Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_0200
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Meatatarians vs. Vegetarians in the Horsey World -- A Spinoff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rackonteur, well played! We’re on our way to a memorable salad course.😁
    Frost Bite Falls

Comment

I'm having a party this weekend and here's the menu:
      Meatballs
      Hot Brown sliders
      Mac&cheese
      Meat free baked beans
      There will also be deviled eggs, veggies/chips and dip, macaroni salad and desserts.

I don't know any vegans but a couple vegetarians are coming so this menu should give everyone a chance to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by PintoPony View Post
        Meatballs
        Hot Brown sliders
        Mac&cheese
        Meat free baked beans
        There will also be deviled eggs, veggies/chips and dip, macaroni salad and desserts.

I don't know any vegans but a couple vegetarians are coming so this menu should give everyone a chance to eat.
        Gotta ask what a hot brown slider is. Have to say it doesn't sound appealing, at all.

Comment

S1969, Hot Browns are open faced sandwiches with turkey, bacon, tomato and cheese sauce.

They are delicious!

They're one of the traditional foods associated with the Kentucky Derby. I'm just modifying them into slider form so they're easier to handle at a picnic.

But they could use a better name.

Comment

Originally posted by PintoPony View Post
            Meatballs
            Hot Brown sliders
            Mac&cheese
            Meat free baked beans

Vegans will not be able to eat anything....
            https://www.facebook.com/Luckyacresfarm
            https://www.facebook.com/Ulrike-Bsch...4373849955364/

Comment

Originally posted by Rackonteur View Post
              A horsewoman is throwing a party and may be trying to decide whether or not to serve vegetables.

What are your thought? Should vegetables be served?

Should only vegetables be served?

I'm not sure if there is going to be riding before dinner, or after, or both, but IME meatatarians and vegetarians ride happily together. So, will vegetarians come to the dinner?

What is the proper protocol? Should they just show up, bringing their own covered dish vegetable dishes?

Should they ask other people first whether or not this is proper protocol?

And then, about the vegans ...

A gracious host considers the feelings of ALL their guests. So a variety would be most appropriate. If one or more people refuse to attend because of some item being served then that's their business and their loss.

G.
              Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raa, Uma Paixo

Comment

She doesn’t KNOW any vegans. So unless they crash the party, they’re not coming...

Originally posted by Manni01 View Post

Vegans will not be able to eat anything....
                Beans (maybe) and some carrot sticks
                ~Veronica
                "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

I do most of my entertaining when the garden is in, so I always serve fresh sliced tomatoes, or a cucumber and tomato salad, along with a lot of grilled veggies - eggplant, zucchini and squash. (I dearly love caprese salad, for vegans, just eliminate the mozzarella.) Mac and cheese is a staple for vegetarians, but not for vegans; but you can do a summer pasta salad without dairy that would be filling. I also love doing roast potatoes and roast sweet potatoes with olive oil, and they are always popular with omnivores/vegetarians/vegans alike.

I am happy to accommodate any and all food preferences and diets, under one condition: no one who is a guest better roll an eye or lecture me as I enjoy my home raised, grass feed, marinated London Broil, seared on the grill and eaten medium rare. (As all right thinking people eat beef.)

Oh, and I'm probably gonna have an ear of fresh white corn on the cob, grilled in the husk and slathered in real butter, and I don't want to hear any muttering from the vegan guests about that, either.
                  The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

I eat some vegetables but I don't really like most, and I'm not a huge fan of salads. Honestly I like the whole having options where toppings can be added, or have some meat options and some vegetarian options. That or do a potluck. If people are offended that there is meat around...well, honestly, how the heck do you get by in day to day life if you get that offended over the presence of meat? Just suck it up and deal like everyone else does with things they don't like.

Comment

Just saw this on a friends feed on the book of faces...

I wish I still had a picture of the one complaining that there aren’t enough meat-free menu items because she came with a friend that’s a veterinarian.

It took several readings between a couple people to realize she meant vegetarian.
                      "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

Originally posted by KBC View Post
                        Just saw this on a friends feed on the book of faces...

I wish I still had a picture of the one complaining that there aren’t enough meat-free menu items because she came with a friend that’s a veterinarian.

It took several readings between a couple people to realize she meant vegetarian.
                        ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Not sure why people keep mentioning that vegans attending the party would be offended if meat and dairy would be served??? Did you have experiences with vegans being offended???
                          I for sure would not be... I was a non smoker all my life and had to stand in a group with heavily smoking people in my youth because otherwise I would have been pretty lonesome .
                          But I am not sure if I would be a bit offended if a friend would invite me to a party and not care at all about my food preferences... then he really wouldn’t need to invite me if is interest is so low.. and really this is not my experience with my friends at all!! They care more about what I could eat then I do. .. i am always humbled by them!!!
                          https://www.facebook.com/Luckyacresfarm
                          https://www.facebook.com/Ulrike-Bsch...4373849955364/

Comment

Originally posted by Manni01 View Post
                            Not sure why people keep mentioning that vegans attending the party would be offended if meat and dairy would be served??? Did you have experiences with vegans being offended???
                            I for sure would not be... I was a non smoker all my life and had to stand in a group with heavily smoking people in my youth because otherwise I would have been pretty lonesome .
                            But I am not sure if I would be a bit offended if a friend would invite me to a party and not care at all about my food preferences... then he really wouldn’t need to invite me if is interest is so low.. and really this is not my experience with my friends at all!! They care more about what I could eat then I do. .. i am always humbled by them!!!
                            This was a spinoff of the COTH menu post. It is meant to be light hearted... not serious and real "we just can't get along so deal with it" opinions. I don't give a hoot if you are a vegan, pescatarian, vegetarian, omnivore, etc etc. I'll serve the normal at any of my (few) parties which includes BBQ meat, make your own salad options, definitely vegetables of some sort, chips, etc. My best friends niece is allergic to dairy and a few other things so we are mindful of options when she is in town BUT the parents also make sure to bring things they know she can eat just in case. If you have dietary preferences/needs (ie: I am incredibly picky) then just ask what dish types are needed (main, side, veggie, etc) and bring your own that you KNOW you can eat. Don't expect the host to overhaul the entire meal for you. If you have allergies for sure let the host know, but also tell them that you can bring dishes (explain what) since that is usually going to be easier anyways and ensures you avoid cross contamination. As a teen, when I went in my chicken-only phase I'd bring chicken to every family holiday because they'd only eat ham and turkey. When I went through a vegetarian phase I brought a few things to tide me over and made enough that others could try it (even though I knew they wouldn't touch my mashed cauliflower). Pretty simple.

Comment

I did what I thought was the "smart" thing and specifically asked anyone I wasn't sure about what their meat eating preferences were.
                              As far as I know my beans would be vegan because all they contain are a bunch of different beans, onions, ketchup, mustard and brown sugar.

Plus, I wouldn't be one bit offended if someone had a particular food issue and chose to bring their own grub.

Comment

Working...
                              X