I then I decided to put it on, and again, he was fine with this. The first time I did this, it took me around 20 minutes for him to warm up to not only be touching his neck, but even rub his neck with the halter, and today I was able to halter him in maybe 2 minutes.

With him doing so well with that, I started to lead him around the pen since he's not entirely halter broke and doesn't lead all that great sometimes. However, he again did great with this. Since he was listening so well, I figured it was safe enough to walk him around the outside of the pen. This went well as well. He was a bit more tense and nervous but he listened quite well. I also stopped a few times to let him just graze, but he was definitely wary of everything. And when i'd try to pet him, he'd start walking sideways and somewhat try to leave until he realized he was caught. So one thing I definitely have to work with him is getting him not only comfortable with me in his "safe space" like the paddock, but also to feel comfortable and safe with me in a new area.

After a few minutes of that, I put him back into the paddock and took off the halter. I was pleasantly surprised that he didn't leave my side. In fact, he followed me quite closely as I walked around his pen. So I figured I might as well do a bit of liberty work with him. I walked in a few circles with him, but then went and did some smaller circles around him where I bent over slightly and pointed at his butt and wiggled my hand a bit as I started to move around him. He was hesitant at first but then moved over and would go in a circle like that with me. We didn't a full circle, but we did get around to doing half. Another thing we worked on was backing up. We'd walk along and then I'd say "woah" and he stopped. I'd then put my hands out low and say "back" as I started backing up. I had to push against his chest slightly the first time or two but after that, he got the idea and would back up with me when I did that. It's of course not good yet, but it's a start and I'm really enjoying it, and I think he is too.

And so, that concludes today's activities.
                          I still can't figure out a name for him though. i'm starting to think I'm just going to end up calling him Buddy since I've already been using Bud as a nickname when I greet him, and he honestly seems like he's going a good friend or "buddy" as we go along in his training. But I"m not sure. I don't know why it's so hard to name this guy.

Name:	D6u9HvsUYAE_97J.jpg
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	10395328Click image for larger version

Name:	D6u9IzTUcAEKJps.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	10395329

Comment

I have a horse called Boy. His breeder used to call the "boys" when she wanted them to come in. It always worked. Later on when he was alone she would call "boy" and he came. When I bought him as a three year old he responded to "boy" so that became his name.

Comment

I’m too late to chime in that I think Ace is the best name! Ace was my horse of a lifetime and had just one white hind, about the size of your guy’s. I’m also partial to Buddy, because my parents had a great cat that adopted THEM and took walks with my dad and the dogs! Named Buddy, obviously. Whatever you name him, have fun. He’s adorable.

Comment

Nothing wrong with Buddy or Bud. Since you are already calling him that maybe it wasn't so hard to name him after all.

Comment

What a cutie! He reminds me of the horse in my all time favorite horse book, "Fly By Night". Name him Fly!!
                                  Sheilah

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoRider View Post
                                    What a cutie! He reminds me of the horse in my all time favorite horse book, "Fly By Night". Name him Fly!!
                                    Sheilah
                                    That was one of my absolute favorites! I still have it

Comment

Originally posted by candyappy View Post

That was one of my absolute favorites! I still have it
                                      I have a copy, too!
                                      Sheilah

Comment

• Original Poster

So yesterday I again couldn't do anything. It rained the whole day and it wasn't a light rain either. It was pouring. Can't complain though as we really need the rain to prevent forest fires which are wanting to start burning again. Last year everyone here nearly had to evacuate with how close some fires got. So I'll gladly put up with lot of rain to help prevent that.

Anyways, so today I spent some time just relaxing with Bud. I gave him his supper, but I've noticed that as long as I'm in the pen with him, he ignores his food and focuses 100% on me. I think part of it is because he feels like he can't fully relax around me. Like I'm going to do something that he needs to be ready to run from. But I'm sure with more time, he'll relax. He's already getting more and more comfortable with me so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he's completely relaxed.

I also took the opportunity to introduce a brush to him. I just used a small soft brush for now and I let him sniff it and he wiggled his lips against the bristles and after a moment or two of this, he gave me quite the funny face lol. The first time the brush touched him on his neck, he did jump back a few steps, but came back almost right away when I showed him the brush again and he sniffed it once more. After that, he was better about me touching his neck wit the brush. I also ran my hand along his back and rump, and he jumped away again when I touched his butt, but again, after a moment I was about to pet him again and I was able to brush my hand along his butt again.

So I took my time and worked on being able to touch his whole body. By the time I was done, I able to run my hand and brush along his neck, sides/back, and rump without him getting too worried. He even enjoyed some scratches around the poll of his head and ears. He's also totally fine with me wrapping my arm around his nose and holding his head "stuck" like that. He actually often brings his head over to me to nudge or nuzzle against me and enjoys head rubs.

Name:	D65IVLJV4AEqr3U.jpg
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	10396352Click image for larger version

Name:	D65ITvnVsAEiY-Q.jpg
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	10396353

Comment

Lucky horse.

Comment