Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

Backyard3
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Horse Shopping: Question About Ethics--Of the Buyer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find I am very picky when trying horses. I think I picked it up when watching an Olympic level rider come and try out one of the horses where I was a working student. The horse was tacked,(by the barn owner) she pulled the saddle off. Looked at the bit (bubble) and said I want an eggbutt snaffle. And proceeded to re-tack the horse. I understand why she did these things. She did not want to see how well the horse can go with the harsh bit, she anted to see what she had to work with and could base training off of that. And was checking the saddle fit, and placing it where she preferred.
    Ever since, I have removed and tacked up a horse I am looking at.

In your situation, I would have looked at the rub mark, and said 'Oh, what happened here?' I wouldn't have said look, your saddle doesn't fit, and this is why your horse is upset. No one likes that.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna.m View Post

In your situation, I would have looked at the rub mark, and said 'Oh, what happened here?' I wouldn't have said look, your saddle doesn't fit, and this is why your horse is upset. No one likes that.

This was my thought. It could be from something different entirely. I have ridden horses with rubs under their saddle without issue. Those hairless spots are healing bite marks, not saddle rubs. So, it is not a given that a mark under the saddle is always due to the saddle.

Whether or not I was interested in the horse, I would comment and ask questions.

Just recently at a horse show, I saw a horse with a weird looking leg so I asked what was going on. The owner/rider told me that it was an old scar and as I was talking I approached the horse and commented that it just looked different from where I originally stood and the hair below the scar being still a but puffed out/winter hair. We had a great conversation and her tone did not reflect defensiveness at all. The conversation continued to his age, how awesome he was and note the missing eye - when he does something to himself he goes all in according to owner.

So, a conversation isn't necessarily going to put someone off, if you start it right. If you start with "well this mark obviously means you are doing this wrong" then yeah, people are going to get defensive but if it starts with, "this looks odd, where did this come from?" it is a different story.

We sent one horse to a new home with what looks like no muscle on the one side of his face - he rode great, great attitude, reminded owner of owner's first horse - but we didn't know where the issue came from as he came to use like that and at 8 years old seemed to be function fine that way.

Comment

Originally posted by phippsie62 View Post
        I tried a gelding recently. I'd already heard that he had to be led into the show ring on a lead rope, wouldn't go in on his own. I watched a class with his regular rider. Yes, they led him in. When the rider tried to send him forward, his ears pinned and he bucked a little. Rider tapped him with the whip, horse said "Oh, all right," and started the course. Rider made all kinds of mistakes but the horse knew his job and covered. When it was time for me to try him, horse was presented all tacked up and ready to go. Again, objections. But once jumping commenced, all heart, great technique, knew his job.

Then: Afterwards, I untacked the horse to do a once-over of his body. Yikes--on one side the saddle had rubbed him right down to the skin. It had apparently never occurred to rider or trainer that the horse's behavior might be the result of pain from a poorly fitted saddle.

I said nothing and still feel bad about it. But my trainer was there, the other trainer was there...I guess I got intimidated and also confused about the right thing to do. Nobody had asked for my advice, and people tend to resent unsolicited advice, especially when it could be construed as critical. In a situation where I'm just trying a horse, this kind of thing may come up again. What should I do--say something and try for tact, or just keep my mouth shut? As I say, I still feel rotten about the whole thing. Poor horse.
        What can you tell us about the rub? Is it likely it just happened that day? Or is it likely it has been there for a long time?

If the horse has a reputation of needing to be led into the ring, it is unlikely that a simple tack swap is all that is needed to fix his behavior. The owner/trainer of the horse would have tried that already.

Comment

Working...
        X