Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

Front cover shot
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Unique little gelding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique little gelding

So, something new has come up, and it came up very suddenly.

Backstory is basically that myy grandma had a guest over Easter weekend and I ended up hearing that she had a gelding that she was going to send off to auction because he was hard to catch. I didn't catch much more than that at the time since there was other stuff going on and the topic quickly changed.

Then, I ended up asking the lady later on about the gelding out of curiosity. Turns out he's around 3 years old, VERY hard to catch, has had minnimal handling through his life, pics up his feet but is still antsy when it comes to cleaning them, doesn't lead well due to being anxious, he has had a saddle on him and had someone sit on him, but no ground work leading to that and wasn't actually ridden, only sat on. He was gelded last fall, is unknown breed but the thought currently is that he's a morgan, draft cross. He's just shy of 14 hh but has some very big bones.(His legs look bigger and thicker than my mare's and she's a 15.2 hh thoroughbred) He isn't very sensitive to pressure either and she can't ground drive him because of that.

Two days agoo
    I got a surprise in morning of the lady texting me, asking me if I wanted him and she'd sell him for $500. I told her I'd like to see him first so she invited me over after work.

When i went out there, she had him in a smaller pen so that he would easier to catch (which she told me about ahead of time). When I arrived, he was in said pen, but still had his halter and lead rope on. As we were looking at him, he did come over to sniff our hands a bit. The owner had to do something with her cows so I went in the pen with the horse during that. I let him sniff me pet his forehead and neck. he was very nervous about the contact. When I looked in his eyes, my heart somewhat melted. He had such a worried look that all I wanted to do was give him a big hug and tell him that everything was going to be ok.

I led him around a bit too. The first little bit he would stop at every few steps. So I would give a very gentle and soft tug of encouragment and he would start to follow again. When I told him "woah" as I stopped, his stop was immediate, 0 hesitation and his head went up a bit a bit, almost like he figured something would happen to him if he didn't stop instantly.
    Second time around, he followed much better with only one stop/hesitation before following me again. Between this, I'd rub his forehead to praise him and he started to seem to warm up to me. I was able to run my hands along his body but he doesn't like his ears touched. I could pick up his feet as well.

While the lady and I stood in the pen talking about him, he sniffed at my hand and touched his nose along my arm, and even nuzzled against my neck and face a bit. When his nose was in my face, I blew at his nose a bit and that got his attention and after that, he relaxed. His bottom lip became loose as he relaxed and he'd even close his eyes a bit when i'd rub his forehead or started to gently massage his side. I was kind of surprised actually because of how much he was warming up to me but not really paying attention to the owner. He listened to her when she asked him to do something, but he was seeking me out more and actually relaxing with me as well.
    When leading him back to his pen, he was a lot more alert and a bit anxious as well.

My conclusion of his personality is that he wants to be affectionate. I can see him becoming a real love bug actually. But I think he's just scared to trust people. He's been shipped around to at least 3 different people within the first 2.5 to 3 years of his life, and has had very little handling between that, and I don't think all the experiences have been good. This guy just needs someone to love him and spend time working with him to build his confidence and get him to trust. I can see him becoming a great trail horse.

Horse's current situation:
    He has a week to find a home before the lady is going to send him off to an auction. The last auction near here, 90% of those horses went to kill buyers. Due to this guy's training level, the fact his breed is unknown, and everything else, I don't think he'll end up lucky at the auction. No one around here is really looking for grade horses, especially ones like him. The rescues around here are also overloaded with horses so they aren't able to really save any more from auction at this time without a lot of help.

So I'm thinking that I might just take this guy. I'll wait to see if he does find a good home this next week, but if no one takes him before the auction, then i'm going to step in and take him. I'd hate to see him end up on a meat truck and face such a horrendous ending. There's a lot more of what I could say for the plan I have to make things to work if i get him, but this post is long enough. Regardless, he's stolen my heart with his eyes and I'd love to work with him and show him that he doesn't need to be worried about humans. At the very least, I'd be able to provide him with a temporary home to work on his ground manners and find him a good home rather than him end up at auction.

Nothing has been totally decided yet on my end. I don't want to just jump head first into this, but it is something I'm seriously considering.

Anways, so what are your guys thoughts on this handsome fellow and his situation? Any suggestions on what you think his breeding might be as well? And if things work out, do you guys think I should jump in and take him before he can end up in an auction?

I think if you have the land to take him, you have to. He won't get a good home and he was clearly asking you to take him away. My guess is he's just totally unbroke not a bad horse at all. And owner doesn't have the skills to deal with him.

A few times in my life, horses I didn't know well have come to me for help like this, and I wasn't in a position to respond. It did not go well for the horses. It still bothers me.

Comment

Sucker.
      I'm in for a dribble.

Comment

He needs a soft landing. Seems like a good natured little cuss.

Comment

PoNY! PONY!! PONEE!!!
          "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Comment

Sounds like you need to take him.
            If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

Take the pony

Comment

He doesn't look crazy or outlawed, just a good egg type that has not had any education past a minimum.
                There are so, so many of those out there.

Looks can be deceiving, but if you have to take him, at least you are not starting with one that is trying to run over fences to get away from people and if crowded run over you.

Bonus that he liked you, those horses sell themselves, especially once they learn to trust no one is going to go rogue on them and scare them, as some do in the name of training who is boss.

The question is, what will you do with him, other than giving him a better start?
                Does he has a place in your stable and if not, does he has a place in any place you can market him later?

Here, not registered, little color, small, there is no real market for those horses other than traders that haul them around until they find a place for them in some dude string or a backyard home IF he gentles enough in a reasonable time for the more beginner horse owners to putter around with.

All of us have had some of those.
                That looks to be one with your name on it.
                Speaking of names, have you already thought of some?

Good luck all works out, one way or another.

Comment

I took a similar gamble and now own my horse of a lifetime. She is everything that I never knew I needed in a horse. Trail rides solo, jumps everything you put in front of her, packs around friends, kids, and boyfriends, is a great pony horse for babies and crazies... you name it, she does it.

When I bought her, I did so because I felt sorry for her, because she would not have been lucky if she went back to the auction. She was half feral, wormy, skinny, and owned by people who knew nothing and had bought a weanling at an auction that were now terrified of her because she "got big". But there was just something about her.

I went in thinking I had lost my mind, and fully prepared to euthanize if I couldn't turn her around. Best $300 gamble ever. There were moments when I was ready to give up (I hate 4 year olds) but I'm so glad I didn't.

All this to say, don't expect it to be easy, but if your life will allow for the time, funds, and space her needs... do it. You already love him and if you don't try you will always wonder what if.

Comment

I think you got yourself a pony, and a friend for life.
                    Proud member of Appendix QH clique

Comment

He's darling. get him immediately.

Comment

I'm pretty sure whatever you can do for him will be better than anything he's had.
                        ~* Be kind to one another *~

Comment

He IS handsome!

Silly Wild at Heart, you are seriously on this forum asking if you should buy the adorable friendly gelding? Um, yes. No brainer.

But show up with a trailer and offer her $400 in cash. I'll bet she'll take it.
                          "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

He's adorable. I'm such a sucker for a sweet face and a nuzzle, he'd already be at my farm if it were me! Ask me how I ended up with a Welsh Pony instead of a horse my 6'4" husband could ride!!! lol
                            ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

I think that as long as you can go into this with the understanding that it's possible he was not abused and he might have a serious screw loose, then go for it. Because it's possible that he was treated roughly or unfairly or inconsistently, and it's equally as possible that he's just one of those heartbreaker types who's sweet but difficult (or even impossible). I've had 2 horses like that over many years. But it was enough to show me that sometimes the ones who get passed around get passed around *because* they're impossible to get through to.

So best case scenario, you end up with a lovely little gelding. Worst case scenario, you learn why the owner was where she was.

Comment

Oh now, he's CUTE!!

Comment

I have a pony who seems to have a similar start in life and ended up being seized and sent to the rescue where I found her at age 5. She was scared of everyone and everything. I have had her for 3 years now, and it only took a few months to get her to come around. She is very sweet, curious, and friendly now. She stopped kicking violently when touched behind the shoulder and now actually likes having her udder cleaned and belly scratched. She's done a little bit of everything and I have lent her out to kids to ride and compete. She has no bad habits and isn't scared of anything.

However, she is still prone to get nervous and panic if she feels like something bad is about to happen. If you take it slow and reassure her, it turns out okay. If she thinks she might get punished or you're harsh at all, she will panic and barge right over you (which of course, brings on the punishment). Backing off the trailer is one example. The more pressure you applied, the more she would resist or charge forward. I lived with turning her around for a while, then one long, slow, session with lots of reassurance and rewards got through to her and now she's a pro at backing out.

Personally, I love ponies and think the guy you found is adorable and a great height and age, and I would take him.
                                  Your initial post reads sort of like a pre-teen novel for horse crazy girls, so I would caution you to go into it with a bit more of a logical approach and less based on your "special bond" that no one else has with him.

Comment

I agree with Mango. As long as you go into it with a mindset of working with a potentially difficult project horse and not “omg we bonded immediately and now he’ll do anything I ask” it could work out. And get a trainer’s help if you don’t have experience starting young horses.

Comment

I think he likes you and he is picking you for his new mom! Scoop him up now and save him the stress of the auction pen. Good Luck and keep us posted! He is a handsome fella!

Comment

He looks like a good boy, sweet face and cute body. He just needs some guidance and love. What are you waiting for? Get him and keep us updated. We're all rooting for the two of you!

Comment

Working...
                                        X