• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Upset by what I saw, am I being over-sensitive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upset by what I saw, am I being over-sensitive?

This forum is good for brutal truth so let me have it im being a baby.

This weekend my work hosted a clinic by a "natural horsemanship trainer". This is the second year in a row. Last year I was angry about what I saw but was convinced by co-workers that this was acceptable. It never sat exactly right with me but I didnt fight it. This year i was not looking forward to it. Please realize this is my job and these horses dont belong to me.

The first day started out bad. I pulled out my horse that Ive been working with for several months. A very hot reactive TB whose defense mode is easily triggered. When he first came in he was unruly and dangerous to handle. He's now sweet and he tries. Ive made it my goal to ensure his training sessions are calm and he maintains a good demeanor. I was working with him on backing out of my space and yielding his shoulders. He was doing so calmly. I was just going to allow him to lunge around me and move his feet as a reward. The "trainer" assumed I was walking to his hip to move his shoulder and took him from me. Within 30 seconds my calm horse is now high headed because the first thing he did was stick a flag in his face. He then has him moving around and jumping around to move his shoulders. so natuarally the horse is like im out of here and tried to leave. The trainer cracked him square in the nose with the stick. A loud crack was herd and the trainer says "did you all see him run into my stick?" At that point I am done. I quit this is bs to me.

So day two I am not participating. I watch a little because its my job and i dont want it to effect mh position. Foot roping. Sure, it can be benefical when done right. Move through the normal give to pressure and started wrapping a front leg up and asking the horse to move. A horse who has space issues, btw. So they have his inside leg tied up and they want him to move. "Trainer" encourages horse forward who is barely balancing, and as horse tries to come toward handler "trainer" encourages handler to hit horse in the face with a stick to keep him out. I left.

Day 3. I refused to participate, left for the day and wrote a letter to my boss, my boss's boss, and her boss about my concerns that this is abusive training. I get a text from a coworker saying how well the TB was doing that day with the "trainer." But do results validate this type of treatment?

Am I being over sensitive?

Hard to know without knowing the horse and exactly what went on there and also after you left. I don’t know if what you describe crosses the line into abuse or not and maybe your TB needed to be pushed more then you prefer, your friend said it was better by the end so maybe he needed a little push to be more accepting. Or not, wasn’t there, didnt see, don’t know you or the horse. Maybe s/he cracked the horse in the nose too hard, maybe you are a little over reactive to a strong, instant well deserved correction delivered in a fashion that the horse doesn’t realize came from the trainer but thinks they did it to themselves.. Don’t know. If trainer had repeated the action more then once in succession or waved the thing in the horses face to threaten and scare it, that would be inappropriate.

If you don’t care for a trainer or their methods, just don’t pay them to work with you or your horse. Don’t know that calling everybody to complain about abuse it appears others did not see as abuse accomplishes anything. Take a deep breath and don’t go to or watch any more of this persons clinics if you don’t care for their methods.

I take it you don’t own or manage the horse here and the owner did not object? And had to attend the clinic despite not liking it last year? If you disagree about this, perhaps it’s time to seek another situation that uses methods you agree with?

Mind you, seen some hellacious quackery and borderline abuse under the NH banner. Also seen some good, no nonsense horse handling that requires proper response from the horse or they get instantly corrected as another horse would correct them. Just no way to know which this was.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

Unfortunately it was not just once. Last year ge hit a horse in the nose so many times and so hard it gave her a nose bleed. And she wasnt being bad. Shes pushy and steps into your space but shes not aggressive or dangerous by any means

Just dont see any cause to hit a horse in the face, and especially not repeatidly. The horse whose leg was tied was a 10 minute session i would bet he was hit in the face at least 20 times.

I love my job,except for this weekend. Its not a training barn, these are all abused and neglected horses who live here the rest of their lives. I guess i needed more detail but I didnt want to write a novel

Comment

OK, it sounds like it was abusive last year and this year. Your choice to continue at this place or not if they think it’s OK. They aren’t going to change things they, apparently, are fine with, fact seems like they adore this person. I ran into stuff like this several times in 50 years of boarding out. always left those places Like I said, they aren’t going to change..but you can.

Its tough if you depend on horses you don’t own for rides with no say in management. But continuing with them just allows them to continue as they have been. Easy to get sucked in to liking what you are told to like but it’s a case of the emperor has no clothes but nobody wants to call it what it is. You spoke out and if nothing changes and you get told it was alright,, need to seek better horse folk.
        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

So is this a sanctuary that permanently takes in neglected horses and then has a NH trainer come in annually to do ground work? Is any work done in between?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
            So is this a sanctuary that permanently takes in neglected horses and then has a NH trainer come in annually to do ground work? Is any work done in between?
            Very minimal. Basic ground work to those who are halter broke, enough to stand for vaccinations and farrier work. No horses are ever ridden.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by findeight View Post
              OK, it sounds like it was abusive last year and this year. Your choice to continue at this place or not if they think it’s OK. They aren’t going to change things they, apparently, are fine with, fact seems like they adore this person. I ran into stuff like this several times in 50 years of boarding out. always left those places Like I said, they aren’t going to change..but you can.

Its tough if you depend on horses you don’t own for rides with no say in management. But continuing with them just allows them to continue as they have been. Easy to get sucked in to liking what you are told to like but it’s a case of the emperor has no clothes but nobody wants to call it what it is. You spoke out and if nothing changes and you get told it was alright,, need to seek better horse folk.
              Sadly I think you're right. If nothing changes I can't stay. I love the animals and what we do but this training program is not okay by me. Training we need, abuse we do not.

Comment

Sadly it sounds like 2 things are going on here. Sounds like you have feral horses forced to being worked with someone who may or may not realize these horses are not handled that much, and then when the NH trainer gets them into submitting, no one touches them regularly unless the vet or farrier needs to come. I have no experience with rescue sanctuaries so I'm sure there are far more horses than there is staff to handle them much.

Comment

I agree with you that no one should be striking a horse in the face with a stick and drawing blood.

I think you should document this in writing, stating dispassionately that during a training session by XX trainer you saw him strike horse YY on the head several times to the point of drawing blood. Be concise but specific; describe the stick, name the horse, state the date and approximate time it occurred and who else you noticed who was present and what they said or did about the blood/injury (did someone clean off the blood or treat the wound at the time or later?) If you can remember how many times he hit the horse's head, say that as well, or give an approximation. Details will augment your version if anyone denies it. State that this trainer has continued this behavior of hitting horses in the face with a stick and state the dates you observed it. Make sure it is clear that the horse was hit with a stick and that it was hit repeatedly ("at least ____ times in a short succession"); when I read your account it sounded like the horse was being touched/hit with a flag and that is a whole different matter (although drawing blood is not).

List each case of abuse and send a copy to the management and animal control. If it is a 501(c) non-profit, there will be a board of directors; send a notice to each of them as well. It's probable that nothing will come of this but it is a step in establishing a pattern and proof that the powers that be were notified.

If you want to keep your job, don't send a copy to animal control and make sure that the letter starts with a description of what the horse rescue does well and what you admire about the place, giving specific examples. Say something like, "I have hesitated addressing this issue because I do not want to paint a black mark on an otherwise wonderful organization, but I feel it is important to address problems and try to fix them so that Jane Doe Horse Rescue remains the steller organization that does so much good." Also, communicate the importances of appearances and that any training method which draws blood on an animal just looks bad to the public and to the donors. Use the term "we" when discussing desired changes. Emphasize that you want the rescue to be a success and you want to be a team player, criticizing from within to make things better.

You still might get fired.
                  "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

I might have missed this, but is the TB yours? IF so, I would have pulled him immediately or faster from this "trainer."
                    You don't treat horses in the manner you are describing. And tying up feet? I haven't heard of that in years and the last time I saw it done was by a supposed NH trainer that was highly suspect. It's used to establish domination over the horse by force. I always find that folk who want to "dominate" and especially by force are usually pretty insecure about their abilities and I would not trust a horse of mine to them with a gun to my head.

If not - then it is up to the owners - and if that is the barn, then sadly, they get the say in what happens. Even if you don't agree with it and you think it is wrong. Everyone has given you great advice on how to handle this. All I would add is that if you disagree with their policies - then find another job. By staying you tacitly agree with their ideas. I hope you get to choose whether you leave under your own power or theirs. Good luck.
                    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
                    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

Don't come for me - I didn't send for you.

Comment

I was brought up and taught from a very young age to never, ever hit a horse in the face, to never yank on the reins with a bit in their mouth and not to yank on a horse with a chain across it's nose. So watching a horse be hit in the face with what I'm guessing is a fiberglass pole with a flag on it would have mortified me. So I do not think you over reacted - especially since these are rescue horses in a sanctuary. That just makes it more horrific in my mind.

I left a private barn once because (among other things) the former owner/breeder of my horse wanted me to yank with full force on a leather lead with a chain wrapped around my horses whole nose to show him who was boss. When I objected to anything she said I "had" to do, she just kept telling me that she had two equine degrees from UT and she knew more than I did. I feel badly that I didn't leave sooner than I did, because no manner of logic or my 30+ years of horse experience was going to make her see that her methods were just wrong or make the situation any better.

I wish you luck in your situation. Thank you for working with theses horses with no home.
                      ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

It sounds like this facility has gone beyond scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a trainer and has settled on a fraud.

You're not being over sensitive and are doing the right thing by documenting and reporting back to the different layers of officialdom. I like findeight's example of the emperor has no clothes.

Absolutely do give your bosses a different perspective to chew on. Even if you don't see immediate changes, hopefully they'll mull on it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I am still so angry and upset but I firmly believe I am doing the right thing by the horses. I just hope i get a chance to do more.

It saddens me to think that the 20+ participants that were here are going home to treat their own rescue horses this way

If it were my personal horse I would have absolutely yanked him out! When i got home i went straight to my own boys and just hugged them they will never be treated that way!

Comment

"Natural horsemanship" is an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp." From the horse's point of view allowing a member of the World's Most Successful Predator Species to enter and control their world is wildly BAD idea.

I've been around long enough to remember the early days of Monty Roberts, the emergence of the Parellites, and now the Flag Waivers. There is nothing wrong using a round pen, body language, and longe whip to work a horse on the ground. But anything used can be abused. Indeed, the stock in trade of many of this ilk is their own form of abusive behavior. Or, at the opposite end of the spectrum, wildly complex and confusing movements and language for which you pay a lot of money to learn that, at the end of the day, won't work. Leaving the owner with an untrained horse that is sour on humans and maybe even has learned to disrespect humans making them very dangerous.

Walk away and find another venue more realistic in their approach to things. Ignore the taunts and insults they'll send your way.

Is this all part of some "rescue" program? If so then that's even worse 'cause rescue horses will almost always come with a bunch of baggage to start with. Use these idiotic "natural" systems on them and all you do is feed the kill pens that will ultimately receive them.

G.
                            Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

This is a rescue/sanctuary where the trainer comes for a clinic once a year, but the sanctuary horses are not handled this way, or indeed at all, over the year. Who attends the clinic? Is it for sanctuary volunteers, adopters of rescue horses, the general public?

What is the horse education level of the folks who work at the sanctuary and who attend the clinic? Often people attracted to volunteering for rescues can be newbies or quite naieve about horses.

Why this clinician? Is he coming free or low charge?

Is he a local name or a nobody or newbie trying to start out?

I certainly wouldn't quit my job over a bad choice clinician once a year. I would voice my concerns to the board and stay home from the clinics. And maybe suggest better clinicians.

Comment

"Did you see him run into my stick?" I saw a Tom Dorrence vid where the horse was trying to be pushy and did run into Tom's stick. The stick remained still and the horse bopped himself --- the horse was not hit, but punished itself.

I'll never condone any form of dominance, or frightening of a horse. Horses learn at their own speed and it is not a timed competition.

This is not acceptable - you will have to decide for yourself if you should stay, whether to keep body and soul together, or if yo can work elsewhere. Goodluck.
                                Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
                                  "Did you see him run into my stick?" I saw a Tom Dorrence vid where the horse was trying to be pushy and did run into Tom's stick. The stick remained still and the horse bopped himself --- the horse was not hit, but punished itself.

I'll never condone any form of dominance, or frightening of a horse. Horses learn at their own speed and it is not a timed competition.

This is not acceptable - you will have to decide for yourself if you should stay, whether to keep body and soul together, or if yo can work elsewhere. Goodluck.
                                  I saw a film clip several years ago with Tom Dorrance and Larry Mahan. Larry was saddling a Trakehner (IIRC) and when he took the slack out of the girth the horse tried to bite him. It was an aggressive move. Dorrance took the head and told Larry to girth him up. As soon as Larry started to again take up the slack the horse moved to bite him and Dorrance whacked the horse HARD under the chin with his cane. It took a half dozen or so whacks to get the horse to not try and bite. When it was done Dorrance looked at the camera and said, "I didn't teach this horse not to bite; I taught him not to move his head while being girthed up. Teaching not to bite is the next step."

G.
                                  Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                                    This is a rescue/sanctuary where the trainer comes for a clinic once a year, but the sanctuary horses are not handled this way, or indeed at all, over the year. Who attends the clinic? Is it for sanctuary volunteers, adopters of rescue horses, the general public?

What is the horse education level of the folks who work at the sanctuary and who attend the clinic? Often people attracted to volunteering for rescues can be newbies or quite naieve about horses.

Why this clinician? Is he coming free or low charge?

Is he a local name or a nobody or newbie trying to start out?

I certainly wouldn't quit my job over a bad choice clinician once a year. I would voice my concerns to the board and stay home from the clinics. And maybe suggest better clinicians.
                                    The horses used in the clinic are all halterable and used to the basics. Coming into feed daily, getting their feet done, vaccinations twice a year. But we arent a training facility. there's too many horses and not enough of us to work every horse. We do basic ground work with a few a day who need refreshing. and take on certain horses as our projects.

Our team is good, strong horse people. we dont all have the same opinion on training as we all come from different backgrounds.

The clinic is run though the company's campaign to teach rescues how to rehabilitate horses. why they chose this guy? i couldn't tell you. I dont know much about him. never heard of him til he came here.

Comment

I don't think you are being oversensitive at all, and I would consider it flat out animal abuse if he hit the horse so hard he made it bleed.

Personally, I think there is almost never a good reason to strike a horse in the nose, period. Certainly not with a stick. The only time I have ever done it is with an open hand, and that was only because the horse had bitten down on my finger and wasn't letting go. And of course, even then, it didn't require a very hard strike. Just enough to startle her and get her to let go.

That's not to say I let horses get away with biting, of course. But I do not think that striking a horse in the face is a good training or corrective technique. Especially not with a stick.

Comment

Who is the trainer?

Anyone remember the scene in Buck, with the yellow stud colt? Without context, I could write "this trainer took this colt, very frightened, and whacked it a few times, shook his stick at it aggressively, bucked it out, then said it was no good, abd chased it on a trailer and had it shot". Without actually being there, and knowing the context of the trainer's actions and horses' behaviours, it's hard to draw conclusions about it being abusive or not.

PETA advocates tell us that the act of sitting on a horse is abuse. Sometimes, abuse is in the mind and belief principles of the observer. Many of us would agree horse shoes are not a form of abuse, but a barefoot advocate might disagree, and a TWH trainer might use shoes that most would agree ARE abusive. Sometimes, it is clear that actions are unwarrented, cause harm and distress to the horse. The horse had a blood nose? We don't know if the horse was tapped on the face for being pushy, and had an undetected nasal cyst that burst, or did the trainer strike the horse with such force that blood was drawn and injury caused to that horse, and would have occurred with most horses.

A pushy horse can easily and quickly become a bitey, strikey horse, or just a quiet albeit "no personal space" love bug. Context here, perhaps, is warrented.

Comment

Working...
                                        X