Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Curious - anyone know where some of the infamous 52 TBs are?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious - anyone know where some of the infamous 52 TBs are?

As the title says, with this apparently going around again, does anyone knows how any of them are doing. Some of the young ones should be hitting their peak performance years about now.

My theory is they were sold as a herd, forever fo be traded as a single unit, and the number of the herd must = 52. Obviously the well intentioned think they can cope, but reality soon sets in and bingo, they are listed again...

Sorry can't answer your question, i'm just amazed that the new year brought a wave of this again.
    "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

Just got into it with a lady on our local FB page who posted it with the "please share!!!" plea and myself and another person immediately were like NOOOOOO DONT. She was convinced that because it said Jan 2 that it was of this year. I told her that a 10 second google search would have confirmed that this has been circulating for like 5 years now.
      It amazes me how many people copy/paste/reshare stuff without ANY digging. Like not even opening up the original post, or googling its validity.

Comment

• Original Poster

It was legitimate 7 years ago and I remember a couple COTH members knew where some of the horses went. There was also a blog for 2 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by spacytracy View Post
          Just got into it with a lady on our local FB page who posted it with the "please share!!!" plea and myself and another person immediately were like NOOOOOO DONT. She was convinced that because it said Jan 2 that it was of this year. I told her that a 10 second google search would have confirmed that this has been circulating for like 5 years now.
          It amazes me how many people copy/paste/reshare stuff without ANY digging. Like not even opening up the original post, or googling its validity.
          I found the easiest response is to post a link to the Snopes article about it.

Comment

I know there was an update thread here on COTH a year or two ago with some updates on four or five of them... Have to see if I can find it.

Between the 52 thoroughbreds, and people sharing missing kid alerts that are months or years old (someone JUST shared one about a poor boy who was killed years ago... I can't imagine how his family must feel when that won't stop circulating...), I just wish people would take the time to check things before sharing. In a lot of cases just clicking the link you're sharing will answer whether it's current or not... sigh.
            "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

I got tagged in it by a well meaning non horsey friend today. I had to burst her bubble it was old..and that even if it weren't there is no room at my inn

Comment

Originally posted by caffeinated View Post
                I just wish people would take the time to check things before sharing. In a lot of cases just clicking the link you're sharing will answer whether it's current or not... sigh.
                TB's, missing kids, this politician eats babies, that one sleeps naked in a coffin....whatever the 'thing' just run a quick check please.

Adorable puppies and cats doing stupid things, those you can share without checking.

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

I very very likely have one, though not directly from the dispersal. I'd love to know more about him and will probably ping the jockey club about DNA testing (I have a good guess to parentage). It's unclear whether he is registered.

How he's doing: bought him on Craigslist as a green 5 year old, brought him up to training level eventing, then had to step back b/c we'd aggravated an old stifle injury. Getting back into regular work now. Best brain of any horse I've ever known. Was supposed to be a resale project, but now I'm very conflicted.

ETA: I saw the mare I think is his dam (who was def. one of the 52) as a giveaway on FB about a year ago. I replied to suggest she post here, but the owner had already found a place for her. Hopefully a safe landing.
                  Last edited by strangewings; Jan. 4, 2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I looked up Snopes and the horses were all rehomed quickly.

Comment

Yes, in 2011... I think most of us know they at least got rescued. It would be interesting to see where they have ended up now.

Comment

Originally posted by KBC View Post
                        My theory is they were sold as a herd, forever fo be traded as a single unit, and the number of the herd must = 52. Obviously the well intentioned think they can cope, but reality soon sets in and bingo, they are listed again...

Sorry can't answer your question, i'm just amazed that the new year brought a wave of this again.
                        Nope.

They were all separately rehomed back in 2011 when this happened. The "herd" of 52 is not together.

Well-meaning people who fail to do their homework share an old post on social media, and it recirculates once or twice a year. The horses already have homes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticky Situation View Post

Nope.

They were all separately rehomed back in 2011 when this happened. The "herd" of 52 is not together.

Well-meaning people who fail to do their homework share an old post on social media, and it recirculates once or twice a year. The horses already have homes.
                          Ahhh, should of written in 'joke' font..didn't think that anyone would even dream I was serious

Comment

Originally posted by KBC View Post

Ahhh, should of written in 'joke' font..didn't think that anyone would even dream I was serious
                            Haha ... sorry! Glad to know you were joking, but based on the number of people who still share it every year, it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone believed that!

Comment

My neighbor just posted on FB that the 52 horses are being sent to auction. I pointed out that it was very old news, and she got a bit huffy. Oh, well.

Rebecca

Comment

I just saw that on my town FaceBook page. I mentioned it was very old. I hope she takes the hint!

Comment

I had this posted today by possibly the least horsey person I know, a former coworker from several years ago.

I feel bad for whoever has the phone number in the listing. They must get real tired of this every few months.
                                  Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                                  you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

I just saw a brilliant meme - don't buy those 52 horses because their owners keep dying!
                                    www.settlementfarm.us

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by strangewings View Post
                                      I very very likely have one, though not directly from the dispersal. I'd love to know more about him and will probably ping the jockey club about DNA testing (I have a good guess to parentage). It's unclear whether he is registered.

How he's doing: bought him on Craigslist as a green 5 year old, brought him up to training level eventing, then had to step back b/c we'd aggravated an old stifle injury. Getting back into regular work now. Best brain of any horse I've ever known. Was supposed to be a resale project, but now I'm very conflicted.

ETA: I saw the mare I think is his dam (who was def. one of the 52) as a giveaway on FB about a year ago. I replied to suggest she post here, but the owner had already found a place for her. Hopefully a safe landing.
                                      Good to know a few found a good place. I'm guessing several (most?) are in good homes. It would be interesting to find a few doing higher levels of performance. The two that were blogged about (Jack & Jill?) were with a good trainer IIRC.

Comment

Here's an update on one of them:

https://www.facebook.com/185500052/posts/730353225976/

As a side note, it seems many of the resurrections if this thing can be traced back to a single Facebook user, who has started spreading it multiple times per year for several years. She's been told numerous times but somehow hasn't been set down... Seems almost malicious.
                                        "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Working...
                                        X