Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

27
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Why are you selling this horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

    That’s a good point too. I am naturally skeptical so I usually assume what they tell me is balderdash.

    During my second horse buying trip I was looking for a second horse as the horse my parents bought for me needed a friend. I didn’t board until my 20’s. Horse was described as a great trail horse, wasn’t going to cut it as a barrel horse etc. etc. Rode the horse in the arena and then was going to take it out on the trails. Horse reared at the gate to the arena on the way out. The seller said “he’s never done that.” Right...

    Since then I listen to what the sellers say, but really don’t put a lot of weight to it.
    Ronald Reagan said it best: Trust, but Verify!!!

    G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

    Comment


    • #42
      I generally ask. I think it's a reasonable question.

      My first horse- a 4 yr old 17 hand tb mare not raced, I went to the barn to look at. The girl had mostly a pony and 15 hand something. I asked her and she said she was now getting into barrel racing- oh ok, gotcha. Cam was NOT balanced at all yet, all lanky, but ended up being perfect for me.

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by Arelle View Post
        I think it's become a common, lazy way to ask "what's the catch"... It's kind of a round about way to ask, "If s/he's so nice, why aren't you keeping him?"
        Exactly. When all you are getting is the sales pitch about what a wonderful animal it is, it is natural to ask "then why are you selling?"

        I find those that do not respond well to the question generally act as though they are hoping to hide something detrimental to the sale that they do not want to share. The answers get evasive or downright dishonest. There are plenty of 'legit' reasons to sell. No problem sharing those. You still may not be getting the whole story, but sometimes it helps.

        Buyer beware.

        No matter where you go, there you are

        Comment


        • #44
          I’ve never done any buying and selling where the topic would reasonably come up, but I could see it happening. It’s a lot like the job interview question of “Why are you looking to leave/did you leave your current position?” Certainly the answers should be viewed with a certain amount of skepticism, but some responses are fishier than others. Given that many, many advertisements spell out the reason for selling (sadly outgrown pony, owner off to college, owner moving, financial circumstances force sale, etc.), or are clearly dealers (“We have many other prospects if Simon does not suit your needs”) it doesn’t seem complete out of line for a buyer to ask If that information is not clear. Particularly if the horse is talked up as the best thing ever to walk four hooves and the price is oddly low.

          Comment


          • #45
            This was an answer to why are you selling?

            "I am curious to know what makes you ask this? Would there be certain answers that would be pertinent to you determining your interest in the horse or ?
            I am asking you this in a sincere way, I am not trying to sound like a dink. I have seen people ask this question before and I have always wondered why this would be on a buyers “first questions list”.

            What type of answers are you expecting to hear and how would the answer be relevant to your interest in a horse?

            Thank you and my answer to your question would be that the reason for selling does not effect the horse or the new buyer in any way."
            Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

            Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #46
              Was mulling this one over, as I do, I realized that this is info that I usually include in my listing, last horse HATED western, one before, not really 2nd level, LOL, one before that.....horse has put me in hospital, sold strictly as restart project! Loved a response on that one “would he be suitable for me and my 11 year old daughter?”

              ”Only if you don’t like your daughter”
              "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

              "You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

              Comment


              • #47
                Dealers and breeders: obviously you wouldn’t ask them.

                Often sellers volunteer the info why they’re selling - in the ad or in conversation. If not I’ll ask. As others said it builds on the story I’m getting: The glowing terminology in the ad often hints at things the seller hates about the horse. Ask them point blank - ideally to their face - and they may just tell you.

                And their problem might not be a problem for me, but it says a lot about the seller and the methods they used (or didn’t) to overcome issues, which affect the horse.

                Comment


                • #48
                  I think it's a reasonable question to ask, and it's one way to ask something that just gets the seller talking about the horse more, and you might just find some valuable information in there.

                  It is not a question I think I have asked for my last several purchases. Of the four currently in my barn: 2 were adoptions from a rescue. 1 was a start and resell project for someone, one I knew since birth and was paid to train her at about the same time my own horse died, and I got a very good deal on her.

                  However, if I was shopping for a teenage horse for a timid child, I would want to know if the horse was too much for the seller, too fast, or had trouble staying sound.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
                    This was an answer to why are you selling?

                    "I am curious to know what makes you ask this? Would there be certain answers that would be pertinent to you determining your interest in the horse or ?
                    I am asking you this in a sincere way, I am not trying to sound like a dink. I have seen people ask this question before and I have always wondered why this would be on a buyers “first questions list”.

                    What type of answers are you expecting to hear and how would the answer be relevant to your interest in a horse?

                    Thank you and my answer to your question would be that the reason for selling does not effect the horse or the new buyer in any way."
                    Actually, if I got a ridiculous answer like that one, my first impression would be "deliberately evasive".

                    This seller is trying to take the prospective buyer's attention off the horse and distract the PB onto a side trail that has nothing to do with the horse.

                    By putting the PB on the defensive, PB ends up either wasting time trying to explain a question that is obvious in its meaning, or else becomes backed off of asking many questions so as not to trigger more argumentative non-replies. Or both.

                    Quite frankly it's an old tactic when someone wants to deflect attention from the real issue.

                    And sure enough, going on page 3 of discussion about the 'why' of the question (it's obvious for heaven's sake) and no discussion at all about why the seller didn't just answer it in a straightforward way - which is the real issue all along.

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      I am currently horse shopping. Omg, is this stressful. I have looked pretty hard at a horse that looks great and seems great, by his description. So great, in fact, that I do wonder what the catch is. So, I asked the question, but I didn't really get an answer. The owner told me that she and her husband didn't need 3 horses, but earlier in the conversation she had told me that she had bought a new riding horse 6 weeks prior. Which would mean that she was replacing the horse she is trying to sell. And that tells me that there is something about this sale horse that she doesn't like. Now, it may be something that doesn't bother me at all, but it would be nice to know what it actually is. This particular horse is a pretty long way away, so I'm not sure I want to drive that far to see him under the circumstances. She did say that the horse is not the same every time you ride him, and that he is "not hot, but sensitive" and together with her other non answer I suspect that he can be a bit of a fool at times. And, he probably IS hot to boot.

                      My horse of a lifetime was bought from a down on her luck drug addict that had recently been evicted from her live in barn job that included board for her horse. That was pretty straightforward, actually. I also had a friend that had known the horse for years, so I was pretty sure about what I was getting. That was reassuring.

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        I ask the question, but in person. And I don't necessarily believe the answer. I ask it because I want to gauge the seller's reaction to it.

                        I used to work with a guy whose go-to question when interviewing candidates for hire was "Why are manhole covers round?" His reasoning was that it didn't matter if they had the right answer or not, the point was to throw a bit of a curve ball and see how they reacted.

                        I like to think I am savvy enough to see if there is a moment of "oh, crap, what am I going to say?" before they answer--it gives me a sense of whether or not to trust them.

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
                          This was an answer to why are you selling?

                          "I am curious to know what makes you ask this? Would there be certain answers that would be pertinent to you determining your interest in the horse or ?
                          I am asking you this in a sincere way, I am not trying to sound like a dink. I have seen people ask this question before and I have always wondered why this would be on a buyers “first questions list”.

                          What type of answers are you expecting to hear and how would the answer be relevant to your interest in a horse?

                          Thank you and my answer to your question would be that the reason for selling does not effect the horse or the new buyer in any way."
                          I can see me responding that way.

                          Let's say I'm selling a nice 'ranch horse' for $8500 and I'm in Utah. This is a nice horse, he's ready to go down the road because the ranch has sold and I need to offload some horses, and he's a good one for a good price.

                          I get asked that question and click on the person's profile on FB and see they are a young teen in Florida who has what looks to be an old beater of a gelding in a ratty pen with an equally ratty Wintec. Or some random woo-woo horse hugger who doesn't even have a horse and never has, she is nuts about the plight of the mustang and totally into dreamweavers and mystical connections and such, and she's on a supertight budget trying to but some horses out of Bastrop's killpen and she's only got 400 to spend.


                          So- umm - yeah- I could see that response coming out of my fingertips

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            I find that a lot of non dealer ads, so horses for sale from a private person, usually include why they're selling the horse. It's a little different here and people are/have to be generally upfront about health issues with the animal. I've never had to ask.

                            However, most of my horse's have come from a breeder or dealer that buys young horses, starts them, figures them out, and sells them. In those cases it is quite obvious why they're selling the horse.

                            Would I be offended if someone asked me? No. I wouldn't take it personally at all. Then again, it'd probably be included in my ad.

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              Originally posted by stb View Post
                              I am currently horse shopping. Omg, is this stressful. I have looked pretty hard at a horse that looks great and seems great, by his description. So great, in fact, that I do wonder what the catch is. So, I asked the question, but I didn't really get an answer. The owner told me that she and her husband didn't need 3 horses, but earlier in the conversation she had told me that she had bought a new riding horse 6 weeks prior. Which would mean that she was replacing the horse she is trying to sell. And that tells me that there is something about this sale horse that she doesn't like. Now, it may be something that doesn't bother me at all, but it would be nice to know what it actually is. This particular horse is a pretty long way away, so I'm not sure I want to drive that far to see him under the circumstances. She did say that the horse is not the same every time you ride him, and that he is "not hot, but sensitive" and together with her other non answer I suspect that he can be a bit of a fool at times. And, he probably IS hot to boot.

                              ....


                              That's a seller who is not the Master of BS that she thinks she is. Good for you to see right through her!

                              Most people trim and edit a story for length, so I don't expect every little thing they say to fit perfectly. But when a series of impossibly contradictory statements is flowing, pay attention to that. Believe that the contradictions are not all possible and don't excuse them. See them for the lies that they are. BS artists count on the audience to forgive and rationalize their many misstatements, because getting the listener to do the work of rationalizing the is truest art of BS. It works only too well.


                              Originally posted by ecileh View Post
                              ...
                              I used to work with a guy whose go-to question when interviewing candidates for hire was "Why are manhole covers round?" His reasoning was that it didn't matter if they had the right answer or not, the point was to throw a bit of a curve ball and see how they reacted.
                              ....
                              That is awesome! What a great tactic for seeing how someone responds more authentically, not with another canned and rehearsed answer.


                              Originally posted by ecileh View Post
                              ....
                              I like to think I am savvy enough to see if there is a moment of "oh, crap, what am I going to say?" before they answer--it gives me a sense of whether or not to trust them.
                              Be just as aware of someone who is answering smoothly and with a smile, but who is clearly making it up as they go. Often they will issue a stream of statements that don't even follow a logical path, but are delivered in such a sincere tone that the audience tends to give them the benefit of the doubt. Which is what the bs artist is counting on. It's good to listen closely to what people are really saying and not just flow with their convincing demeanor. People aren't really such good liars, they just count on the audience to look at their pleasing manner instead.

                              Comment


                              • #55
                                Originally posted by ecileh View Post
                                I ask the question, but in person. And I don't necessarily believe the answer. I ask it because I want to gauge the seller's reaction to it.

                                I used to work with a guy whose go-to question when interviewing candidates for hire was "Why are manhole covers round?" His reasoning was that it didn't matter if they had the right answer or not, the point was to throw a bit of a curve ball and see how they reacted.

                                I like to think I am savvy enough to see if there is a moment of "oh, crap, what am I going to say?" before they answer--it gives me a sense of whether or not to trust them.
                                OMG! I have been asked the manhole cover question in an interview!!! I was also once asked “if I could be a bird, what bird would I be?” A flamingo of course!

                                Carry on, I’ve never purchased a horse...this is all quite educational!

                                Comment


                                • #56
                                  Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post
                                  I don’t think I have ever asked this question. I have had people tell me why they are selling on their own. Whatever the reason they have or would give, doesn’t really impact my assessment on the horse.
                                  Same.
                                  When selling, I find this question super annoying and somewhat invasive into my personal life. Finding out if there’s something wrong with the “unicorn” can be done by a number of any other questions, this one is asking for information that might be personal and not something the seller wants to share with strangers. Based on the responses on this thread, a lot of buyers would take an answer like “personal reasons” to be too vague and sketchy.
                                  "The best of any breed is the thoroughbred horse..." - GHM

                                  www.mmeqcenter.com

                                  Comment


                                  • #57
                                    Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post



                                    That's a seller who is not the Master of BS that she thinks she is. Good for you to see right through her!

                                    Most people trim and edit a story for length, so I don't expect every little thing they say to fit perfectly. But when a series of impossibly contradictory statements is flowing, pay attention to that. Believe that the contradictions are not all possible and don't excuse them. See them for the lies that they are. BS artists count on the audience to forgive and rationalize their many misstatements, because getting the listener to do the work of rationalizing the is truest art of BS. It works only too well.




                                    That is awesome! What a great tactic for seeing how someone responds more authentically, not with another canned and rehearsed answer.




                                    Be just as aware of someone who is answering smoothly and with a smile, but who is clearly making it up as they go. Often they will issue a stream of statements that don't even follow a logical path, but are delivered in such a sincere tone that the audience tends to give them the benefit of the doubt. Which is what the bs artist is counting on. It's good to listen closely to what people are really saying and not just flow with their convincing demeanor. People aren't really such good liars, they just count on the audience to look at their pleasing manner instead.
                                    It also separates the bullshitters from the honest folk (the manhole question, I mean). People tended to either pause and eventually say "Gosh, I don't know" or spew out some whack-adoodle theory about why and try to sell us on that. I always found that very telling.

                                    Some people would get totally flustered by the sudden change of topic and not be able to recover. That was telling too, as in our line of work, we often have to make a sharp left turn without warning and then carry on the new track like nothing happened.

                                    Comment


                                    • #58
                                      I don't understand this question either but it doesn't bother me. I guess no one is going to say "Oh im selling him because hes a complete a**hole". I mean even if the horse has issues, they are going to say something nicer than that so how do you differentiate?

                                      The question that makes me nuts is asking me how far do i think a horse can go. Like I just sold a horse thats gone BN for cheap and I got ask "do you think this horse can go P". No clue. Never jumped him that big and can't predict the future.
                                      ************************
                                      "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

                                      https://falllinefarmblog.wordpress.com/

                                      Comment


                                      • #59
                                        I understand the question and don't mind being asked

                                        "I bought him for resale"

                                        "He needs a more confident ride than I can give him"

                                        "I'm looking for something to go to 4th level on and he's a training/1st level horse"

                                        "we bought the horse for my daughter to have as a project horse but she went to college and doesn't have time to ride"

                                        It gives me a better idea of if the reason for sale is something I can cope with.


                                        http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

                                        Comment


                                        • #60
                                          I called about a horse for sale this week. Before calling I thought about this thread and mulled over whether or not I ought to ask why she was selling. I didn't even get a chance to ask. The first thing the seller did was explain why her horse was for sale.

                                          And doesn't everybody know why manhole covers are round?
                                          "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                                          that's even remotely true."

                                          Homer Simpson

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X