Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Backyard3
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Update: Moving from Michigan to Apopka, FL (right outside of Orlando)-where to board?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Thanks for the input! We are moving down over Labor Day weekend, so will plan to start looking around then. Also, the barn that I boarded at in Michigan didn't require full vaccines/worming depending on fecal samples and health/age of horse and how long they have been receiving vaccines. My horse is also barefoot. Are there any barns that would be a little less rigid on vaccine/worming requirements? And, what are the minimum vaccine requirements in Florida?

Comment

I find it amusing when people say you just MUST have a covered arena to ride in the summer down here. It's all about what you're used to, I guess.

When I lived in Ohio, I boarded, and ALWAYS boarded somewhere with an indoor arena, because otherwise you can't ride 2/3 of the year. Spring is too wet, winter too cold + snow and ice are a hindrance. Summer was mostly doable outside, if you were okay with being dive-bombed by huge horse flies, but I usually rode inside in the summer too because um no thanks on the dive-bombs. I really only rode outside consistently in the fall, which I hated, I much prefer riding outside. I've been in Florida for ~2.5 years, in Ocala, and covered arenas are rare from what I see. I have my own farm now, without a covered arena, and can happily ride year round. Sure, the sun is brutal in the summer, so I usually ride around 7pm in the summer, or cover up with a sun shirt and wide brim on my helmet. But honestly, the flies and horse flies are WAY less than they ever were in summers/fall in Ohio. Fall, Winter, and Spring are beautiful and easy to ride outside. IMO, anyway, and my farm is sandy soil so it is extremely well drained. No problem to ride during or immediately after a downpour, especially since I put my grass "arena" at the top of a little hill.

Yes, November should be good weather to ship them down. That's when we moved in 2016, it was a super easy trip for them (Brook Ledge).

CenturyLink is also the only internet available at my house, and I can only get max 8 mbps. I work from home. It's not awful, but I definitely cannot do my work easily if someone is also playing video games or watching a streamed movie.

Florida requires yearly vaccinations, but I haven't found anything that specifies exactly which ones, just whatever your vet recommends for your area. Most vets recommend vaccs every six months down here, however, because there is no real winter to kill off the bugs for a few months.

I do not know of any state specified deworming requirements. Typically you don't have to deworm in the summer because it's too hot for them to survive.
      Custom tack racks!
      www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

Have you found a barn to board at? I would recommend where I board, but we are always full with a waiting list (in Sorrento, RK Farm). I ride with Marcea Funk at Rocking Horse. One of my former Pony Clubbers and Marcea's working student has taken over running the barn, while Marcea is just teaching.
        Lori T
        www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
        www.facebook.com/LoriTankelPhotography
        www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Comment

Originally posted by mmeqcenter View Post
          I

Florida requires yearly vaccinations, but I haven't found anything that specifies exactly which ones, just whatever your vet recommends for your area. Most vets recommend vaccs every six months down here, however, because there is no real winter to kill off the bugs for a few months.

I do not know of any state specified deworming requirements. Typically you don't have to deworm in the summer because it's too hot for them to survive.
          I do not believe Florida "requires" vaccinations - just a Coggins test every 12 mos. As for vaccinations, take your vets advice. Many boarding barns require vaccines. In general (in my experience) strangles is only given if you regularly compete at big shows with lots of ship ins. Most of my friends do a 6 mos cycle,and if you compete some shows require certain vaccines within 6 months of the event. Here is a great chart from a vet in the Tampa area: http://www.keystoneequine.com/What_Y...d_To_Know.html

Regarding worming in the summer, while it is true the eggs cannot survive in the manure if it is spread and its over 90 degrees, they certainly DO survive inside the horse. Many of my friends worm on egg counts; some barns I know require worming on a schedule.

Comment

Katie Freeman is also in Apopka. Haven’t been to her barn in years but see her and her students out and about at the shows. Might be worth looking into...Delta Equestrian is in Sorrento, may be a little far for you to commute but I know she has a few lesson and lease horses that are fun and kind.. A few different trainers frequent there for lessons, Hilda Donahue is one of them. Windsong is close to you and a lovely facility with friendly people and horses

Comment

Claudia Heath is in Apopka off of Rock Springs as well. She has some very nice lesson/lease horses, and the care is wonderful.

Comment

• Original Poster

Awesome! Thanks everyone! We are moving down over Labor Day weekend and plan to move my horse in November, so don’t plan to look at any barns until after we move. But we will be right off Rock Springs road, and would love to be able to keep him right down the street! 😁

Comment

Working...
                X